General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM70.3 NO athlete killed in pre-race ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-12 9:32 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: IM70.3 NO athlete killed in pre-race ride

Yesterday a group of cyclists in New Orleans for the IM70.3 were struck from behind by a car while riding the course. One died on the scene and another was critically injured.

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2014/04/car_crash_in_eastern_new_orlea.html#incart_river_default 

The deceased leaves a widow and 7-yo triplet girls behind. If you'd like to leave a donation a gofundme site has been set up:

http://www.gofundme.com/89mhhs 

Condolences to the family and best wishes to all participating in the race, Be careful out there, even though some variables cannot be controlled.

2014-04-12 9:54 AM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: IM70.3 NO athlete killed in pre-race ride

Originally posted by the bear

Yesterday a group of cyclists in New Orleans for the IM70.3 were struck from behind by a car while riding the course. One died on the scene and another was critically injured.

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2014/04/car_crash_in_eastern_new_orlea.html#incart_river_default 

The deceased leaves a widow and 7-yo triplet girls behind. If you'd like to leave a donation a gofundme site has been set up:

Condolences to the family and best wishes to all participating in the race, Be careful out there, even though some variables cannot be controlled.

I sent the donation.  So sorry to hear this.

2014-04-12 1:10 PM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Queen BTich
An Atlanta firefighter...sad. The parts of Chef Menteur I've driven, there are decent shoulders. Bear? I've only gone out there for Pho, not to ride.
2014-04-12 2:53 PM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
This hits home for me twice because I'm from New Orleans & the athlete killed was an Atlanta Firefighter which is where I now reside. Sgt Frank Guinn, a nine-year veteran of the department, is survived by a wife and triplet daughters.

It's a tragedy for both cities, the sport, and Ironman. I hope the driver is charged to the fullest extent in a very public way & I hope something good can come out of this with more awareness about bike safety & driver awareness.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/atlanta-firefighter-kill...

2014-04-12 2:57 PM

User image

Pro

"7-yo triplet girls"

brings a tear to my eye.  how sad.  horrible.  

Sounds like the kind of accident that could happen to any of us at any time.  

ugh

2014-04-12 3:13 PM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by tech_geezer

I sent the donation.  So sorry to hear this.

Ditto.

Any thing that can help get this family through this tragedy.

What a disaster.

2014-04-12 3:59 PM
in reply to: #4980574

User image

Ledyard, CT
Donation sent. Absolutely heartbreaking.
2014-04-12 4:02 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

Image by Phatknot 

2014-04-12 4:03 PM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Originally posted by MeatheadThis hits home for me twice because I'm from New Orleans & the athlete killed was an Atlanta Firefighter which is where I now reside. Sgt Frank Guinn, a nine-year veteran of the department, is survived by a wife and triplet daughters.It's a tragedy for both cities, the sport, and Ironman. I hope the driver is charged to the fullest extent in a very public way & I hope something good can come out of this with more awareness about bike safety & driver awareness.http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/atlanta-firefighter-killed-new-orleans-bike-wreck/nfYPr/
I feel a particular sensitivity to this. I was driving the bike course ahead of the race and came upon the accident about 15 - 20 minutes after it happened. I saw the aftermath of everything, including the rider on the ground, uncovered and without question deceased. It has shaken me like you wouldn't believe. I see his photo now and think yes, that's the guy I saw. It is a fairly wide road. As I recall it didn't happen on a curve. Weather was fine, light breeze. Word is the driver was a guy in his 30s with a 12 year old in the car. No one but the people there know what happened. I saw frank in he middle of the two eastbound lanes I.e way away from the shoulder. No idea whether the driver or the cyclist was at fault, and there is a slowtwitch post referencing a potential witness saying frank waved at his friend and may have lost control

just a long winded way o saying let's let the facts come out before convicting anyone.

2014-04-12 5:46 PM
in reply to: #4980654

New user
The Woodlands, TX
So sad. My prayers are with the family, as the other hit was his brother-in-law.

I, too, am from the New Orleans area. It is a very dangerous place for cyclists. Drivers are terrible, and many have no insurance.
2014-04-12 9:11 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by ChrisM
just a long winded way o saying let's let the facts come out before convicting anyone.

Very fair point. I think we always want to assume the rider is right & the driver is wrong, but sometimes those assumptions are incorrect.

You know that the lives of everyone involved, including the driver, have been changed forever.

2014-04-14 10:40 AM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Originally posted by Meathead
Originally posted by ChrisMjust a long winded way o saying let's let the facts come out before convicting anyone.
Very fair point. I think we always want to assume the rider is right & the driver is wrong, but sometimes those assumptions are incorrect.You know that the lives of everyone involved, including the driver, have been changed forever.
Now they've charged the guy with negligent homicide among other things and I'm now with you. Throw the book at him
2014-04-14 10:53 AM

User image

http://www.wwltv.com/news/NOPD-Driver-charged-after-hitting-killing-triathlete-on-Chef-Highway-255173131.html

2014-04-14 11:13 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Thank you for posting the link for donations. I love that the endurance community is stepping up to help.

Stay safe out there friends. My son and I found these crazy stupid bright bike lights at REI this weekend. NM has bad drivers too so we do all we can to be visible.

