World Triathlon Corporation
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 59m 20s
Overall Rank = 523/1259
Age Group = 3539
Age Group Rank = 85/161
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4 and did my pre-race business. Ate a bagel with peanut butter and water. Showered. Got stuff together and headed to the race site. Got my stuff situated.
Event warmup:

Not much warmup. Only warmup was some stretching and the long walk to the swim start. Part if my warmup also included frantically chasing down race officials to get a replacement swim cap that I somehow lost.
Swim
  • 38m 17s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall, I was satisfied with my swim. I made a point to stay closer to the bouys and away from the walls. The TT start allowed me to have pretty easy time of staying under control. I had some contact but was confident and worked on getting comfortable.
What would you do differently?:

I could have pushed it a bit harder but I was trying to pace myself due to it being a longer distance.
Transition 1
  • 05m 26s
Comments:

I was not concerned with my transition time, as I wanted to take my time and remain calm. I stopped to apply sunblock and make sure everything was taken care of. I was close to the bike out, so I opted to run with my shoes on and mount slowly.

In future events, I will rubber band my shoes and speed up transition, where time is more of a concern.
Bike
  • 2h 56m 3s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.09 mile/hr
Comments:

I had read much about pacing on the bike. Since this was my first 70.3, I didn't want to burn myself out. Although I felt like my bike fitness was quite good, I was very cautious not to blow up my run. I tried to keep a quick cadence and a relatively easy gear. For the first half of the bike, I passed many people. Felt quite strong until I hit about the 45 miles marker and I felt the fatigue. I just don't have much experience at this distance and I'm still building fitness. My neck was sore and I tried to stretch it.

My nutrition seemed to work well. The Shiv Fuselage worked great. I timed my drinking so the Fuselage was empty when I arrived at an aid station. I used Nuun tables that I dropped in the bladder and then quickly emptied an aid station water botter into the Fuselage. I took a Gu about every 35 minutes and some Chomps at the 35 mile marker.

Just improve fitness overall. I was pretty pleased with the bike, but knew it would be a challenge. The course was flat, but there was a head or crosswind nearly the entire way. Only a short tailwind toward the end of the bike. When I was struggling toward the end I was passed by two p5's....I was able to catch them on the one climb on the course and then buried them on the downhill. That gave me some extra juice.
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Once again, I was not overly concerned with my transition time. I was focused on remaining calm, applying sun block and making sure I had everything (hat, sunglasses, etc).

I had misplaced my race belt in the morning and found it late. I forgot to put Gu in the belt so I was basically relying on the aid stations. Don't forget the Gu!
Run
  • 2h 17m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I was concerned about the heat and the conditions. I focused on staying hydrated. I walked the aid stations and took a sip of water and then emptied a handful of ice into my hat. I also would drop a few ice cubes in my tri top near my heart and held a few in my palms and rubbing my wrists. I was hot, but never felt endangered.

I was determined to run the entire course (except walking the aid stations) and just focused on keeping the feet turning over.

Miles 9-11 were a dark place. I was struggling but kept moving.

Take Gu. The athletes guide stated that each aid station would have Gu, so I wasn't too concerned when I forgot my own. At the 1st stop, I spotted one packet. Another guy reached for it just as I did and I deferred to him. There was no more gu the entire course. I did get some chomps and ate about 1/3 of a cliff bar when I was feeling a little toasted of nutrition about mile 8.
Post race
Warm down:

As I approached and crossed the finish line I welled up in tears. I was suddenly very emotional, and I don't really know why. I can't say this has ever happened to me. I made it a point not to immediately sit/fall down. I didn't want to end up in a medical tent.

Eventually, I sat down and nursed some water. I ate an orange slice and a few bites of banana. Eventually, I made it to the athlete's tent and took a short ice bath. I looked around and found an empty chair near a vendor's tent and chilled out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall fitness. I was focused on finishing well, and not really racing. My goals for this event were mostly training related: to put in extra off season miles to allow me to perform better at the shorter Oly distances.

Event comments:

Great event. New Orleans is not my cup of tea. This race was my 2nd choice (I missed the registration for Galveston, so this was the other early season race in relative driving distance).

The event, however was well organized and well put on. I would do it again, but would stay more toward the suburbs away from the hassle and traffic of N.O.

Last updated: 2014-02-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:17 | 2112 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 73/161
Overall: 561/1259
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit
Course: A modified M-shape.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:26
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:56:03 | 56 miles | 19.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/161
Overall: 0/1259
HR ave 155
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Course was mostly flat, with only two hills: up an on ramp onto the highway. I thought the flat course would be easy, but it was a bit unforgiving. Also, there were constant crosswinds and the tailwind I was hoping for never really came. Only a few stretches of tail wind to take advantage of.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:17:27 | 13.1 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 96/161
Overall: 662/1259
ave HR 168
Course: The first 10 miles of the run were flat with no shade. The sun came out and the conditions got rough. The final 3 miles were entering city park with much more shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %n/a
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-04-15 4:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: Ironman 70.3 New Orleans

2014-04-15 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4982227

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 New Orleans
I made the mistake of relying on the aide stations on the run. All I wanted was a gu and it was no where to be found. I kept passing aide stations waiting for some and they never came. What I was really dying for was ice water sponges which they had provided in previous years. Hot water and cliff bars put me in a dark place on the run too where I ended up over heated and had a lack of nutrition. I finally was forced to eat half of a cliff bar that I attempted to chase with hot water. I found this had me angrily shuffling through the rest of the run. I remember a lot of Gu's on the bike. It would have been wise to put the gu's on the run and cliff bars on the bike course. I didn't really see anyone going for bars on the run.
2014-04-16 8:55 AM
in reply to: Tri-a-betic

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
At the aid stations, I always made a point to find the ice, so I can't complain too much about that. I think there were 2-3 that did not have ice. I too was disappointed about the sponges.

I ate about 2 bites of the clif bar and knew it was a mistake. My mouth felt like it was full of gravel and I couldn't wait for the next mile marker to try to wash it down. But I think it served its purpose as it gave me a few calories.
2014-04-16 11:21 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Nice first 70.3!  were you gunning for sub 6?

2014-04-16 1:58 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
I honestly was not gunning for anything. Before leaving, I told my wife I'd probably be happy with anything under 6:30. So, I just went with it and really had no idea where I was time wise. I just tried to pace the bike and then shuffle the best I could on the run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 New Orleans Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans

Started by sesh
Views: 6449 Posts: 21

2009-04-10 5:54 PM draykus

Started by Trail_Runner
Views: 3075 Posts: 12

2009-04-07 2:31 PM Trail_Runner

Started by aplohris
Views: 2304 Posts: 5

2009-04-07 4:20 PM LazyMarathoner

Started by aintaround
Views: 1680 Posts: 1

2009-04-06 1:57 PM aintaround

Started by mammatri's
Views: 3214 Posts: 13

2009-04-09 9:11 AM mammatri's
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.