General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming related elbow pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-16 9:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Subject: Swimming related elbow pain
I decided this morning during my swim I'd post up this question for you swimming experts to comment on.

I'm a decent swimmer for a triathlete as I came from a competitive swimming background. Anyway... a couple years ago I joined Masters and had my form totally changed (updated from what I learned in the early 90s). It solved the shoulder pain that had sidelined me back in high school.

But it exacerbated this weird thing I do with my right wrist which now is giving me pain in my elbow at the end of long sets. My coaches have been telling me to relax it and I cannot figure out how to do it. Does anybody have any drills or tricks on how to consciously relax your wrists?

2014-04-16 12:33 PM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Swimming related elbow pain
Originally posted by MechEChick

I decided this morning during my swim I'd post up this question for you swimming experts to comment on.

I'm a decent swimmer for a triathlete as I came from a competitive swimming background. Anyway... a couple years ago I joined Masters and had my form totally changed (updated from what I learned in the early 90s). It solved the shoulder pain that had sidelined me back in high school.

But it exacerbated this weird thing I do with my right wrist which now is giving me pain in my elbow at the end of long sets. My coaches have been telling me to relax it and I cannot figure out how to do it. Does anybody have any drills or tricks on how to consciously relax your wrists?

Stop pulling? Anchor and rotate past? Without actually seeing you swim I'd guess it's something proximal to your wrists and your wrists are the thing you unconsciously have the most control over so you probably pull and tense when you stroke. Just guessing.
2014-04-16 7:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Do you stretch regularly? You are a way more experienced swimmer than I am so you may already do this. As an adult onset swimmer I never thought about stretching my shoulders. After struggling with elbow and wrist pain from swimming I went to a massage therapist. She told me that I had a lack of mobility in my scapulas. After a few good massages and regular stretching my elbows and wrist pain is much better. Good luck to you!
2014-04-17 9:21 AM
in reply to: desertchica

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Thanks for the advice! I'll give these drills and stretching more a try!
2014-04-17 10:01 AM

User image

Do you ever do any work with paddles? For me personally it helps keep everything on the correct plane through the pull and if you are doing anything out of the ordinary with wrist position it'll definitely show with paddles. Perhaps a few slow pull sets with paddles?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming related elbow pain Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Elbow Pain from Swimming

Started by nickster
Views: 1270 Posts: 3

2013-12-15 4:18 PM AdventureBear

Elbow pain caused by swimming?

Started by jgalaviz
Views: 1034 Posts: 6

2011-04-28 3:25 PM halfmarathondon

Elbow pain with swim

Started by Oldteen
Views: 928 Posts: 4

2010-02-11 8:49 PM Oldteen

Common reason for elbow pain from swimming?

Started by matt3liv
Views: 1090 Posts: 6

2008-01-22 10:51 AM matt3liv

Elbow pain after bike ride - Please help!

Started by punkroq975
Views: 4699 Posts: 9

2004-09-15 3:24 PM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 23, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 3
What are the possible treatments for tennis elbow?

date : March 23, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
This is a video of the fingertip drag drill used for recovery to promote high elbows upon hand entry.

date : March 4, 2009
author : nevergivin
comments : 5
Benefits of an underwater swim clinic to help correct your swimming stroke - plus a few swim tips to be mindful of.
date : January 3, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
We review the Halo Swim Trainer and how it can help the 'high elbow catch' part of your swim stroke along with your swimming tempo.

date : July 9, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on swimming slower, swim golf, the fist drill and shoulder pain.
date : September 4, 2006
Discussions on leg dragging, swimming with fins, body rotation, keeping the elbow up, kicking benefits and stroke length.

date : July 4, 2006
Focusing on the first part of the pull and avoiding the dreaded “dropped elbow” can help transform your stroke, and allow you to relax and let go of these common challenges.