General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Let's talk tires! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-10 11:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Subject: Let's talk tires!
I'm looking at getting new tires for the upcoming season, and I'm trying to decide between two options: Splitting hairs, yes, but that's what these forums are for! Both will have latex inner tubes and be mounted to FLO 90/Disc Combo.

Conti GP4000s or Conti Force/Attack II

Discuss.

2014-04-10 11:31 AM
in reply to: pburnett

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Let's talk tires!
4000s

The Combo pack doesn't have enough proof/data that it's "better" to not just get the 4ks
2014-04-10 12:04 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

I would get the 4000S because if you look hard enough, they can be had cheaper.  I've gotten mine for as low as $33 each including shipping.  I have never seen the attack/force combo that cheap...and as already mentioned above, there isn't anything I've seen to prove that the attack/force combo is any faster.  It's possibly slower.  Add to the fact that FLO and Zipp both recommend the 23mm 4000S tire for their wider rims and I think for now the choice is pretty clear.

2014-04-10 3:27 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

4000S for the win. Unless you race against me.

2014-04-10 6:12 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
another 4000s vote. And damn a 90/disc combo is going to be nasty aero!!!
2014-04-10 6:42 PM
in reply to: m.a.burghart

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

2014-04-11 6:56 AM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I was discussing this same topic with some of my hardcore roadie friends, and they brought up a really interesting point. They ride, and race, mostly on Gatorskins. Their point, and it's a decent one, is that a flat will more than kill any time gains made by switching to fast tires. They race crits on Gatorskins.

I still haven't bought a new set of tires, and I've been mulling over the risk/reward calculus for a while - odds of actually getting a flat v. time lost v. speed gained v. flat risks of Gatorskins v. 4000s . . .

Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?
2014-04-11 8:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon I was discussing this same topic with some of my hardcore roadie friends, and they brought up a really interesting point. They ride, and race, mostly on Gatorskins. Their point, and it's a decent one, is that a flat will more than kill any time gains made by switching to fast tires. They race crits on Gatorskins. I still haven't bought a new set of tires, and I've been mulling over the risk/reward calculus for a while - odds of actually getting a flat v. time lost v. speed gained v. flat risks of Gatorskins v. 4000s . . . Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

I train with Gatorskins but there's no way I'd ever race on them.  They have terrible aero and rolling resistance qualities when compared to something like the 4000s.  The watt savings when using 4000s vs Gatorskins is about 5 watts per wheel.  I would never give up 10 watts of free speed.

Al Morrison, who does the rolling resistance analysis for his site: biketechreview.com, has stated the time lost using Gatorskins vs 4000s is about 3-4 seconds per mile.  Doesn't sound like a lot but that's like 6-8 minutes over the course of an IM bike ride.  I can change a tube much faster than 6-8 minutes.  The shorter the distance obviously the less of a time savings vs changing a flat.

All this assumes the Gatorskin would not have flatted when the 4000s did and that's an ignorant assumption to make.  The 4000s is is a pretty stout tire in its own right.  That's why it's such an amazing tire.  It rolls great, has great aero qualities and it's a pretty durable tire.  The Gatorskin is very durable but rolls like crap and is not all that aero.  What punctures a 4000s would probably puncture a Gatorskin.  You also must remember that most flats are due to user error.  I think the statistic is something like 90% of flats are pinch flats which are caused by poor installation of the tube and tire.  A pinch flat is going to happen regardless of what tire was used.  Good luck changing a Gatorskin out on the race course if that's the case.

I don't see any reason to run the Gators vs the 4000s on the miniscule chance of enhanced puncture prevention vs the 4000s.  Especially knowing how much time is lost and the fact most flats are pinch flats.

There's also the issue of ride quality.  The 4000s is a more comfy ride than the Gators.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2014-04-11 8:45 AM
2014-04-11 11:36 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Good luck changing a Gatorskin out on the race course if that's the case.

Those Gatorskins tires are so tough to put back on! Good luck indeed changing these on the race course.

4000S ftw! :D
2014-04-11 11:50 AM
in reply to: pburnett

I'm running Schwalbe Ironman tubeless tires on my Flo 90s and Disc using Orange Sealant and Stan's rim tape.
2014-04-11 4:38 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Jason N

I would get the 4000S because if you look hard enough, they can be had cheaper.  I've gotten mine for as low as $33 each including shipping.  I have never seen the attack/force combo that cheap...and as already mentioned above, there isn't anything I've seen to prove that the attack/force combo is any faster.  It's possibly slower.  Add to the fact that FLO and Zipp both recommend the 23mm 4000S tire for their wider rims and I think for now the choice is pretty clear.

