General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First full sprint by myself, which catagory to enter... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-09 9:46 AM

Subject: First full sprint by myself, which catagory to enter...
I need some advise. I will be competing in my first full spint by myself, I usally am part of a relay team and ride the bike leg. My bike times are about 40-43 depending on the race. But this will be my first swim, bike run all by myself! I am a 28 year old "retired" Division 1 athlete, i play rugby now and ride for fun. I have done some trial times and my swim 750 meter swim is right at 18 minutes, bike ranged 40-43 and my 5 k is usally around 32. But i figured i would tackle a sprint alone.
I am 5'9 and right under 200 pounds, pretty athletic even though I ahve put on 20 pound since I graduated 5 years ago...
Do I enter the age group catagorie, Athlena catagorie (for this race its anyone over 160) or the novice since it is technically my first full one?

Help I dont want to make people amd at the race because i am in a catagorie thats unfair... my goals for this race is 1:29! under 1:30!!!

Thanks for your time in reading this and your help.

Kelly

2014-04-09 10:22 AM
in reply to: kstiles21

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: First full sprint by myself, which catagory to enter...

You can enter into the age group without angering anyone. Basically everyone is an age-grouper. It's not necessary to race as Athena even if you meet the criteria. You could if you want to though. See what entering as a Novice does. It's not necessary either, even for first timer. Typically possibilities for this this might be having a late wave for all novices to avoid having faster/aggressive people swim up on them, or possibly having a "swim buddy" or "swim angel" along for the swim. Perhaps just a more identifiable cap.

2014-04-09 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by kstiles21

I need some advise. I will be competing in my first full spint by myself, I usally am part of a relay team and ride the bike leg. My bike times are about 40-43 depending on the race. But this will be my first swim, bike run all by myself! I am a 28 year old "retired" Division 1 athlete, i play rugby now and ride for fun. I have done some trial times and my swim 750 meter swim is right at 18 minutes, bike ranged 40-43 and my 5 k is usally around 32. But i figured i would tackle a sprint alone.
I am 5'9 and right under 200 pounds, pretty athletic even though I ahve put on 20 pound since I graduated 5 years ago...
Do I enter the age group catagorie, Athlena catagorie (for this race its anyone over 160) or the novice since it is technically my first full one?

Help I dont want to make people amd at the race because i am in a catagorie thats unfair... my goals for this race is 1:29! under 1:30!!!

Thanks for your time in reading this and your help.

Kelly

First of all Kelly welcome to BT!

It's up to you on whether you want to "compete" against those in your own age or against those in your weight class. That's intiredly up to you. In most tris there are more people in the Age Group category than in the Athena or Clydesdale category. Also the Athena/Clyde categories there's no age divisions. If you're a competitive person do you want to stack yourself up to an age group or "big" person category?

In some small races there may only be 3 to 5 people in the Athena/Clyde divistion but there might be 10-15 n the Age Group division. So would you feel better if you were first of 3 in your Athena division or 4th out of 20 in your Age Group division?

But as a beginner in this sport does it really matter? You're testing yourself and the goal is to cross that finish line I would imagine. You can always go back and look at results and see yourself how you stacked up against the division you did not register for. Doesn't matter what others think, you're doing this for YOU!

Also, I have to ask, are you male/female? I ask because you say you play Rugby and your name is Terry. Please don't tell me your SO's name is Pat, LOL!

2014-04-09 10:27 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Basically you qualify for any one of the three, so enter the one you want. No one is going to get mad at you no matter how you enter the race.

Age group will be the most competitive(probably)
Athena and Novice will be less competitive depending on who shows up.
The novice group may give you more confidence in the water if the swim scares you.
2014-04-09 11:38 AM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Yes, welcome to BT!

As others have mentioned, you probably can't go wrong with either choice. If it were me, I'd choose the novice division. This is your first one on your own, so embrace your novice-ness! The comraderie with the other novices could be something really cool. Good luck and have fun!

2014-04-09 12:45 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by reecealan
Also, I have to ask, are you male/female? I ask because you say you play Rugby and your name is Terry. Please don't tell me your SO's name is Pat, LOL!

Well if she's asking about entering as an Athena...
Plus you said yourself (as she originally posted) that her name was Kelly, not Terry.

Just poking some fun - rough post - we all have 'em!

2014-04-09 3:54 PM
in reply to: CycloneVM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by CycloneVM

Originally posted by reecealan

Well if she's asking about entering as an Athena...
Plus you said yourself (as she originally posted) that her name was Kelly, not Terry.

Just poking some fun - rough post - we all have 'em!

Not much sleep last night for me. I don't know why I typed Terry, I meant Kelly which is a name for boys and girls, I knew many gents named Kelly. But a gal playing Rugby is a rare find so I just wanted to make sure our NEW triathlete friend knows that Athena division is female.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First full sprint by myself, which catagory to enter... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Sprint This Saturday - First time Nerves

Started by PESawyer
Views: 1699 Posts: 21

2012-07-05 1:24 PM PESawyer

First ever DNF - and did to myself

Started by ckb_nc
Views: 901 Posts: 5

2012-04-29 12:28 PM RRH_88

Entering a tri before first scheduled tri

Started by Lisavg
Views: 901 Posts: 14

2011-06-30 2:04 PM jillian_o

First tri coming up...enter clydesdale or novice?

Started by Trail_Runner
Views: 1023 Posts: 8

2008-02-07 11:29 AM Trail_Runner

I just entered my first..uh biathlon?

Started by Det
Views: 591 Posts: 7

2005-05-04 2:02 AM zagagirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
comments : 0
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.
date : December 17, 2007
author : GloriaTouchet
comments : 2
As women, many times our identity is lost by all that we do and everyone that we take care of. In the end, I accomplished that and so much more. Along the way, I rejuvenated and redefined myself.