General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sleepy foot Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-15 2:25 PM

User image

Subject: Sleepy foot
Whenever I'm on the bike about 25-30 min in my right foot falls asleep. I have tried different shoes pedals and cleats. Any suggestions?
Does this happen to anyone else?

2014-04-15 2:49 PM
in reply to: Brodzki

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: Sleepy foot

I had a similar issue with some Shimano shoes I had briefly. They were the 3 strap type of shoe. No matter how I adjusted those straps I could not get a decent fit without my foot falling asleep.

I switched to some Specialized shoes with the Boa enclosure, one enclosure tightens the entire shoe evenly, never had another problem with my foot falling asleep. 

2014-04-15 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4982154

User image

Does it go to sleep or go numb?
2014-04-15 3:37 PM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

Try checking your saddle. You might be sitting to your left. This puts pressure on your right leg instead of your butt - causing blood flow to your foot to slow down. One option. If you have a round seat post can be to turn your saddle to the left about one degree. This can open the gap on the right leg.

If you can't turn your seatpost, you can try a more narrow saddle or lowering it - just a tad.

2014-04-15 4:52 PM
in reply to: #4982180

User image

Clarkey77 now I think more about it probably goes more numb then asleep

Thanks for the good advice I got a new saddle coming so I will be curious to see if it helps
2014-04-15 4:58 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Have you had a bike fit ? adjusted cleat position? Tried a more rear cleat position? Do you have any abnormal issues with your feet?

Some bike fits I have had done don't look at the cleat position but look at my knee position as I pedal. Where is your cleat relative to your met head?

I used to have an issue with my foot going to sleep then it would move onto painfully numb but usually after 3 hours or more often when it was above 90 degrees.

I tried some things similar to you, but through narrowing down what it was or was not. It happened in multiple shoes and different bikes, I ended up ordering custom bike shoes to help deal with the issue.  I have wide feet and often would get longer shoes to get more width. Custom shoes fixed that and my cleats are relatively farther back than in my regular road or tri shoes.

2014-04-15 6:11 PM
in reply to: vertseven

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by vertseven

Try checking your saddle. You might be sitting to your left. This puts pressure on your right leg instead of your butt - causing blood flow to your foot to slow down. One option. If you have a round seat post can be to turn your saddle to the left about one degree. This can open the gap on the right leg.

If you can't turn your seatpost, you can try a more narrow saddle or lowering it - just a tad.

I've never heard anything like this before. It's interesting & I stick around for the little nuggets of knowledge like this.
2014-04-15 8:20 PM
in reply to: #4982236

User image

If it goes numb it is nerves and not necessarily blood flow

1 - maybe a blown disc in your back. Hunched over in aero can cause that little but to rub the nerve numb in longer rides
- this happens to me as I have a few blown discs.

2 your saddle is causing your hip/leg to be out of alignment thus causing the nerve issue a little further down.

3 the blood flow listed in others post is the blood flow to a portion if the leg feeding the nerves and not necessarily the foot itself.

2014-04-16 7:38 AM

User image

I have the same problem with my left foot. I have messed with cleat placement and alignment but ultimately I just adjust how I'm sitting on my saddle and it tends to wake back up. I have tried a few different saddles and have the same result if I stay in one place for to long.
2014-04-16 11:56 AM

I had a similar problem with my left foot. I had my bike professionally adjusted and it would still happen. For me it was at the 1hr to 2hr range. It would get so bad I would have to cut my rides short. I added wedges to the base of my shoes, which cut down the problem but did not eliminate it. I suggest you do a little research on wedges. I have used them for two years. The second thing I do is clinch my foot four or five times every 15 minutes. I think the clinching helps increase blood flow, but not sure. Regardless, both steps have eliminated the problem.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sleepy foot Rss Feed