I agree, I still get pings from Amazon once in awhile for the older GP4ks cheap. 

FWIW, Jackmott posted this over in a ST thread the other day about tires, apparently on a FC303 aero wise the Attack was a bit faster at typical race yaws.  TH3FRB stated he may use the attack/force and send them to TomA for some rolling data, which would be nice to end any Crr speculation:

2014-04-11 6:13 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon I was discussing this same topic with some of my hardcore roadie friends, and they brought up a really interesting point. They ride, and race, mostly on Gatorskins. Their point, and it's a decent one, is that a flat will more than kill any time gains made by switching to fast tires. They race crits on Gatorskins. I still haven't bought a new set of tires, and I've been mulling over the risk/reward calculus for a while - odds of actually getting a flat v. time lost v. speed gained v. flat risks of Gatorskins v. 4000s . . . Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

The counter point to that is that your slower than your potential for every race you enter....even the ones that you would have never gotten a flat in.

If flats were so common that most people got at least one flat during every race...then yes, I would understand the point being made by your roadie friends.  But the fact is that most people do not flat...even when using fast tires.  So I rather be faster and just deal with the flat if I have bad luck.

2014-04-11 7:04 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

The counter point to that is that your slower than your potential for every race you enter....even the ones that you would have never gotten a flat in.

If flats were so common that most people got at least one flat during every race...then yes, I would understand the point being made by your roadie friends.  But the fact is that most people do not flat...even when using fast tires.  So I rather be faster and just deal with the flat if I have bad luck.

Funny, I ride with a roadie that uses nothing but Gatorskins.  Over the past year he's flatted twice with me riding along with him, myself zero flats on the GP4000s!

If the race is that important to you and need more safety margin for piece of mind then use Bontrager TRL sealant in the latex tube.  Doesn't hurt Crr and seemed to work pretty well in the somewhat controlled ST testing.

2014-04-11 7:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Donto

Funny, I ride with a roadie that uses nothing but Gatorskins.  Over the past year he's flatted twice with me riding along with him, myself zero flats on the GP4000s!

If the race is that important to you and need more safety margin for piece of mind then use Bontrager TRL sealant in the latex tube.  Doesn't hurt Crr and seemed to work pretty well in the somewhat controlled ST testing.

I train with gatorskins and have flatted about 7 times in the past 6 months.  I ride a lot though, and commute on some pretty crappy roads.  About 5 of those flats were in a 4 week span when it rained a lot and glass had an easier time sticking to the tire.

Gatorskins do help...but they are not a 100% solution to flats.

Edited by Jason N 2014-04-11 7:52 PM
2014-04-11 10:18 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Extreme Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Originally posted by Donto

I agree, I still get pings from Amazon once in awhile for the older GP4ks cheap. 

FWIW, Jackmott posted this over in a ST thread the other day about tires, apparently on a FC303 aero wise the Attack was a bit faster at typical race yaws.  TH3FRB stated he may use the attack/force and send them to TomA for some rolling data, which would be nice to end any Crr speculation:

Thats the data that was making me wonder. They are basically the same tire, but that wind tunnel data, plus the attack "should" have a lower CRR (less rubber) than the GP4000s.

Racing on Gatorskins! No thanks!

Good to see a nice discussion though!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Let's talk tires! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lets talk saddles and tires

Started by Puppetmaster
Views: 958 Posts: 9

2010-03-18 5:29 PM nscrbug

Let's talk Breakfast

Started by latrina
Views: 1301 Posts: 5

2008-09-07 5:42 PM fendermh1027

Let's talk Bento Boxes/Fuel Boxes...

Started by RunningJayhawk
Views: 1716 Posts: 7

2008-04-02 7:41 PM sty

Let's talk titanium...

Started by basscycle23
Views: 1729 Posts: 17

2008-08-16 4:36 PM trithat

Let's talk taper and food

Started by cavaliercrazy
Views: 900 Posts: 7

2004-09-12 10:55 PM Rowdy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 10, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with AdventureBear, aka Coach Suzanne on her coaching philosophy, approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?
date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.

date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.
date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.

date : September 6, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
It depends on your preference and what's important to you. I'll list some of the beliefs that are out there and comment on a few.