General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Miami Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-13 7:23 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Subject: Swim Miami
Anyone doing swim Miami next Saturday? I am in for the 5k and looking forward to it!

For anyone who has done this race before, does it get really congested in the water? And how early have you arrived to the site before?

Happy and safe training :-)

Alicia

2014-04-14 2:56 PM
in reply to: trirun26

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Swim Miami
Hey! I will be there doing the 10k again this year... I have not been on this site in over a year so glad I checked in. To answer your question it did not get congested at all last year outside of first 50 yards. it spreads out pretty quick, even on the loop we swim (3 loops in your case). I have the same question regarding what time to get there. My race doesn't start till 9am so getting there at 6pm would be overkill. let me knwo if you find anything out as well. I just signed up today as I really want ready, but Im doing the Swim around key west again this year and need the long training swim.

Good luck!
2014-04-14 3:05 PM
in reply to: cardenas1

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Originally posted by cardenas1

Hey! I will be there doing the 10k again this year... I have not been on this site in over a year so glad I checked in. To answer your question it did not get congested at all last year outside of first 50 yards. it spreads out pretty quick, even on the loop we swim (3 loops in your case). I have the same question regarding what time to get there. My race doesn't start till 9am so getting there at 6pm would be overkill. let me knwo if you find anything out as well. I just signed up today as I really want ready, but Im doing the Swim around key west again this year and need the long training swim.

Good luck!

You crazy guy! I remember when u did the 10k and swim around key west last year :-) So tempting to do the key west swim but the logistics were a little overwhelming for me....how do u find someone to be out there on a kayak for hours and hours!

Good luck and will let u know if I find any info. My race starts at 10am.

Alicia
2014-04-14 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I'm in for the 800 as I am out-of-shape and terrified. Looking to shake off that silly fear.

ENJOY!!!

A friend of mine says... of the longer distances... you will be against the current for part of it, but it usually isn't bad at all. Just keep swimming!
2014-04-14 3:19 PM
in reply to: stephsprint

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Just received an email from swim miami:

Packet pick up Friday 5-9pm and sat 6-745 am only. If u picked up the package Friday then u can arrive 45min before the race.

Happy swimming!

Alicia
2014-04-14 3:27 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Good question re: the kayaker... I was actually going to post on here to see if anyone is for hire in the Keys area.... Last year I hired someone fromt he race itself and it was great. This year I procrastinated and they sold out of Kayakers so I have to start asking. it is actually an easy paddle, just have to keep a straight line and know how to throw a water bottle, lol.

I think I start at 9am for the 10k, we will see. I am driving down with a young(er) guy who swim at the YMCA with me in Boynton who is also doing the 10k.

BTW, we swim every weekend around peanut island which is a great training course if you ever want to try it. We start from Phil Foster Park and swim over then around. Amazing clear water with enough current to make it interesting. Usually 2-4 of us meet out there either Saturday or Sunday morning. I haven't done a Tri in about 16 months so hanging on to my swim fitness!

2014-04-15 6:49 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach

Good question re: the kayaker... I was actually going to post on here to see if anyone is for hire in the Keys area.... Last year I hired someone fromt he race itself and it was great. This year I procrastinated and they sold out of Kayakers so I have to start asking. it is actually an easy paddle, just have to keep a straight line and know how to throw a water bottle, lol.

I think I start at 9am for the 10k, we will see. I am driving down with a young(er) guy who swim at the YMCA with me in Boynton who is also doing the 10k.

BTW, we swim every weekend around peanut island which is a great training course if you ever want to try it. We start from Phil Foster Park and swim over then around. Amazing clear water with enough current to make it interesting. Usually 2-4 of us meet out there either Saturday or Sunday morning. I haven't done a Tri in about 16 months so hanging on to my swim fitness!

Oh! I may have to cling to one if your peanut island swims! That sounds awesome....how long is it? How long does it take u guys? Is there a lot of boat traffic? Believe it or not I have never been to peanut island!

I crazily signed up for Fl IM....my biking and swimming are going great but my running...hmmmmmm

K! Here is to a great swim on Saturday!

