Other Resources My Cup of Joe » things that should never have been invented Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-04-19 6:09 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Subject: RE: things that should never have been invented
Originally posted by briderdt

Skinny jeans.

Barney.

Most every Disney sit-com-for-kids ever made.

The Ford Explorer Sport-Trac.

Rap.

YES!

But seriously, are you a truck or SUV? Make up your mind

2014-04-19 11:43 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Elite
I just read an article on Palcohol?
Powdered alcohol you can bring anywhere!
Sprinkle it in your non-alcoholic beverages. Sprinkle it into dips, sauces, etc.
This could be revolutionary...and it's for real.

2014-04-19 12:14 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by zed707

I never in a million years would have guessed the direction this thread has ended up going.

Sometimes it just needs a little nudge

need more than a nudge to get a mason jar in there, i'm thinking.

No doubt. I'm guessing you don't go zero-to-mason jar. There'd be a progression, no?

Serious question: can a rectum function normally after an object that large has been there? I'm not usually one to judge people's fettishes, but it's hard to imagine voluntarily signing up for the short-term, literal, PITA and the long term issues. No sex is worth irreversible anal leakage.

How in the world do you get Barney and irreversible anal leakage in the same thread? 

I hadn't stopped by this thread in a while. This may be the biggest 180 degree turn I've seen in quite some time...

2014-04-19 1:43 PM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy I just read an article on Palcohol? Powdered alcohol you can bring anywhere! Sprinkle it in your non-alcoholic beverages. Sprinkle it into dips, sauces, etc. This could be revolutionary...and it's for real.

This thread is about things that should never have been invented.  As a proponent of excess in moderation, powdered alcohol sounds brilliant to me!

2014-04-20 7:47 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by donw Not really trying to take this in an environmental direction. Thinking more along the line that some inventions aren't better than an older, simpler device. Bottled water. (Use the tap.) Leaf blowers. (A rake.) Compact flourescent bulbs. (Incandescent bulbs.)

Yes yes yes on the leaf blowers!!!  Those things annoy me to no end.

No way.  Leaf blowers are great!  You can't rake the grass off of your driveway when you're done mowing, or rake the leaves out of the landscaping without messing up your rocks or mulch. 

They should, however, be equipped with timed starting devices that don't allow them to be started before 10 AM. 

2014-04-20 9:36 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Sylvania, Ga
Infomercials, condoms.

2014-04-21 3:58 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Those stupid cars made for kids.

CAR

Let's see, we already have a society trying to fight childhood obesity... so yes, we need to give our kids a toy that does ALL THE WORK FOR THEM... why make the kid, pedal, push, etc.? Let's give him or her a cute toy car they can sit in and drive around without any effort what-so-ever. Yes. That's a great idea. *smacks forehead* 

2014-04-21 4:00 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

The bachelor video game

2014-04-21 4:16 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by moondawg14

Originally posted by donw Not really trying to take this in an environmental direction. Thinking more along the line that some inventions aren't better than an older, simpler device. Bottled water. (Use the tap.) Leaf blowers. (A rake.) Compact flourescent bulbs. (Incandescent bulbs.)

No way.  Leaf blowers are great!  You can't rake the grass off of your driveway when you're done mowing, or rake the leaves out of the landscaping without messing up your rocks or mulch. 

They should, however, be equipped with timed starting devices that don't allow them to be started before 10 AM. 

That is what a broom is for.

2014-04-21 6:11 PM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by KSH

CAR

Let's see, we already have a society trying to fight childhood obesity... so yes, we need to give our kids a toy that does ALL THE WORK FOR THEM... why make the kid, pedal, push, etc.? Let's give him or her a cute toy car they can sit in and drive around without any effort what-so-ever. Yes. That's a great idea. *smacks forehead* 

Amen! Those things are just awful.
2014-04-21 7:13 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by crowny2

That is what a broom is for.

My driveway is over 6000 square feet, I don't have that kind of time.  Great, now I have to move to the first-world problems thread.

2014-04-21 7:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy
Originally posted by KSH

CAR

Meh.  My kids had one.  One kid drives, the other kids chase them around.  Then another kid drives, and the other kids chase them around.  If you're looking to blame things for fat kids, electric cars would be pretty far down the list.  

Of course in China, they've taken it even farther... you can buy those cars, but they're REMOTE CONTROLLED so the parents just drive the kids around. 

If you want to get angry about kids toys, start with: Any electric toy that makes noise and does NOT have a volume control.   I've cracked open toys and soldered in resistors just to bring it down to a reasonable level. 

Edited by moondawg14 2014-04-21 7:25 PM
2014-04-22 6:17 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by KSH

CAR

Meh.  My kids had one.  One kid drives, the other kids chase them around.  Then another kid drives, and the other kids chase them around.  If you're looking to blame things for fat kids, electric cars would be pretty far down the list.  

Of course in China, they've taken it even farther... you can buy those cars, but they're REMOTE CONTROLLED so the parents just drive the kids around. 

If you want to get angry about kids toys, start with: Any electric toy that makes noise and does NOT have a volume control.   I've cracked open toys and soldered in resistors just to bring it down to a reasonable level. 

