General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Time or Experience? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-14 12:32 PM

Subject: Time or Experience?
OK whats more important finishing time or the experience?
This weekend I competed in super sprint tri. Personally felt like I did bad in everything but transitions, but hten when I got my finishing time I was 7 minutes faster than previous year and under my self set goal. Shouls I put stock in the time or what I felt was a bad showing on my part?
PS Im a total newbie as this is only 3rd race ever.

2014-04-14 1:46 PM
in reply to: geraghty34

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Time or Experience?

Originally posted by geraghty34 OK whats more important finishing time or the experience? This weekend I competed in super sprint tri. Personally felt like I did bad in everything but transitions, but hten when I got my finishing time I was 7 minutes faster than previous year and under my self set goal. Shouls I put stock in the time or what I felt was a bad showing on my part? PS Im a total newbie as this is only 3rd race ever.

This is one of those questions where you ask 10 people and you get 10 different answers. For me, the shorter distance races are all about time, however; moving up in distance each season changed that. The first race of any new distance for me (talking about HIM and IM) the first race was all about experience, then I worry about time. In other words, I had done several sprints and Olympic races and always had a time goal, but once I moved to a HIM, that first race was all about finishing, same with IM.

Now that I have those under my belt, my focus will be more about time, because I have had the experience. I hope I explained that well enough as to be understood.

2014-04-14 2:06 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Both, or neither, depending on the event.

Okay, how's that for non-commitment?

Seriously though, I only do a couple tri's a year these days (if that -- this year will probably be only one), and they're pretty much all sprints. That one this year will be with my wife, at her side the whole way (go ahead, DQ me for pacing). Not a time thing at all. But if I'm racing by myself, it's for time/place.

2014-04-14 2:21 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
How I execute is the most important thing for me. Time will be variable based on conditions. If I ever finish on the podium, then I won't really care about time or execution, as that will be all that matters. But, for basically me, a guy that would like to move up into the top 25% of the race, execution is what I can control. Did I prep for the race, did I pace myself well, did I ride and run smart, did I eat and drink right, and did I leave everything I had on the course? If I did that well, then I'm happy with my race. Its never perfect, but some races I do pretty good by that metric, so that leaves me happy.
2014-04-14 2:41 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by geraghty34 OK whats more important finishing time or the experience? This weekend I competed in super sprint tri. Personally felt like I did bad in everything but transitions, but hten when I got my finishing time I was 7 minutes faster than previous year and under my self set goal. Shouls I put stock in the time or what I felt was a bad showing on my part? PS Im a total newbie as this is only 3rd race ever.

You finished faster than your pre-race goal and set a PR by 7 minutes.  What exactly did you do in each of the 3 legs to make you feel as though you did them poorly?  Take satisfaction in the finish time, but use the race as a learning experience.... work on what you think you could have improved on and be faster the next time.

2014-04-14 3:35 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

This will be my 4th year in triathlons.  I will be mostly doing Olympics and I'm all about getting a good time. Sure conditions, weather, health, current fitness level, equipment upgrades all play into my time improvements or setbacks. 

When it's said and done, I want to cross the finish line in an Olympic event and hope to God to see a 2:14:59 or better.  For me, it's all about the time... at least this year.

2014-04-14 4:59 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

The answer depends upon you.  Whichever goal gives you a happy result, or instills a drive to improve, or whatever.... whichever one gives you the positive you are seeking to get from this sport is what is important.

There are lessons to be learned and silver linings in every race... find them and learn from them.  Even on a bad day, you take away something positive.

2014-04-14 11:48 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by geraghty34

OK whats more important finishing time or the experience?
This weekend I competed in super sprint tri. Personally felt like I did bad in everything but transitions, but hten when I got my finishing time I was 7 minutes faster than previous year and under my self set goal. Shouls I put stock in the time or what I felt was a bad showing on my part?
PS Im a total newbie as this is only 3rd race ever.

The great thing about triathlon is you get to make the rules.

What do you think? Which one will help you move forward? Which one shows your progress? Which one helps you motivate?
2014-04-15 11:26 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I thought about this and overall experience is more important. Unless your in some sort of team competition only one who care about your finishing time is you. You and the RD care if you had a good experience during the race. Let face it unless your pro or trying to be we all do this for fun anyways.

You worked hard and you think you could do better. Well you can learn and do better next race. Nothing like getting a PR. Now if you trained faster than you raced that is not farfetched. Remember you swim before you bike and you swam and bike before your run. When you train typically you do not do that so your times may not be as good in a race. Remember a triathlon is not 3 separate events its a single race.

Keep up the good work. May you be faster in your next race.
2014-04-15 1:51 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Neither? Both? Do I have to pick?

I am also a total newbie but have been to a ton of running events.

Timing is a big part of competing and I am sure it will become more so as I get a larger frame of reference in Triathlon. Personal records at a distance really drive me.

I love AG placing as another measure. My aim for every event I enter is to be top 50% for may age group. Which I take as a personal measure of how well I am aging.

Experience is important. I would rather race a new course than a repeat. And only the races with the best course or experience would make me come back.
2014-04-15 1:57 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Seattle

Totally personal.

And personally, I care way more about how I raced than I do my placing or my time.

Time can be dependent on a ton of variables, such as weather and course profile. Placing depends on who shows up. Those are all things that you can't really control.

2014-04-15 5:01 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Totally personal.

And personally, I care way more about how I raced than I do my placing or my time.

Time can be dependent on a ton of variables, such as weather and course profile. Placing depends on who shows up. Those are all things that you can't really control.

This. Evaluate your own experience AND result based on reasonable goals and expectations.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Time or Experience? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pool times vs open water time

Started by Rogillio
Views: 2399 Posts: 18

2005-12-20 1:00 PM jellyfish

"Official" time vs. MY time

Started by cobannero
Views: 573 Posts: 2

2005-08-15 1:34 PM jldicarlo

Chip time or official time?

Started by Wookiee
Views: 680 Posts: 6

2005-05-29 6:11 PM TH3_FRB

Pool Time vs Open Water Time- Your time comparisons

Started by jerry
Views: 1256 Posts: 5

2005-04-01 4:22 PM CLLinIA

First time back in the pool in a loooong time

Started by mtntrainer
Views: 701 Posts: 2

2004-11-19 9:09 PM max
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
comments : 0
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : October 2, 2005
author : writers2
comments : 20
My First Half Ironman Experience-A Slow, Fat, Old Triathlete. Here is my story of my first, and probably only Half Ironman. I’m an almost 52 year old, VERY Athena triathlete.