General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Raleigh, North Carolina
United States
Competitor Group, Inc.
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 7s
Overall Rank = 222/8593
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 35/410
Pre-race routine:

There wasn't much of one. I hung out with friends and family in the hotel lobby to stay warm and use the bathroom. Then we all made our way to the Start line. Things were pretty packed; it was nice starting in Corral 1.
Event warmup:

I didn't warm up for this race. I figured the first mile would serve as a good warm-up, which turned out to be true, I think.
Run
  • 1h 41m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

The beginning of the race started out nicely; it was actually mostly downhill for a good ways. Then, after a couple miles, the hills started. None of them seemed incredibly steep or long, but they just kept coming. I was moving along at a nice clip, didn't seem like I was working too hard.
At about mile 8, it seems like the hills got serious. Some were long, and all of them felt steep. It definitely took all I had to get up some of them without losing too much time, so I just tried to keep my head down and my feet moving.
It felt great to make the turn for the finish line, especially seeing my parents cheering me on.
Coming up to the last quarter mile of the race, a guy ran up and just passed me. Well, that was when it was on. I sped up to catch up with him, and then so did he. We definitely knew the other person was there: we both kicked hard for the last quarter mile, and I managed to beat him, which felt really good.
What would you do differently?:

Looking at my pace, it looks like I started out too fast, but I couldn't have anticipated how tough some of those hills were, so I'm actually glad that I held a good pace at the beginning, to make up for the hills later. I'm happy with my time.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate and drank a lot! I knew I'd burned a lot of calories and needed to hydrate, so I drank Gatorade and ate pizza. I felt good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not much

Event comments:

People are going to freak out about the hills, but they're just hills. If they're too tough, just slow down and walk them. Just like the sign I saw read, "If it were easy, it would be called your mom."

Last updated: 2014-03-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:41:07 | 13.1 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 35/410
Overall: 222/8593
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling hills, some were pretty steep
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-04-14 7:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon

2014-04-14 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4981147

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon
Nicely done.

You have made huge fitness gains and if you keep on this upward trajectory, I am going to be trying to keep up with you before very long.

I am very impressed.
2014-04-14 9:33 AM
in reply to: #4981147

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Great race Jamie. You are definitely off to a solid start to the season.

The hills sound like fun to me, but I'm a weirdo like that. I love to punish people in the hills, or at least I used to...now the hills punish me.
2014-04-14 2:08 PM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Master
South Alabama

Great job Jamie!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rock 'n' Roll Marathon (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by drw94
Views: 947 Posts: 1

2012-09-10 12:29 PM drw94

Started by wwhisler
Views: 1453 Posts: 2

2010-06-10 11:10 AM bnmracn

Started by lmscozz
Views: 1982 Posts: 6

2010-06-10 6:15 PM reid15

Raleigh Rocks Half Marathon

Started by hrliles
Views: 1378 Posts: 1

2009-03-29 4:42 PM hrliles

Raleigh Rocks Half Marathon

Started by Ambular
Views: 1335 Posts: 4

2009-03-31 8:36 PM Jake1008
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.