General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ankle brace suggestions please Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-08 10:59 AM

Subject: ankle brace suggestions please
Looking for an ankle brace to give me a little bit up support while trail running. I seem to have a recurring problem of rolling ankles lately!

2014-04-10 8:21 AM
in reply to: wannatri?

Subject: RE: ankle brace suggestions please
wannatri?

A couple of questions regarding your ankle support. I am a certified athletic trainer. What kind of support are you looking for? Are you looking for support on the outside (lateral)? Through my experience I have found out that the ASO brace and the Mueller "The One" are the best. I am not endorsing their products nor do I make a profit from their merchandise. This is just my experience for the past 5 years. The athletes get a lot of support out of them, especially football lineman where a lot of ankle sprains happen (in the trenches). They both provides adequate support for inversions and eversion ankle sprains. It is not "hinged" which allows for a little more mobility. Hinged braces restrict your sid to side motion which is what you need on trail running. They are about 25-35 bucks. depending on where you find it online.

I use Mueller "the One". Works great for racquetball. I have had 4 avulsion fractures on my Left ankle and one of my ligaments is 100% full thickness tear anterior talofibular ligament. I have been waiting a while to get it looked out because of the triathlons I have entered. I will need Ankle reconstruction surgery.

I "sprain" my ankle about once every month. Since there is no ligament to sprain, my ankle subluxes (dislocates then slips back in). It's something that I have been dealing with for about 2 years now. Those two braces would be what I would use. Either or. They are almost identical. I use the mueller "the one" because I got it for free, but if I had to purchase one it would be out of those two.

Look on their website for sizing. (might even be one size fits most).

Hope this helps!

-Joe Di Biase
2014-04-10 4:39 PM
in reply to: wannatri?

Also,

Aside from a brace. I would recommend a home exercise plan to work the muscles around the ankle. This would strengthen your ankle. Once you have the brace, your body will start to RELY on the brace and make the ankle muscles work LESS (and weaker). If you strengthen your ankle at least 3-4 times a week and only use the brace for when you run that is fine. A brace is a "bandaid", your muscles need to be worked to build that strength to make your ankle stronger. When your ankle is gaining strength, I would start to slowly ween yourself off the brace. It is a great tool to use, but you're built with muscles, use em!

Hope this helps!

-Joe
2014-04-11 10:00 AM
in reply to: jdibiase82

Originally posted by jdibiase82

Also,

Aside from a brace. I would recommend a home exercise plan to work the muscles around the ankle. This would strengthen your ankle. Once you have the brace, your body will start to RELY on the brace and make the ankle muscles work LESS (and weaker). If you strengthen your ankle at least 3-4 times a week and only use the brace for when you run that is fine. A brace is a "bandaid", your muscles need to be worked to build that strength to make your ankle stronger. When your ankle is gaining strength, I would start to slowly ween yourself off the brace. It is a great tool to use, but you're built with muscles, use em!

Hope this helps!

-Joe

Agreed Joe. I still have the rubber band and lots of exercises given to me from my physical therapist. Do I always do them? No. Should I? Yes.

I have sprained each ankle twice in the last year. I just thought I might want to wear something on the trails where the terrain is technical while I'm still in the healing process. I hate not being able to run!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ankle brace suggestions please Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Any run GPS brand suggestions BESIDES my 2 POS Garmins please

Started by keepitup
Views: 1702 Posts: 11

2011-09-11 1:16 PM pholahan

Trying to pick a bike, suggestions please

Started by michicks
Views: 3397 Posts: 14

2010-08-22 1:40 AM vtloki

Woman's Heart Rate Monitor Suggestions Please!

Started by blbriggs
Views: 637 Posts: 5

2009-01-24 11:02 AM Gregkl

Ankle Braces

Started by jdubs23
Views: 479 Posts: 3

2008-06-26 10:27 PM bulldog520

Suggestions for sunglasses please.

Started by tricat13
Views: 847 Posts: 5

2008-01-11 5:56 PM himself
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 25, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I did more therapy, more stretches, more exercises and stopped running for over six months. I am just coming back to triathlon after a year off due to this ankle injury.

date : May 25, 2009
comments : 0
In the fall I was running on some trails and rolled my ankle pretty bad. I took a few weeks off from running and let it heal. Every so often, my ankle feels swollen, or off.
date : February 21, 2007
While stability can be obtained through external supports such as casting and bracing, the best brace is your own muscles, ligaments and tendons. Achieve this stability by training with instability.

date : July 30, 2006
Injuries do happen, and we would like to discuss a few injuries that are common. All of these injuries can fall under the category of what are commonly called overuse injuries.
date : July 30, 2006
Besides the obvious rest and strengthening/PT around the ankles, what can I do to further find the root cause and correct it? Also, what are doctors’ stances on active release?

date : October 30, 2005
Been having ankle and achilles pain. Went to sports med/therapy clinic...was given stretches to help achilles and had an appointment made for getting orthotics.
date : April 24, 2005
It sounds like your ankle has seen plenty of mileage and, by the description of your surgeon’s plan, that you have damage to the articular cartilage that caps your talus bone.

date : April 9, 2005
The only time it hurt is when I stretched my left calf. I guess, "flexing" the ankle the way you do when stretching your calf is what was hurting it. The place it hurt is just fore of the ankle bone.