General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Broken foot - How to train/timeline for getting back into races? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-14 9:16 PM

Subject: Broken foot - How to train/timeline for getting back into races?
Hi all,

I was hoping for a little advice as I start to come back from a foot injury. I broke my cuboid bone in my right foot in mid-February, and I'm still in an air cast until late April. I've never broken a bone before and it honestly feels like it's not getting any better - some days it's incredibly swollen & painful, other days it feels like I can run on it and there would be no problem. it's just really inconsistent right now and I'm not positive it will feel 100 percent better in just three weeks (which will be my 2-month checkup, when I should theoretically be out of the boot).

Before breaking my foot, I was running 70-80 miles per week. Obviously, that's reduced to zero now. I know I'm woefully out of shape, but have tried to get on the elliptical for at least an hour each day, ridden some on the stationary bike (and a couple of times on my road bike...carefully and only in perfect weather conditions) and swam a bit (though it hurts to kick so I have mostly been pulling).

I'm wondering how quickly I can get back into a full-blown tri training plan if my boot does come off the last week of April. I know I need to listen to my body, but when can I typically start following a full plan vs. doing too much too quickly? Is there some sort of common sense guideline (besides just listening to the pain), especially for run mileage, for coming back after a broken foot?

I'm afraid to sign up for any races this summer because it honestly feels like it's not getting any better. I'd like to do my first real race in late June - is that realistic? I've always done too much, too soon, but I want to make sure I don't prolong my recovery. There's nothing that would be worse than being in this air cast during prime tri season, so was hoping for help!

One more thing, does anyone have any exercises that simulate running/will keep me in aerobic shape, other than elliptical intervals? I'm bored to tears on it after 6 weeks.

Thank you so much!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Broken foot - How to train/timeline for getting back into races? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How to train with a broken foot...???

Started by bscharff
Views: 1356 Posts: 5

2010-07-25 8:53 PM swiss tri

Getting Back to Training after a MI

Started by kerux
Views: 869 Posts: 3

2009-10-30 9:17 PM kerux

Broken foot - need workout ideas!

Started by lobstergirl
Views: 1169 Posts: 6

2007-01-09 6:23 PM lobstergirl

Sprained or Broken Foot??

Started by swgtri
Views: 682 Posts: 2

2006-11-30 6:39 PM sue7013

Broken Foot

Started by SenjaO
Views: 660 Posts: 3

2005-07-21 5:10 PM sue7013
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
comments : 0
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.

date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 0
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.