General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool Closed--GRRRR! Taining/performance impacted? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-09 9:39 AM

User image

Subject: Pool Closed--GRRRR! Taining/performance impacted?
I woke up very early this morning to get my 2 hours in the pool today only to find out the pool is now closed for the next 2 weeks. This week and next are the 2 highest hours of volume for my IM training plan. I was to put 5 hours in the pool this week and 5 hours next week. I really don't have a way to go to another pool based on my work schedule. I have put in all hours and workouts in the pool over the past 4 months. I will be able to swim the last 3 weeks before my IM event.

Here are my questions:

1. Any thoughts on impact on my pool training? Will missing these next two long weeks of swimming be a major impact on my ability to perform on race day?
2. I can substitue the swimming for running or riding on some of the days but I already missed todays chance completely for those 2 hours in the pool. I don't have time set aside to make those workout hours up this week. I will miss about 3-4 hours total this week from a planned 17 hour week due to this pool closure and my work schedule the next few days. Thoughts or suggestions?

For next week (this will by my planned longest week of about 18 hours)
1. I already know I will have a hard time getting all 18 hours in due to work schedule again. I will get the very long runs and rides in but will miss about 3-4 hours again. And now may not get to swim at all. Any thoughts on how this will impact my performance on race day?
2. Any suggestions?
3. Should I try and make up any hours the week following, after next, which is meant to be a pull-back week to 10 hours? I will will be only 4 weeks out from race day.

I have not missed my planned workout hours for the past 4 months. I have done all the very long weeks of 12-16 hours and the shorter 8-12 hour weeks. Will messing up the two largest volume weeks of training have a negative impact on my race day performance?

I am very concerned/nervous that I will suffer for not being able to do all I can this week and next. Especially missing swim workouts.

Thoughts, questions, encouragement or discouragment all welcomed.

Thanks.

2014-04-09 10:07 PM
in reply to: rcwso

User image

Richland, Washington
Subject: RE: Pool Closed--GRRRR! Taining/performance impacted?
Yikes, that's not a good thing. The pool near me has learned to call me before closing the pool for an extended period of time.... they then make sure I have somewhere to go to swim so I don't freak out.

Do you have any other pools nearby that you can use?
2014-04-09 11:47 PM
in reply to: Swimaway

User image

Expert
There are no other pools you can use???
2014-04-11 6:39 AM

User image

i can't vouch to how good they are, but there are land-based training workouts that you can do to help with your swimming - obviously won't be the same as being in the pool

http://www./2013/11/dry-land-strength-training-swim-workout-require...

what about on the weekend - is there a pool you could at least use then? even if you couldn't make it during the week
2014-04-14 10:45 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

The problem I have is that my work schedule is different everyday. I work daytime hours but the actual hours available to swim or workout are different. So when at work I can make sure to jump away when the pool is open with my changing daily schedule. That is because there is a pool at my actual workplace. That is the one that is closed.

Yes, there are other pools in my area but my work schedule really makes it hard. The couple of pools that I have looked at have lap times but they are when I am at work. And they don't have evening times. They very early morning which I would do anytime but I am at work by then. I am checking into a couple of more to see if it will work out this week.

What I did last week was put more time in on the bike. I was afraid I would miss a couple of big workouts due to my busy work schedule last week but I just made it work and was able to do almost the entire time volume required. I only missed about 1.5 hours out of 17.5 for the week. It was actually a confidence booster for me to put so much in on the bike and see how my body reacts. This week I am putting time in on the bike an run as well. I hope to get to the pool 1-2 times.

I was more concerned that I was going to miss a couple of big workouts last week and this and now it looks like I will get almost all the time in I need this week. I still might not get all the swimming but I feel better about it today. If I can get 1-2 swims in this week and keep it up the rest of the training I feel confident that I will be ok.

Thanks. I will find out in about 5 weeks if I hurt myself by not swimming last week or not.
2014-04-24 8:56 PM

User image

New user
Any chance to get in open water? That's what I've been doing for the last week and a half. Great race training since I feel completely different in OW with my wetsuit than the pool.

This is coming from a Texas gal where they're in the upper 60s. YMMV.

2014-04-24 11:01 PM
in reply to: Quix

User image

My pool opened again this week and I was able to get in a couple of swims already and will swim again the remainder of the training plan. I feel comfortable about my swim overall.

What I did the past 10-12 days was add time on the bike and run. I still did the total volume of time based on my training plan but simply substituted time in the water for time on the bike or run. I feel good about that and am actually glad I put some more time in on the bike.

We will see what happens in 3.5 weeks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool Closed--GRRRR! Taining/performance impacted? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Do cold temperatures impact your performance?

Started by chevy57
Views: 1591 Posts: 13

2012-04-22 2:04 PM chevy57

Travel impact on first HIM/ IM

Started by BeginnerMan
Views: 908 Posts: 7

2009-02-04 10:21 AM cathyd

IMLP Bike Course - Taining ability to get nutrition...

Started by Hudnick
Views: 888 Posts: 4

2007-05-09 8:59 PM MForger18

How close is too close

Started by Tell3131
Views: 1042 Posts: 10

2007-05-08 8:49 PM Tell3131

Coaching and Improving performance

Started by mauro1981
Views: 1792 Posts: 4

2004-12-07 8:20 AM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 3
Do you wonder how aging impacts performance—and what you can do to retain youthful fitness?

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.