General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 59m 4s
Overall Rank = 1195/2740
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 44/146
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:00am. Made coffee, showered, drank 1 Ensure Plus (350 cal), dressed, gathered gear/nutrition and prayed the weather would cooperate and got on the road. Drank a second Ensure Plus (350 cal) on the road and listened to the Spa channel on SiriusXM.
Event warmup:

Arrived to event a little before 5:45am. It was windy and cold so I stayed in the car to stay warm and waited for friends to arrive. Finally went in to transition about 6:10 and set up my gear. Bike was wet from overnight rain but I didn't worry about it. Got everything in place and went to Jason's spot to hand off water bottle. Left transition and waited while he went to the bathroom. All the while, I kept thinking they are going to call this off. It was so windy and last check of the weather showed thunderstorms starting around 7:30am. We made our way past the Ironman Village and walked towards the beach where the swim start is. Got suit all the way on and said another prayer. The water looked rough. Got in my wave group which I was happy that I was early this year but worried because the 35-39 guys were coming up right behind us. Kept moving forward towards the pier, then onto the pier. Felt like I was walking the plank because I just couldn't believe this was happening. All week I kept thinking it is going to be cancelled or they will cancel the swim or the bike. My mind was not really mentally prepared to do this. I had done the training so I should be ok but wow, I thought I was coming to get my bike and come back home to bed. Made it to the jump in spot to the water and off I went.
Swim
  • 47m 57s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

I cannot believe I actually swam this. It was so rough. I swallowed probably a gallon of water. Had a hard time spotting because of the fog and the chop was so high. Swam the breast stroke a lot more than I wanted just to help me site the buoys. Guys came up after the first turn at about the second buoy and plowed through us. The funny thing is I wasn't scared of the water condition, I actually thought this is kind of fun. They might as well have moved the swim across the seawall and onto the beach, and said swim out 900 meters and swim back. I saw a couple of girls freak out half way through and had to get pulled in. Overall I was very happy with my time because I sure thought I was going to come in just under an hour with how rough it was. Weakest sport of all 3 for me.
What would you do differently?:

Just keep swimming and don't breast stroke. It was really me against Mother Nature so I just hope she doesn't come again next year.
Transition 1
  • 03m 42s
Comments:

Great transistion time. Got everything on as fast as I could. Wet and cold.
Bike
  • 2h 51m 9s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.63 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my first ride on my new HED wheels. With new wheels and a strong tailwind, I was going out 24-25mph. I thought I should slow down to not burn up on my run but thought, WTH...I have never been this fast on my bike for a consistent amount of time...go for it. I passed a lot of people and once I started seeing the pros come back, I was so happy because I loved being in the race this early! Got to the San Luis Pass toll bridge and the rain started coming down. A little nervous about slipping but made it out ok. Actually thought this was kind of fun. The wind changed going back. I thought there was going to be a headwind and I was going to average 14mph but it was more of a crosswind. Got scary on the bridge with a few gusts and my bike being lifted a little but I was able to ride 18-19mph the whole time back. Right about the turn off the seawall I came upon Jason and was like "you got to be kidding me that I am here." Pretty cool because I never thought I would be at the same point in a race with him or Gaven.

Felt like I gave it my all out there.
Transition 2
  • 05m 52s

Been faster. I believe all the fluids I took in were just right but because it wasn't super hot, I wasn't sweating them out.
Run
  • 2h 10m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Jason and I were able to run together the entire time. It was great to have a partner. This wasn't my best run. I drank a lot and didn't feel great overall. My right foot started hurting right off the bat. We stopped and stretched the calf for a second. I walked every aid station and tried to stay under 10:00 min pace. We picked it up once we got to the beach and I started to feel my left calf cramp every time I picked up. I made it through and finished strong!

I realize I should have trained more than I did for the run. I drank the right amount that I was used too but it was too much due to the weather we had. I felt bloated and continued to pee during the course and after the run. Have a faster pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Went over to Kim and the kids to watch Gaven come by. Had a beer and then went to get my stuff to head home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Possibly the weather, but anyone can blame that. I did better than I thought I would in this weather. My bike was the fastest I had ever done, swim was better than I thought, run was the worst I have done but I felt I left everything out there and am super happy with what I did.

Event comments:

Third time to do this race. Will never miss it and really enjoyed it this year! I kept thinking it was going to be partially cancelled or all of it. The weather was crazy but I enjoyed it because how often do you get to race in these types of conditions.

Last updated: 2013-11-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:57 | 2112 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 59/146
Overall: 1534/2740
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: Out about 700 meters, right turn, south about 1000 meters, left turn, about 200 meters towards the exit.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:51:09 | 56 miles | 19.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 40/146
Overall: 1166/2740
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Tailwind going out, more of a crosswind going back coming from the water. A few gusts going back.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 89
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:10:24 | 13.1 miles | 09m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 44/146
Overall: 1195/2740
Performance: Average
Course: 3 loops
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-04-08 10:55 AM

User image

Houston
Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas

2014-04-18 1:44 AM
in reply to: #4978449

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas

Congrats on a good race.  Your bike sounds a lot like mine did, rain timing and all.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas

Started by tripletmom01
Views: 3554 Posts: 10

2010-04-29 6:08 AM SSMinnow

Started by ksmith76
Views: 1795 Posts: 1

2010-04-26 4:47 PM ksmith76

Started by hippotude
Views: 3334 Posts: 9

2010-05-03 8:03 AM hippotude

Started by roadrhino
Views: 2955 Posts: 12

2010-05-02 6:43 PM golfpro

Started by jpohlman
Views: 1771 Posts: 1

2010-04-25 9:04 PM jpohlman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.