General Discussion Triathlon Talk » myfitnesspal accurate for calories burned? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-14 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: myfitnesspal accurate for calories burned?
I've been great about recording my food on myfitnesspal and it has really helped. I put in the days food so I can make sure it is the right amount of macro before I eat it!
Now that I am training I've been using it to record my workouts and it seems to give high amounts of cals burned. Today it gave me 427 cals for 25 mins of jogging and 20 on stationary bike. checked on fitday and it gave me 327 cals. I'm guessing that the lower number is more accurate, of course lots of factors play into it.

On the other hand don't want to cheat myself out of brownie points if I did burn more - of course it might tempt me to eat more...

Any ideas on which is more accurate?

Mitzi

2014-04-14 1:15 PM
in reply to: #4981343

User image

Subject: RE: myfitnesspal accurate for calories burned?
I ran a test for me to kind of calibrate myfitnesspal. I went 2 weeks without exercise and logged all my food. I came close to 2 lb weight loss at the prescribed deficit. When I added exercise at the calorie counts they gave I didn't come close. I've been tweaking down the calories given a little at a time until I see the results I want. Right now I remove 100 cal every 40 minutes of cardio. After all what do I care what the calorie number ends up I want the weight number down!
2014-04-14 3:57 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

I found that it does overestimate, at least I think it does.  What I usually do is put in less time, or at a slower pace in my tracker.  I usually try to go for a larger deficit as well.  I am more concerned about tracking what I eat than calories burned though. 

2014-04-14 7:30 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Definitely over estimates.   A heart rate monitor will give somewhat more accurate, but even then I think is a bit high.   I take about 75% of the mfp calories, sometimes even less.

2014-05-15 6:56 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Regular
I posted this in a separate thread here that I started before I saw this one, but I'll put it here, too:

For the curious, I've done a few recent training runs wearing my Heart Rate Monitor, and my phone logging Runkeeper, and posting to MyFitnessPal afterwards. The routes were different, but very similar (pancake flat). I'm a 6'0" male that currently weighs 195 pounds.

Here are the numbers for calories burned:

Run #1 - 5.11 mile run, 50:51 time (9:57 min/mile pace), avg. HR was 151 BPM.
HRM = 804 kcal
Runkeeper = 783 kcal
MyFitnessPal = 770

Very consistent numbers.

Run #2 - 5.04 mile run, 49:45 time (9:53 min/mile pace), avg. HR was 145 BPM.
HRM = 695
Runkeeper = 772
MyFitnessPal = 740

A little more variance, but still pretty close.

Just thought I would share for the inquisitive minds here on BT. :-)
2014-05-16 11:15 AM
in reply to: DannyII

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
I find that even HRMs can overestimate calories as well. For example, here are numbers from my 2 hr trainer ride this morning. Keep in mind that I only averaged a HR of 125, so this wasn't done at high intensity at all:

MFP (logged it as Bicycling, 12-14 mph, moderate): 969 calories
Garmin 910xt: 1075 calories

While those two numbers are close, I know that they're both way higher than they should be. Oddly, I also have another Garmin device just for cycling, and that one will give me lower, and likely more accurate, values for calories burned. From that, I figure I actually average 300-400 calories per hour, depending on intensity. Since this workout was low, I estimated 600 calories.

Since I've gotten used to estimating my calorie burn (I also estimate approximately 500 calories/hour for running and 300-400 for swimming), I just don't pay attention to the readouts from elsewhere. Just thought I'd mention it to point out that even using a HRM may not be accurate, depending on the device it's linked to.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » myfitnesspal accurate for calories burned? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

FitDay Calorie Expenditures - How accurate?

Started by jsnowash
Views: 4023 Posts: 7

2009-08-06 7:43 AM emurf49

How accurate are these calorie counters?

Started by Spleen
Views: 1626 Posts: 7

2009-05-08 9:56 AM Spleen

Calories burned question

Started by DRLski
Views: 1022 Posts: 11

2005-11-24 3:22 PM CindyK

Calories burned - HRM accuracy?

Started by misanthropic777
Views: 1140 Posts: 6

2005-10-12 7:18 PM misanthropic777

Calorie Intake vs. Calorie Burned

Started by tolefanjh
Views: 1452 Posts: 13

2005-08-25 11:07 AM misanthropic777
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 20, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
From interval training to chocolate milk, here is the latest from cutting edge research labs

date : August 5, 2010
author : AMSSM
I have burning hips. They start to hurt about 20 miles into a bike ride and then they hurt as I try to sleep all night long. Stretching and massage don't seem to make much difference.
date : December 20, 2009
author : mrakes1
Discussions on Weight Watchers, eating out, peanut butter, agave nectar, not wanting to count calories and replacing calories burned by working out.

date : February 4, 2009
author : mrakes1
Marni will show you how to make your own delicious and nutritious wrap that is light on calories but high in protein and nutrients.
date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.

date : July 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
They are comfortable, but on longer runs the ball of my foot starts to heat up. I actually had to STOP, take off the shoe, massage my foot. This would help for a while, but the pain usually returned.
date : October 9, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 2
This article gives instruction on using all the nutrition log features to count your daily calories from foods eaten.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Most of us in the triathlon world are concerned with more than just fat burning. There are certain situations when it’s appropriate to use fins during a workout.