of 2

2014-04-11 1:22 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: People are ***holes!

Originally posted by Left Brain

Overwhelmingly, people are NOT ***holes.  Unfortunately, if 500 cars pass you on your ride today and 1 or 2 act like idiot morons it's easy to see all people in that light.  I enjoy people...I enjoy dealing with them every day, and I know without hesitation how good they inherently are. 

BUT....hear this.....the number of people who drive distracted/impaired in some way is mind boggling.  They are in a car, you are on a bike......... proceed accordingly.  

AND, if you ever get the chance to show one of the idiot morons the error of their ways....by all means, don't pass up the opportunity.

^^^ This

2014-04-11 2:25 PM
in reply to: gotbitten

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by gotbitten throwing in the some cyclists don't help the attitude and IN NO WAY IMPLYING THE OP OR ANY OTHER POSTER WASN'T AS FAR OVER AS COULD POSSIBLY BE ON ANY RIDE. I ride a lot and constant think thinks like, man, what if someone nails me from behind in this part where I don't have a shoulder to ride on. yesterday though, after I had packed it up and was driving in my car, I came upon a group of cyclists - all riding side by side strung out across the road so as I came around the corner, there they are, blocking the road and giving me no choice but to go into the other lane - on the corner! I was tempted to pull over, show them my bike and yell at them, 'I'm a cyclist too, don't be an ***hole out there and screw us all!" there is NO excuse for a group ride to ride even 3 people side by side much less 5 people. 2 people I can deal with, any more is just ***hole behavior that unnecessarily hogs the road. there is the say, you own a car, not the road. same goes for the cyclist, you own a bike, not the road. that said, I would still rather have a bike buzz my car than the jerks in the cars nearly clipping me with their mirrors whilst on my bike

Wrong.

Your choice is to slow down until there is a safe place to take the oncoming lane and complete your pass, just like you would if there was a slower vehicle in front of you. The rules of the road still apply whether it is a bike or a car in front of you. 

2014-04-11 3:30 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Originally posted by gotbitten throwing in the some cyclists don't help the attitude and IN NO WAY IMPLYING THE OP OR ANY OTHER POSTER WASN'T AS FAR OVER AS COULD POSSIBLY BE ON ANY RIDE. I ride a lot and constant think thinks like, man, what if someone nails me from behind in this part where I don't have a shoulder to ride on. yesterday though, after I had packed it up and was driving in my car, I came upon a group of cyclists - all riding side by side strung out across the road so as I came around the corner, there they are, blocking the road and giving me no choice but to go into the other lane - on the corner! I was tempted to pull over, show them my bike and yell at them, 'I'm a cyclist too, don't be an ***hole out there and screw us all!" there is NO excuse for a group ride to ride even 3 people side by side much less 5 people. 2 people I can deal with, any more is just ***hole behavior that unnecessarily hogs the road. there is the say, you own a car, not the road. same goes for the cyclist, you own a bike, not the road. that said, I would still rather have a bike buzz my car than the jerks in the cars nearly clipping me with their mirrors whilst on my bike

Wrong.

Your choice is to slow down until there is a safe place to take the oncoming lane and complete your pass, just like you would if there was a slower vehicle in front of you. The rules of the road still apply whether it is a bike or a car in front of you. 

^^^^This!!!

In Pa the law says you need to give 4ft when passing someone on a bike, that means you can't legally pass any cyclist unless you cross over into the other lane(roads just are not that wide).
2014-04-11 4:09 PM
in reply to: SR2518

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northbrook
Look on the bright side...

You stay on your trainer and become faster than everyone else around you because:

- You don't stop for stop signs or red lights
- You don't coast
- You ride as hard as you can handle and if you pass out, no worries, you will fall on your bike or the floor. No road rash

2014-04-11 5:22 PM
in reply to: Maks Tri

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Maks Tri Look on the bright side... You stay on your trainer and become faster than everyone else around you because: - You don't stop for stop signs or red lights - You don't coast - You ride as hard as you can handle and if you pass out, no worries, you will fall on your bike or the floor. No road rash

Haha

Con:

Your soul gets sucked out of you and lies in a puddle on the floor mixed with your sweat.

2014-04-11 8:03 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Originally posted by Maks Tri Look on the bright side... You stay on your trainer and become faster than everyone else around you because: - You don't stop for stop signs or red lights - You don't coast - You ride as hard as you can handle and if you pass out, no worries, you will fall on your bike or the floor. No road rash

Haha

Con:

Your soul gets sucked out of you and lies in a puddle on the floor mixed with your sweat.

Great points! Haha thanks I appreciate everyone's comments! And I completely agree that there are plenty of great people out there... And just a few people ruin it.. But I would say 75% of people don't give cyclists enough room.. I think we have the 3ft law too.. But not many people follow it? As for now I'm going to keep my eye out for better places to ride but I live in a very populated area so I'm not holding my breath! 3 hours on the trainer today.. NOT Fun!

2014-04-12 2:26 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Don't ever come to Saigon then. Six inches would be really generous. About 50% of traffic doesn't even stop for red lights. Turning left or right from any lane on red without reducing speed appears to be perfectly legal--probably 90% of cars and motorbikes do it, I've never seen anyone stopped for it, and most local acquaintances I asked seemed to think it was okay. I do all of my riding on my trainer or in loops of an industrial park with little traffic other than motorbikes during the shift changes--have still seen fatal accidents in there. But I have to ride 5 km to and from the park--it scares the sh... out of me.

Same here in Thailand. I can't run on roads because all of the crazy dogs.
2014-04-12 7:13 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Originally posted by mike761

Wrong.

^^^^This!!! In Pa the law says you need to give 4ft when passing someone on a bike, that means you can't legally pass any cyclist unless you cross over into the other lane(roads just are not that wide).

Pennsylvania law, like that of many states, also limits the number of riders who may ride abreast to two, not five as gotbitten witnessed here. His point is valid, cyclist need to follow the laws if they want motorists to do the same. But really, absolutely no reason to pass on a corner.

2014-04-12 7:30 PM
in reply to: SR2518

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
I'm with LB, I don't think all people are a holes at all. There are bad drivers, drivers that text while driving etc, and there are moron cyclists out there as well. Group rides where literally 20+ riders run the light that had already changed (saw that yesterday) just so they could stay with the group wtf? Its no wonder some drivers think most all cyclists should be hood ornaments. It's a fact of life if you ride on the road, you either deal with it or you don't. A word of caution: 2000 lb car, 20 lb bike, car wins, EVERY TIME! And when you catch that guy who just breezed you at the next red light, you might want to hold your tongue (and your middle finger). Buddy of mine lets him have it, F bombs and all. Guy takes off and disappears, 15 minutes later comes up behind him and his passenger drills my friend in the back with a beer bottle! The world is full of crazies!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » People are ***holes! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Fair or am I just an A hole Pages: 1 2

Started by Coach Gil
Views: 4586 Posts: 48

2013-03-05 7:49 AM wannabefaster

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3066 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

Jersey Swim Holes Unavailable!

Started by AikiPapi
Views: 583 Posts: 2

2005-08-24 3:03 AM Casey Shaw

A$$holes in cars

Started by Skull
Views: 1240 Posts: 20

2004-12-05 1:56 PM Machiavelo

Bike- Hole in Tire

Started by kimber
Views: 591 Posts: 2

2004-06-02 11:34 AM just-tri-it
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 27, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
We often forget the Other, that person or persons living behind the doors of our individual hubris, that secreted cheerleader who polishes our medals but never wins one of their own.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.