of 2

2014-04-14 3:20 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
Subject: RE: Your WATCH
I have a Fenix 2, and after a 3hr 35km run it's still at 83% on every-second recording. It will NOT do an 18 hour IM but I think I'll be ok for anything sub-12.

Right now I'm just running (have tried it in the pool, pretty impressive) - but my bike has a layer of dust on it and will continue to do so until after the ultra in June.

910XT would have been my choice except is has none of the new run metrics that the 620/fenix2 has. The proper 910 replacement probably won't be for 18 months so the fenix 2 will do. Plus it's a really good every-day watch unlike the other ones.

2014-04-14 3:35 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
[quote[Battery life on the Fenix 2 is a complete deal breaker for me. DC Rainmaker quotes it as about 8 hours when running in the highest data recording mode. 50 hours is for ultratrac where GPS is not constantly active.

Check out the "BATTERY LIFE:" in the in-depth review linked here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/03/garmin-fenix2-multisport.html

He got 15 hours twice with every second recording befoer it autoshut downs at 13%. Garmin claims 16 hours. That is near enough to the 910's claimed 17 hours. I know the Fenix (1) had less 1-second recording, but it appears to be resolved.
2014-04-14 4:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
N Carolina
I love my 910xt. I've had it over 2 years and i've done a 16:32:xx Ironman with it and the battery still had plenty of life left.

Don't call it a watch. It is a GPS device designed for multisport activities. If they took the time feature off (it is almost hidden down in the corner of a secondary screen) do you think they would have sold a significant amout fewer units? I do not........

Edited by japarker24 2014-04-14 4:16 PM
2014-04-14 4:18 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Originally posted by dfroelich [quote[Battery life on the Fenix 2 is a complete deal breaker for me. DC Rainmaker quotes it as about 8 hours when running in the highest data recording mode. 50 hours is for ultratrac where GPS is not constantly active.
Check out the "BATTERY LIFE:" in the in-depth review linked here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/03/garmin-fenix2-multisport.htmlHe got 15 hours twice with every second recording befoer it autoshut downs at 13%. Garmin claims 16 hours. That is near enough to the 910's claimed 17 hours. I know the Fenix (1) had less 1-second recording, but it appears to be resolved.

I didn't see his updated review.  Just the first look.  Seems as though he revised his first look review too as it was also noted in ST that he quoted the battery life closer to 8 hours.  But maybe I'm wrong.

That would change things a bit.  I still wouldn't want the Fenix 2 on the bike, but since I'm already a loyal Edge user, the Fenix 2 would probably be a nice compliment compared to the 910.  

2014-04-14 4:41 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by dfroelich [quote[Battery life on the Fenix 2 is a complete deal breaker for me. DC Rainmaker quotes it as about 8 hours when running in the highest data recording mode. 50 hours is for ultratrac where GPS is not constantly active.
Check out the "BATTERY LIFE:" in the in-depth review linked here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/03/garmin-fenix2-multisport.htmlHe got 15 hours twice with every second recording befoer it autoshut downs at 13%. Garmin claims 16 hours. That is near enough to the 910's claimed 17 hours. I know the Fenix (1) had less 1-second recording, but it appears to be resolved.

I didn't see his updated review.  Just the first look.  Seems as though he revised his first look review too as it was also noted in ST that he quoted the battery life closer to 8 hours.  But maybe I'm wrong.

That would change things a bit.  I still wouldn't want the Fenix 2 on the bike, but since I'm already a loyal Edge user, the Fenix 2 would probably be a nice compliment compared to the 910.  

Yeah, ideal world for me would be the Fenix 2 and then a 500 or 800 dedicated to the bike. I will probably start with the Fenix then get a 500 when I decide to drop another chunk of change.

2014-04-14 5:06 PM
in reply to: #4981178

Thanks peeps, from what I've read everywhere the garmin 310 and 910 are very popular. Just didn't want something the size of my iPad hanging off my wrist, but I think I might just have to get used to that.

2014-04-15 4:23 AM
in reply to: Jimmycolorado

User image

And it comes down to what you want to use it for. If it is for swim, bike, run training, then I think 910xt is about the only good choice. I studied all options about half a year ago and got one for my wife and one for me.
Combine it with the heartrate strap, speed/cadence sensor for the bike and you have quite a complete package.
I think it is also the only watch that allows you to switch from swim to t1 to bike etc with just one press of a button, while other watches you have to manually switch between each activity.

If you don't need the swim tracking, then pretty much any other watch will do but beware of the batter life if you are planning on long distance or multi use without charging.

Agree with the guy that said that this is not really a watch for casual wear, just use it during your trainings.
And I hope they don't try to come up with a fancy color screen, it will surely have a negative effect on the battery use.
2014-04-15 8:05 AM
in reply to: Jimmycolorado

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Timex Global Trainer. Not bad size, but I am 6' 3". It takes a few seconds to find satellites, but it is ready most mornings before I am done stretching and ready to run. Nice little mount for the handlebars as well. All in all, I've been happy with it.

2014-04-15 9:01 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Miami
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Originally posted by Jason N

Yeah, ideal world for me would be the Fenix 2 and then a 500 or 800 dedicated to the bike. I will probably start with the Fenix then get a 500 when I decide to drop another chunk of change.

I was really hesitant between the 910 and the Fenix 2 too. But Garmin finally replaced my 910 with a new one, so I settled for the 910.

Also, right now you can find a new Edge 500 for $150... I got it and it is a nice combo to have both the watch and the bike computer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Your WATCH Rss Feed  

of 2