Other Resources My Cup of Joe » things that should never have been invented Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-04-24 9:13 AM
in reply to: ajusf16

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: things that should never have been invented
I can testify that Moondawg's kids are not fat, despite having electric cars. At least one seems to be an aspiring triathlete. And all were able to walk a mile or so without whining to get ice cream in Saigon.

As for things that should never have been invented, in my personal opinion, computer games. Just unnatural. Perfectly healthy people sit for hours in darkened rooms, staring at little screens and pushing buttons....for fun. I just fail (and have failed since the first Atari games appeared on the scene when I was fifth or sixth grader) to get what's fun about it, or why we need them. I've never actually finished an electronic game--either my reaction time and motor skills are not equal to the task and I "die" in a few seconds, or I get bored and want to go do something real, or read a book.

I guess for adults it's a choice, but I really wonder about the effects on kids. My 10-12 year old students spend about 80-90% of their social time talking about what seems to an outside observer to be total nonsense--it's all scenarios/characters from the game of the hour. Not sure how they develop their own imaginations and ability to negotiate the real world. I guess you could say the same thing about reading fiction, but I'd be thrilled if my kids spent even 5% of their time talking about books!

Okay, it's off my chest. I know I'm an old-fashioned fuddy-duddy. Enjoy your Call of Duty or Candy Crush or whatever. I'm going to go read.

2014-04-24 9:35 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Hot Runner I can testify that Moondawg's kids are not fat, despite having electric cars. At least one seems to be an aspiring triathlete. And all were able to walk a mile or so without whining to get ice cream in Saigon. As for things that should never have been invented, in my personal opinion, computer games. Just unnatural. Perfectly healthy people sit for hours in darkened rooms, staring at little screens and pushing buttons....for fun. I just fail (and have failed since the first Atari games appeared on the scene when I was fifth or sixth grader) to get what's fun about it, or why we need them. I've never actually finished an electronic game--either my reaction time and motor skills are not equal to the task and I "die" in a few seconds, or I get bored and want to go do something real, or read a book. I guess for adults it's a choice, but I really wonder about the effects on kids. My 10-12 year old students spend about 80-90% of their social time talking about what seems to an outside observer to be total nonsense--it's all scenarios/characters from the game of the hour. Not sure how they develop their own imaginations and ability to negotiate the real world. I guess you could say the same thing about reading fiction, but I'd be thrilled if my kids spent even 5% of their time talking about books! Okay, it's off my chest. I know I'm an old-fashioned fuddy-duddy. Enjoy your Call of Duty or Candy Crush or whatever. I'm going to go read.

Agree 100%. 

2014-04-24 3:55 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Minecraft on the Kindle

Minecraft on Xbox.

Minecraft on IPad.

I would really like to drown the British accented Minecraft instructional video d-bag who has some sort of addictive control over my kids.  

****I don't like Minecraft if you haven't figured that out****

2014-04-24 6:46 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
"Game of the Hour" in my class right now is none other than Minecraft!
2014-04-24 7:33 PM
in reply to: ajusf16

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by ajusf16
Originally posted by moondawg14

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy
Originally posted by KSH

Those stupid cars made for kids.

CAR

Let's see, we already have a society trying to fight childhood obesity... so yes, we need to give our kids a toy that does ALL THE WORK FOR THEM... why make the kid, pedal, push, etc.? Let's give him or her a cute toy car they can sit in and drive around without any effort what-so-ever. Yes. That's a great idea. *smacks forehead* 

Amen! Those things are just awful.

Meh.  My kids had one.  One kid drives, the other kids chase them around.  Then another kid drives, and the other kids chase them around.  If you're looking to blame things for fat kids, electric cars would be pretty far down the list.  

Of course in China, they've taken it even farther... you can buy those cars, but they're REMOTE CONTROLLED so the parents just drive the kids around. 

If you want to get angry about kids toys, start with: Any electric toy that makes noise and does NOT have a volume control.   I've cracked open toys and soldered in resistors just to bring it down to a reasonable level. 

as a father to be I am taking notes on the soldering idea, thank you!

Find a high-range potentiometer, put it in the circuit, find the "right volume" then take it out.  Measure the resistance and put in a resistor. (most toys won't have room for the pot without some modification.)   A lot of those tiny speakers have weird impedance values.  

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » things that should never have been invented Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

I am over having long hair Pages: 1 2

Started by Chuckhead
Views: 5508 Posts: 35

2012-02-01 3:09 PM mgalanter

I am having

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 1521 Posts: 12

2011-10-06 7:29 PM jsmoon

Things that suck about having a loved one gone (not sad)

Started by Spokes
Views: 1069 Posts: 9

2009-07-08 8:17 AM wwlani

I am not having fun. Pages: 1 2

Started by Spokes
Views: 2591 Posts: 29

2007-09-18 11:49 PM AdventureBear

Having to rely on others for important things.

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 1109 Posts: 6

2006-09-12 8:02 AM mathsgeek
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.

date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.