General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nike+ GPS watch Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-11 8:07 AM

Subject: Nike+ GPS watch
Has anyone got a nike gps watch or know much about them???

2014-04-11 9:34 AM
in reply to: Jimmycolorado

User image

Utah
Subject: RE: Nike+ GPS watch
I don't personally but would love to see what others have to say as I have been looking at it
2014-04-11 9:59 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by Jimmycolorado

Has anyone got a nike gps watch or know much about them???

Yes. Do not get one.

I'm on my second. The first was replaced as it got water in it when I was swimming, the second is only 5 weeks old but I've noticed the screws on the back are all rusting. Not sure if that's going to create an issue, but still.... other problems I've had with both watches is getting a GPS signal, sometimes it's within minutes, other times after 10 minutes, still nothing. My bike computer ( edge 200) is 1 - 2 minutes, max and Ive never had any issues with. The Nike watch uses TomTom GPS technology so I thought it would have been pretty good in the GPS dept, but it's been disappointing.

It's got a touch screen, which I can't seem to disable, really annoying as you invariably catch it when doing a tri and turn it into lap mode or it's paused or whatever. It's pretty much useless in a tri. The screen gets scratched very easily, I put sticky tape on mine which protected it. The watches do look pretty cool and seem fairly robust, but I would never buy one of these watches again knowing what I know now.

Edited by zedzded 2014-04-11 10:06 AM
2014-04-11 10:37 AM
in reply to: zedzded

It's a running watch. Use it for running, and it's a great, inexpensive (but dated) option. There are much better devices available, but they are priced accordingly. I loved mine, only ditched it to get something to track swimming and cycling. If I went back to running only, and didn't want to pony up to one of the Garmin units, I'd buy another Nike in a heartbeat.

For $120, can't go wrong.
2014-04-11 10:50 AM
in reply to: VGT

User image

Seattle

I think this watch is by far the sexiest option out there. And for it's price point, it gets reviewed rather well.

I know it has limited features and is specifically designed for running (so keep that in mind.)

I'm not a big watch person but the people I know who have this one like it quite a bit. 

2014-04-11 12:29 PM

Yep-- worked fine for running, and the Nike+ website is pretty intuitive and nice for tracking, etc. But no swim and no bike means no interest for me. At last check, the website didn't have a tag for marking workouts as "bike" v "run," so it would give all sorts of bizarre numbers for my average run pace, etc., by incorporating my bike speed into it. Annoying from a tracking/PR/monitoring stance.

2014-04-11 1:07 PM
in reply to: 0

I've been using the watch since Jan 1 2013 and like it. First of all, it is a run only watch so complaining about lack of swim and bike features is pointless. It's like buying a fixed roof car and then complaining the roof won't go down like a convertible.

Pros:
- Looks decent
- Works great as a running watch
- Easy to use and customize the main screen (have to do this from your home computer though)
- Nike Plus website displays information nicely
- Fair price point
- Solid build. I have had it through a lot of heat, cold, sweat, and rain and have not had any issues

Cons:
- Can only use the Polar Nike+ HR monitor. Other HR monitors will not work with it, which is annoying as I would like to move to an optical HR wrist band
- Cannot export data
- Data displayed can be very basic (doesn't get very granular)
- May not have some of the nifty running features that other running watches have (custom workouts, ghost racer, etc)
- Linking to satellites can be inconsistent with the length of time but overall it is not bad (susceptible to clouds)
- Due for an update / refresh

Overall I am very pleased with the watch and now that almost 1,000 miles of my run data is locked in it so it will be difficult for me to switch. I still keep a manual log of my runs but it's not the same.

DC Rainmaker has a good review of the watch on his site if you are looking for more detail.

Edited by tb1000 2014-04-11 1:09 PM
2014-04-11 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4980054

Hmm ok, what's the deal with this foot pod thing? Do you need to use it or just for treadmills? I don't really care for the idea of having a foot pod. Just want to put on a watch and go.
2014-04-11 11:29 PM

Hmm ok, what's the deal with this foot pod thing? Do you need to use it or just for treadmills? I don't really care for the idea of having a foot pod. Just want to put on a watch and go.

I only use it when i can't get a GPS signal - so about 30% of the time.
2014-04-12 7:55 AM

I never used mine. If you run in areas where GPS can be spotty (City, Tunnels, etc), it owuld be helpful.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nike+ GPS watch Rss Feed