General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition Tips for 2-a-days Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-14 4:24 PM

, Idaho
Subject: Nutrition Tips for 2-a-days
I'm currently training on a plan that incorporates 3 days of two workouts per week. This is the right amount of workouts for me right now, but I keep tinkering with nutrition during the hours in between workouts. I'm not quite dialing in on my nutrition yet. On the days when my second workout comes after a day of work, I'm hitting a bit of a wall.

What works for you? What are you eating and drinking? What keeps your energy where you need it in between workouts?

Thanks ahead,
Dan

2014-04-14 4:46 PM
in reply to: d.wilk

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Nutrition Tips for 2-a-days

i like to plan my first workout around lunch and breakfast.  either an hour or so after i eat breakfast, or before lunch where i eat afterwards.  I think fueling is pretty key to multiple workouts.  i'll have a recovery/protein shake after each workout as well. 

2014-04-15 5:54 AM
in reply to: d.wilk

User image

Originally posted by d.wilk

I'm currently training on a plan that incorporates 3 days of two workouts per week. This is the right amount of workouts for me right now, but I keep tinkering with nutrition during the hours in between workouts. I'm not quite dialing in on my nutrition yet. On the days when my second workout comes after a day of work, I'm hitting a bit of a wall.

What works for you? What are you eating and drinking? What keeps your energy where you need it in between workouts?

Thanks ahead,
Dan

2 a days - I typically aim for 2700-3000 calories based on what my BMR...normally involves oatmeal pre swim; omelette (or similar post swim), lunch - normally leftovers from the night before - grilled chicken, rice, veggies etc; snacking on fruit/veggies during the day as needed, dinner - depends on what i'm in the mood for - but lean protein, 2-3 veggies, maybe some pasta
2014-04-15 7:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I do three to four doubles during most work weeks. I also have almost zero chance to snack during the work day (teacher), so I pretty much have to get my energy from meals. The following works for me:

Before AM workout--usually a bit of food (banana or energy bar), 1/2 cup of coffee
After AM workout--Fairly substantial breakfast with some protein and fat--usually wheat toast with peanut butter and bananas or muesli or oatmeal with nuts, fruit, and yogurt, coffee

Lunch: Biggest meal of the day. Usually rice with a meat, fish, or tofu dish, a couple of cooked veggies, small veggie soup or salad, fruit. It's a set meal our school offers to staff for about $3 and portions are pretty generous. I avoid anything that might not sit well during my PM workout, such as bread, cheese, and fatty meat. Sometimes I top it off with a smoothie--fresh coconut or bananas, yogurt with the banana smoothie, and black coffee The meal is provided free to local staff, so I'm hardly the only skinny woman eating a very full plate at lunch!

Occasionally I'll have a small snack and/or cup of coffee before the PM workout if I'm feeling particularly tired or (if I didn't find the options for the above meal appealing at lunch and ended up just having noodle soup or something) hungry. Usually a banana or a handful of nuts.

Dinner: Smaller. Usually something simple like the same food as breakfast, pasta with tomato sauce and tuna, or soup noodles with beef or tofu. Mostly carbs with a small amount of protein, maybe a veggie. My relatives in Europe do this--main meal at noon and just a light meal of leftovers, sandwiches, soup, or even breakfast foods for dinner--I think it's normal for there, although it might sound odd to most Americans. if I eat a good lunch mid-day, I find I'm usually not that hungry after a PM workout (swimming's the exception), mostly just tired and want to get dinner over with! I also go to bed really early since I get up at 4:45 to train, and have a hard time sleeping after a heavy meal.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-04-15 7:24 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition Tips for 2-a-days Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Nutrition tips from Macca

Started by Phonger
Views: 770 Posts: 2

2010-08-16 1:08 PM Fastyellow

Nutrition Tips for race day?

Started by MattCan
Views: 567 Posts: 6

2010-06-14 9:20 PM bighorsecreek

2 weeks + 2 days until iron...taper tips!

Started by Comet
Views: 983 Posts: 18

2005-10-06 11:04 AM tmwelshy

Madcow's tip of the day

Started by madcow
Views: 594 Posts: 5

2004-10-30 6:42 AM TypeA Girl Pilot

ODogg's tip of the Day Pages: 1 2 3

Started by ODogg
Views: 1698 Posts: 62

2004-10-24 10:27 PM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
Learn the important aspects of a successful pre-race nutrition plan including carbo-loading and eating the morning of the race.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : June 13, 2005
author : FishrCutB8
comments : 6
A little bit of everything from training, your equipment list, laying out a transition area and other pre-race preparations.
date : March 21, 2005
author : jduscio24
Hydration and glycogen is the key to success in any sport. If you’re missing one, your game is going to suffer tremendously.

date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on carbohydrate loading leading up to triathlon race day.