Alicia
2014-04-15 6:52 AM
in reply to: stephsprint

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Originally posted by stephsprint

I'm in for the 800 as I am out-of-shape and terrified. Looking to shake off that silly fear.

ENJOY!!!

A friend of mine says... of the longer distances... you will be against the current for part of it, but it usually isn't bad at all. Just keep swimming!

Have fun! Relax and enjoy the fact that you are able to be out there and swimming :-)

You will be fine :-)

Let us know how u did! Remember...breath, relax and race against yourself.....forget everyone else!

Alicia
2014-04-16 3:15 PM

User image

New user
Hollywood, FL
I'll be there too, this will be my first swim event, I am really excited! I am not a good swimmer at all, but have been making very slow progress, I'll be doing the mile swim. I am hoping to finish close to 35 minutes, which would be a decent improvement over doing IM Miami 70.3 1.2 miles in 51 minutes, that was 6 months ago.

The one thing I'm not too happy about is my start time at 10:19 AM, which kind of kills the whole morning
2014-04-16 5:02 PM
in reply to: ccjr

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Your right regarding start times.... But I believe they do it because of the tides and currents so hopefully we will appreciate it while we are racing. I have to leave my house around 6am and start at 9am. I wont be home till at least 3pm which is hard on Easter weekend, but one of the few decent swim only events in South Florida.

Good luck in the mile!
2014-04-20 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
How did everyone do? I had a blast doing it and thank God the weather changed for the better!

A great race, will do it again next year for sure!

Happy Easter ,

Alicia

2014-04-21 5:57 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Agree on the weather cooperating! It was a bad drive down in the morning and luckily it turned into a great day (Although I completely forgot sunscreen - ouch). I did the 10k in 3:10:00 which was 50 minutes faster than last year. Saying that, the current was against us last year so hard to tell if I improved or not. i do know i am not as sore today as I was last year so maybe thats a good sign, lol. It is also humbling seeing so many good swimmers out there. I am just impressed with the # of such good swimmers. maybe I am just slow, but I feel better assuming everyone else is just really good!

How did everyone else do?
2014-04-21 7:14 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach

Agree on the weather cooperating! It was a bad drive down in the morning and luckily it turned into a great day (Although I completely forgot sunscreen - ouch). I did the 10k in 3:10:00 which was 50 minutes faster than last year. Saying that, the current was against us last year so hard to tell if I improved or not. i do know i am not as sore today as I was last year so maybe thats a good sign, lol. It is also humbling seeing so many good swimmers out there. I am just impressed with the # of such good swimmers. maybe I am just slow, but I feel better assuming everyone else is just really good!

How did everyone else do?

Wow! :-)

That is an awesome time! Did I say awesome? Congrats!

And yes! There were some incredible swimmers out there. I did the 5k in 2:02 which is just fine for me! I am slow but mighty...lol...

I am humbled by the big difference between a 2.2 mile swim and a 3 mile swim.....and I can't even imagine doing a 10k....well maybe...lol

Back to the pool in the am tomorrow! :-)

Happy training!

Alicia
2014-04-22 8:06 PM

User image

It is humbling to be with all those strong swimmers. I too did the 5k and I thought it was a pretty great day.

It was my longest swim ever. So I was happy with that. Couldn't believe the luck with the weather. That was amazing.

I do need to work on keeping my mouth closed in salt water. It was Monday morning before my taste buds were anything like normal.

Good work everyone!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Miami Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim MIami

Started by cardenas1
Views: 1214 Posts: 11

2013-04-11 6:03 AM topolina

IM 70.3 Miami or Miami Man

Started by The Cube
Views: 2885 Posts: 9

2013-01-15 6:44 PM yourecrazy

Miami Man 2010 or Ironman 70.3 Miami 2010

Started by eliwashere
Views: 2148 Posts: 4

2009-11-27 12:37 PM cardenas1

Training in Miami Beach/Eastern Miami...

Started by Concretechris
Views: 1469 Posts: 4

2009-02-23 1:22 PM velorider62

Where to swim near Miami Springs???

Started by bignslow
Views: 724 Posts: 1

2008-07-01 4:20 PM bignslow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...