General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-13 7:08 AM

User image

Subject: Cycling help
Any groups or anybody want to meet on the weekends?
It seems groups meet on Saturdays.. I'd really like to cycle on Sunday and do long runs on saturdays.

I'm in Aurora.

Also any advice on where to cycle around Aurora (I'm right near the Cherry Creek reservoir) Should i just stay on the Cherry Creek trail and ride all the way to REI and out that way?

I'm signed up for the Harvest half ironman... Might be a little ambitious, i've only cycled 30 miles a few times so far, and i have cycling shoes but am paranoid to use them, so need to work on that. I can actually get my water bottle out without stopping so i'm improving!

I'm not super fast, but if someone wanted to ride, i would really like to have someone to ride with, who could meet up on a weekly basis.

My schedule is working mon/wed 9am-10pm and fri 9-5pm, so i'm free pretty much the rest of the time.

I'm in Aurora, but on my days off i'm willing to drive to meet elsewhere.

Also open to running with others as well. I plan on joining runners edge again for sat long runs.

2014-04-17 2:37 PM
in reply to: marathongirl21

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: Cycling help

Hi, I'd recommend picking up the "Bicycling the Greater Denver Area" Map found at most bike stores.  It will give you a good idea of the rideable roads and trails near you. 

• You can ride east to the Aurora Rez and do a lot of long rides from there, including obviously the Harvest Moon course.  It's also a great place to do your open water swimming (I would highly advise against swimming at Cherry Creek).
  • Head south down to the 470 bike trail.  From there you can go east and pick up the Cherry Creek Trail south.  You can also head south out of Parker on Parker Rd or work your way to Hess Road/Castle Pines etc. 
  • You can head west on the C470 bike trail and ride forever.  Stay on it and it will take you nearly to Golden.  There are also great hop offs at Chatfield State Park; Wadsworth down to Roxborough or Wadsworth then west up Deer Creek for great climbing; west at Ken Caryl, etc.
  • You can take C470 west to the Platte and head back up to Cherry Creek.  This is known as the Denver Triangle (search it on routes on this website).  It's about 50ish miles I believe.

Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling help Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cycling route suggestions from DT Denver

Started by Matchman
Views: 662 Posts: 5

2007-07-05 12:53 AM jcjsc00

Chatfield Total Mileage for Road Cycling???

Started by butterfly082464
Views: 609 Posts: 3

2007-06-07 9:02 AM butterfly082464

HR Garage Sale - tri and cycling gear

Started by Colomingle
Views: 544 Posts: 1

2007-05-24 11:08 PM Colomingle

Local cycling routes: who's used them?

Started by rjba2000
Views: 706 Posts: 4

2007-03-22 10:10 AM moneyman

Cycling Seminar at REI 5/10

Started by Colomingle
Views: 612 Posts: 3

2006-05-10 11:40 AM Pinata
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?
date : May 18, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 3
How to get faster and still keep your job and family

date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.