2014-04-14 11:47 AM

User image

Queen BTich
Originally posted by ChrisM
Originally posted by Meathead
Originally posted by ChrisMjust a long winded way o saying let's let the facts come out before convicting anyone.
Very fair point. I think we always want to assume the rider is right & the driver is wrong, but sometimes those assumptions are incorrect.You know that the lives of everyone involved, including the driver, have been changed forever.
Now they've charged the guy with negligent homicide among other things and I'm now with you. Throw the book at him
I'm really glad they've found some evidence (whatever it is) and are charging him. It's high profile, this is good. However, it's a little sad, if it was any other cloak out on a ride, I'm not as confident they'd have this same swift response.
2014-10-23 6:31 AM
in reply to: Comet

User image

this popped up in my facebook feed this morning, so thought I would post an update - the driver was sentences to 5.5 years in prison

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2014/10/driver_guilty_of_killin...

this part from the lawyer just ugh - "We believe the victims were just as much at fault as my client was," Hand said. "They were driving in the middle of the street in a 55 mph zone. I know the law says they can, but my client's original perception was that they were riding on the shoulder, like they probably should have been. It took him by surprise when they weren't."

2014-10-23 11:55 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Thanks for posting update.

Looks like he will only serve three years.

Awesome that the wife wants to train for the race this year. One strong woman.
2014-10-23 12:33 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Originally posted by GODAWGS

Thanks for posting update.

Looks like he will only serve three years.

Awesome that the wife wants to train for the race this year. One strong woman.

i think he was considered for a 3/2 (suspensed sentence) - but didn't get it - i'm sure he won't do the full 5.5 years though
2014-10-23 12:37 PM

naperville, Illinois
thanks for the update. Crazy that he didn't express any remorse - even if you don't have any remorse, what kind of idiot doesn't at least feign remorse when facing sentencing? His lawyer didn't do a very good job of advising him. Also, is there anyone who believes he pled guilty to spare the family the pain as opposed to pleading guilty so he would get the sentence reduction you get for not putting the state through the expense of a trial, and because we was getting his butt whooped and wanted to get over to prison asap where it's safer for weenies like him.
2014-10-23 12:41 PM
in reply to: Raansnel

User image

Originally posted by Raansnel

thanks for the update. Crazy that he didn't express any remorse - even if you don't have any remorse, what kind of idiot doesn't at least feign remorse when facing sentencing? His lawyer didn't do a very good job of advising him. Also, is there anyone who believes he pled guilty to spare the family the pain as opposed to pleading guilty so he would get the sentence reduction you get for not putting the state through the expense of a trial, and because we was getting his butt whooped and wanted to get over to prison asap where it's safer for weenies like him.

IIRC he was driving on a suspended license when it happened as well...so it isn't his first rodeo with driving and breaking laws...
2014-10-23 3:14 PM
in reply to: austhokie

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by austhokie

this popped up in my facebook feed this morning, so thought I would post an update - the driver was sentences to 5.5 years in prison

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2014/10/driver_guilty_of_killin...

this part from the lawyer just ugh - "We believe the victims were just as much at fault as my client was," Hand said. "They were driving in the middle of the street in a 55 mph zone. I know the law says they can, but my client's original perception was that they were riding on the shoulder, like they probably should have been. It took him by surprise when they weren't."

Lawyers like this guy are what give all lawyers a bad name. This statement makes so little sense, it blows my mind this man actually graduated law school. He acknowledges that the law affords cyclists the right to ride in the road, but they were at fault for not being on the shoulder like they should've been. So the law says one thing, but the cyclist should've disregarded the law and rode on the shoulder. How can a man whose profession is knowing the law, make a statement like this? And his perception was they were on the shoulder? Based on what? "hmm...I see a cyclist in front of me, they look to be in the middle of the road, but he's on a bike, so he must actually be on the shoulder. " I'm glad he is serving significant jail time. As opposed to that other case I heard of recently where the driver was fined $1500.

2014-10-24 10:18 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

You've hired one hell of a attorney if he's going to let you plead guilty and you still end up with the maximum sentence any way.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM70.3 NO athlete killed in pre-race ride Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pre-race warm-up and racing in the rain

Started by monkeytri
Views: 898 Posts: 2

2010-06-12 10:09 AM browncd

Pre-race ride(serious WTF ride.)

Started by MaesMama
Views: 1098 Posts: 8

2008-10-13 6:47 AM KathyG

Race details and performance to pre-race goals -

Started by kagoscuba
Views: 885 Posts: 3

2008-09-29 6:24 PM 2xtreme

Pre-Race and Race Hydration for Sprint Races

Started by ut_tri_465
Views: 1666 Posts: 4

2007-06-18 5:16 PM RBRMIKE

pre-race warm up oly - 7 mile ride?

Started by autumn
Views: 696 Posts: 8

2005-08-24 8:43 AM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Pre-diabetes is a very common and treatable condition. Through your physical activity and appropriate diet choices, you have already taken many steps to delay or avoid progression to type 2 diabetes.

date : October 7, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
Learn the important aspects of a successful pre-race nutrition plan including carbo-loading and eating the morning of the race.
date : September 22, 2008
author : Courage
Four Master's Class athletes ride and race like eight year olds in the backyard.

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : December 17, 2007
author : 2x4nomore
My first Sprint triathlon, after a very nervous pre-race morning.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
What most athletes forget to realize is that all the training in the world will go down the toilet if the pacing or the nutrition plan isn�t executed properly.