General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Please, please, please.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-07 2:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Subject: Please, please, please....
Wear your bike helmets and please, please, please encourage everyone you know to wear one as well when they ride. I know pretty much every here always wears them, but I just felt compelled to reiterate this today. Sadly, I just lost a co-worker this morning who was in a solo biking accident on Sunday. He had just gotten engaged. He was so happy and declared that he was so excited to finally begin this brand new chapter in his life. If he had worn a helmet, he very likely would have survived this accident. It can't hurt to remind those we love to do this one simple thing. It may very well save their lives as well.

2014-04-07 2:22 PM
in reply to: cafenervosa

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Subject: RE: Please, please, please....
Originally posted by cafenervosa

Wear your bike helmets and please, please, please encourage everyone you know to wear one as well when they ride. I know pretty much every here always wears them, but I just felt compelled to reiterate this today. Sadly, I just lost a co-worker this morning who was in a solo biking accident on Sunday. He had just gotten engaged. He was so happy and declared that he was so excited to finally begin this brand new chapter in his life. If he had worn a helmet, he very likely would have survived this accident. It can't hurt to remind those we love to do this one simple thing. It may very well save their lives as well.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm the helmet nazi around these parts. I will ask random kids riding around the neighborhood where their helmet is. I've offered to buy some helmets, even. I have a coworker who doesn't wear a helmet, she says it messes up her hair. My reply to her has been "you know what really messes up hair?...Brains and blood" I also tell her that she has a responsibility to model the appropriate behavior because we work in a school. It's sad that when I ride my bike to work I'll see ten bikes and not a single helmet.
2014-04-07 2:31 PM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

Seattle

I am so sorry to hear this! Hang in there and keep being a good example. 

2014-04-07 4:07 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Miami
I am very sorry to hear this.

During my last race, I almost left transition without buckling my helmet because the buckle part was incorrectly tight and I didn't want to lose time fixing it. Well, I decided to "lose" 1 minute of my T1 time fixing it rather than riding with an unbuckled helmet that could cost me a penalty (that was my original thought). Well, 2 miles into the bike I crashed going downhill and cracked a couple of ribs. I can't thank enough having "lost" 1 minute fixing my helmet in transition. Who know what could've happened...
2014-04-07 4:13 PM

User image

over a barrier
Sorry to hear this!

From someone that has broken two helmets in crashes, you don't have to tell me twice.
2014-04-07 4:16 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Pro

I used to never wear a helmet unless it was in a race.  I can't say why, just a throwback to my childhood when it was unheard of.  Three years ago I was riding with my kid and looked back to see where he was just as another bike passed me.  I didn't hold my line when I looked back and my front tire hit the rear tire of the passing bike, sending me off the trail and over the 20 foot embankment (old railroad right of way).  It was wooded, and I went over the handlebars.  I distinctly remember thinkning, "I wish I had a helmet" as I covered my head with my arms.  I guess whatever powers there are look after stupid people because I landed in a giant tangle of vines......almost like a net.  I have never ridden without a helmet since.

Sorry about your friend.

2014-04-07 4:31 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Good to share, two bike crashes myself, both times helmet impacted asphalt. Lost a co-worker about 5 years ago due to a motorcycle accident. Kansas still doesn't require helmets, that would have saved his life.
2015-07-01 6:15 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I've had 3 crashes and each time my helmet broke instead of my head.
2015-07-01 7:20 AM

User image

Exton, PA
5 years ago a friend of mine was at an oly tri, parking was far away from transition so he threw his gear on the bike and rode down. With half his gear on the handlebars and no helmet on he coasted to transition at about 5 mph when something slipped down into the front wheel. In an instant he went over the handlebars smashing hi head into the curb. He woke up a couple hours later in the hospital with a concussion and several fractures to his eye socket.

I tell people this story every time I see them riding with out a helmet.

5 mph + crash with no helmet can cost you your life.

Sorry about your co-worker
2015-07-01 7:50 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I'm pretty convinced a helmet saved my life on wreck I had when I went over the handle bars head first into an embankment. Sorry to hear about your co-worker.
2015-07-01 8:00 AM
in reply to: EKH

Scottsdale, AZ
I ALWAYS tell my kids to wear their helmets! And I wear mine every time I ride with them.

Just back from a vacation in Flagstaff, which is a college town. I was amazed at the amount of people that were NOT wearing helmets. Weaving between cars packed with tourists, over train tracks, etc etc. just because you are riding a cruiser/commuter bike and not a road/tri bike doesn't mean you can't get just as hurt - or killed.

2015-07-01 8:21 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by Left Brain

I used to never wear a helmet unless it was in a race.  I can't say why, just a throwback to my childhood when it was unheard of.  Three years ago I was riding with my kid and looked back to see where he was just as another bike passed me.  I didn't hold my line when I looked back and my front tire hit the rear tire of the passing bike, sending me off the trail and over the 20 foot embankment (old railroad right of way).  It was wooded, and I went over the handlebars.  I distinctly remember thinkning, "I wish I had a helmet" as I covered my head with my arms.  I guess whatever powers there are look after stupid people because I landed in a giant tangle of vines......almost like a net.  I have never ridden without a helmet since.

Sorry about your friend.

I grew up the same way LB...no helmet on bikes and skateboards growing up. Didn't wear seat belts in cars and rode in the back of pick up trucks. Amazing we survived looking back at some of the things we did in our youth.

Over the winter, I was preparing to go on a bike ride and put a cap on my head to keep my head warm during the ride. I put my shoes on and went for a 25 mile ride and realized when I got home the helmet was on my work bench. I never knew I was riding without a helmet because of the cap.

I wear helmet all the time now (and my seatbelt which saved my life in a crash).
2015-07-01 3:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
So sorry to hear about your co-worker - my condolences to friends and family.

Like LB, I grew up in the 'free-hair' era and it was not until university, when I used my bike as a commuter vehicle/grocery-getter as well as a means of training, that I began wearing a lid. This after riding a dirt bike from the age of 13, ALWAYS with a helmet. The likelihood of a head injury and the need for a helmet on a bicycle just never occurred to us back then

Here where I live, in BC, Canada, it is a legal requirement to wear a helmet while cycling. Not sure if it is just a local bylaw, or a provincial reg., but it just makes sense.

OP may need to change her sig line to ' runs with scissors in a sheath '

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Please, please, please.... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Please help my swim....please

Started by Chuckhead
Views: 1138 Posts: 7

2011-12-22 10:01 AM alath

Help me Decide!!!! Please, please, please help!!!

Started by mscotthall
Views: 1339 Posts: 14

2009-07-10 6:02 PM bel83

Question, please give input! PLEASE HELP

Started by borsenik9
Views: 1650 Posts: 13

2009-04-16 10:59 AM tkd.teacher

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ride carefully - tragic accident

Started by tri42
Views: 1548 Posts: 4

2007-10-28 12:50 PM globalchaos

race-wear suggestions please!