I agree with Ryan.  I don't view them as any different than the go carts and mini bikes I rode as a child.  I spent more time riding my bike.  It was just another toy.  My son had one too, and he's played sports year-round for the last 15 years, so I don't see them as particularly contributory to childhood obesity.

2014-04-22 9:46 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

My Sport Trac was my favorite non-Mustang vehicle I've ever owned. 

Flathead screws suck.

But my nomination for the thread is the new Cisco IP phones with the built in camera so every phone call I make at work becomes a video conference.  Ugh.

2014-04-22 11:02 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by KSH

CAR

Most kids just SIT in them and do nothing. Glad to hear your kids actually get out of the car and move. I'm just not sure why kids need a toy that requires no effort on their part to operate. Unless you consider steering an effort. ? 

Funny... right after I posted this I saw that a friend posted a picture of her kids in one of these silly cars. Which was rather shocking considering she was an endurance athlete and her husband is still racing bikes. 

I never buy toys for kids that make sound. I don't want the parents to be tortured like that. 

2014-04-22 11:03 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by KSH

CAR

I agree with Ryan.  I don't view them as any different than the go carts and mini bikes I rode as a child.  I spent more time riding my bike.  It was just another toy.  My son had one too, and he's played sports year-round for the last 15 years, so I don't see them as particularly contributory to childhood obesity.

Do they MAKE a kid obese? Of course not. But I just don't understand why kids need a toy that does all the work for them. 

Luckily I never had kids. I would have been a very mean parent, obviously.  

2014-04-22 11:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by KSH

Do they MAKE a kid obese? Of course not. But I just don't understand why kids need a toy that does all the work for them. 

I agree with you.  I would rather see a kid on a bike, scooter, or skateboard, than on one of the electric jeeps.

Funny aside - I watched a guy place his young kid into one of those electric cars which was on display at Wal-Mart, on display off of the ground on some stacked boxes.  As you might guess, the kid pressed the peddle and off he went.  Luckily he and the jeep landed on his dad and the youngster was unharmed.

Edited by Hook'em 2014-04-22 11:12 AM
2014-04-22 1:07 PM

Master
Memphis, TN
Justin Beiber
2014-04-22 1:48 PM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I hate leaf blowers too. 

Motorized kids toys--we've had a couple (given to us as gifts), a Thomas and a John Deere tractor.  The kids loved them.  We struggled with it.  our experience was very similar to Ryan's--one kid drove and the others chased.

I have a new one to add--flourescent lights that hum.  It's really, really unpleasant to be in a room with that kind of noise.

2014-04-22 3:20 PM

User image

Denver, CO

"Designer dogs."  Granted some are cute (e.g., puggles) and some are bred to be hypoallergenic (e.g., goldendoodles), but most are just the result of unscrupulous dog breeders selling overpriced mutts to uneducated people.  There's a pretty high likelihood that many of these dogs came from puppy mills or people who were irresponsible and didn't keep their female dog from getting pregnant.  And while I'm on my rant, puppy mills themselves are horrible. 

Harrumph.  [Climbs down from soap box and stomps off to make a donation to the local animal shelter.]

2014-04-22 3:22 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I have a new one to add--flourescent lights that hum.  It's really, really unpleasant to be in a room with that kind of noise.

Not sure that's an invention per se.  It's more like a malfunctioning invention.  (It's usually a result of a bad ballast in the fixture, which can be fixed fairly easily.)  That being said, however, I agree - it's annoying as heck!!

2014-04-22 7:59 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by KSH

Of course they don't *need* it.  But a wide variety of toys gives kids a variety of experiences, which is good for their brains.   

Plus, if they like it you can use it as a reward.

"Mom, can I drive my electric car?" 

"As soon as you're done using the leaf blower to clear the driveway.  You need some exercise, you fat little fck." 

2014-04-23 4:34 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by KSH

Luckily I never had kids. I would have been a very mean parent, obviously. :

Of course they don't *need* it.  But a wide variety of toys gives kids a variety of experiences, which is good for their brains.   

Plus, if they like it you can use it as a reward.

"Mom, can I drive my electric car?" 

"As soon as you're done using the leaf blower to clear the driveway.  You need some exercise, you fat little fck." 

Hilarious.

2014-04-24 8:26 AM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Expert
Originally posted by RussTKD

My Sport Trac was my favorite non-Mustang vehicle I've ever owned. 

Flathead screws suck.

But my nomination for the thread is the new Cisco IP phones with the built in camera so every phone call I make at work becomes a video conference.  Ugh.

conveniently placed sticky note would resolve that
2014-04-24 8:26 AM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by KSH

CAR

as a father to be I am taking notes on the soldering idea, thank you!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » things that should never have been invented Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

I am over having long hair Pages: 1 2

Started by Chuckhead
Views: 5518 Posts: 35

2012-02-01 3:09 PM mgalanter

I am having

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 1523 Posts: 12

2011-10-06 7:29 PM jsmoon

Things that suck about having a loved one gone (not sad)

Started by Spokes
Views: 1069 Posts: 9

2009-07-08 8:17 AM wwlani

I am not having fun. Pages: 1 2

Started by Spokes
Views: 2603 Posts: 29

2007-09-18 11:49 PM AdventureBear

Having to rely on others for important things.

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 1117 Posts: 6

2006-09-12 8:02 AM mathsgeek
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.

date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.