General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Sick & Tired of being Sick & Tired Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-12 2:23 AM

User image

Subject: Sick & Tired of being Sick & Tired
I'm 31 and live and work in Thailand. In college I trained with D1 collegiate basketball players and was in great shape. I could even dunk. On February 21 I weighed the most I ever have in my life at 94.3kg. My excuse is that life happened; more work, new baby, etc. but I just quit being intentional about working out and ate whatever and whenever. On the day I weighed in at 94.3kg, my American grandmother told me I looked fat on Skype. I routinely hear this locally because it's culturally okay to comment on someone's weight so it doesn't bother me but to hear my grandmother say it made me finally realize I needed to improve my health. My wife has diabetes and is struggling through her exercise and diet so my hope is that I can encourage her and improve my health at the same time. Our life is pretty crazy with work that's not on a "normal" schedule so it's tough to schedule in trainings but this year we'll be working half the time from America and we'll have some family help with our toddler so now's the time to do some training. My goal is to get back down to 81.5kg. I'm currently at 89.8kg.

I haven't been able to run for a week now because of what I think is "Pes Anserine Bursitis of the Knee." Since I couldn't run I very reluctantly decided to try swimming. I used to be a lifeguard in high school and understand technique but I don't know what it is about my body; I sink like a rock in water. Even as a kid, I could never float on my back. I love swimming for fun but hate swimming for exercise because I can't breathe as much as I want to and end up swallowing loads of water. A friend suggested I buy a snorkel to attach to my swim goggles and that has totally changed my opinion on swimming. I can focus on technique and building up endurance without swallowing half the pool. As I gain strength and refine my technique I know I'll be able to wean myself off using a snorkel but for now, it's really helping a lot. I think my swallowing water problem is simply because I don't have the endurance to maintain good technique. I had forgotten how good of a full body workout swimming is so the injury to my leg has been a blessing.

Now that I'm not afraid to swim, I'm hoping to do my first triathlon in about 8 weeks.

2014-04-12 2:56 AM
in reply to: Thai_Tri

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Sick & Tired of being Sick & Tired
Welcome to the SE Asia tri scene, and tri in general! (You'll appreciate that my user name has nothing to do with speed or looks, but with temperatures!) Good work on the swimming. Is there any way you can get some instruction to help you master proper breathing technique? I'm not sure if races allow snorkels (I think some do), plus it's probably not good to depend on something that could get knocked off in a crowded start unless you absolutely have to. It might also be useful to learn a second stroke like breaststroke that you can use if you panic or need to catch your breath. Floating/sinking is mainly a matter of technique, specifically your position in the water. It really helps to get feedback from a coach or instructor about what you need to work on in this regard. Swimming depends really heavily on technique and sometimes minor changes can make a big difference in comfort and speed for a beginner.

There's also a SE Asia forum on this site (you can get to it by clicking "Expand" under "Other Country Forums". It hasn't been very active lately but there may be useful stuff on it. There are plenty of members in the region--few in Vietnam (maybe just me??) but some in Singapore, Thailand, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, India, etc.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Sick & Tired of being Sick & Tired Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I am tired of being fat and lazy

Started by Neener86
Views: 4030 Posts: 24

2010-07-27 1:08 PM jeffnjxn

Sick of watching now its my turn

Started by sgmeyer
Views: 603 Posts: 4

2009-04-08 10:17 PM CBarnes

Tired of being fat and tired !

Started by LazyInGeorgia
Views: 1224 Posts: 18

2007-07-28 4:47 PM CBarnes

sick and tired of being sick and tired

Started by patsfan
Views: 726 Posts: 7

2006-01-12 7:54 AM Michael

Sick of being a disgusting fat body...

Started by kevinator108
Views: 977 Posts: 14

2005-11-08 10:41 AM isis54
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.
date : November 19, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
While regular and moderate exercise such as light jogging has been shown to boost immune system function, more vigorous exercise can suppress the immune system.

date : September 6, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
It depends on your preference and what's important to you. I'll list some of the beliefs that are out there and comment on a few.
date : September 3, 2006
author : Ontherun
A general observation of how fatigue can be caused by so many different sources. Finding the true reason can be as simple as watching the sun rise.

date : February 13, 2005
author : AMSSM
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.