World Triathlon Corporation
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 39m 50s
Overall Rank = 402/1603
Age Group = 24 & Under
Age Group Rank = 8/47
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:15am, had a banana, and started drinking some water. We got to the marina around 6am and I took my time setting up everything in transition. By the time I had my wetsuit on and was waiting for the race to start I had to pee like I'd never had to before. So I waited in line forever and took care of that before the race started. After the pros were off it didn't take long to get people in the water thanks to the new time trial procedures for this race.
Event warmup:

Nothing special here, just some walking around before the race and some mild stretching.
Swim
  • 26m 51s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim went a lot better than I was expecting it to. Being my first OWS in a wetsuit, I wasn't sure what to expect but I was happily surprised at my performance. What the swim did show me, however, is that I need a lot of work on my OWS skills (sighting, breathing, rounding buoys).
What would you do differently?:

Work on the skills before my next OWS.
Transition 1
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

Apparently there were wetsuit strippers out there (which I was really looking forward to) but I never saw them and just kept running to my bike. It took me a while to get the wetsuit off but I'm sure I didn't lose too much time doing so by myself. Tried out the rubber bands with the shoes on the pedals for the first time without ever practicing it (I know, I know) and it worked out pretty well.

Take more time to practice transitions before my next race.
Bike
  • 2h 43m 17s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Despite all the things I read assuring me that I would overcook the bike leg of my first HIM, I really though I knew my body better than that. Well, I overcooked the bike leg big time for the wind and temperature conditions (it got HOT). By the time I rolled into T2 I was caked in sweat and dehydrated. The athlete guide called for aid stations at miles 15, 28, and 42 -- this was definitely not the case. The first aid station was closer to 10, the second closer to 40, and the last was at 50. I'm not sure who planned those out but I really hope they get that fixed for next year.

Train, train, train. Oh, and not overcook the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

I was absolutely demolished coming into T2. When I got off the bike my legs were in really bad shape.

Prepare for the weather!
Run
  • 2h 24m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

This was easily the most difficult two and a half hours of my life. I hit the first mile marked in 7:25 and slowed for the first aid station not long after. My legs immediately began to walk up and I was feeling a bit delirious. A volunteer asked me if I was okay and if I needed some suncreen (could the burn really be that bad?) -- this was my first indication that I was in some serious trouble. Well, I had driven 1100 miles to come to this race, NO WAY was I taking a DNF. So I had a decision to make, push it and risk bonking completely or take it super easy and have a crappy run time. Well, I think we know how that turned out!

Hydrate properly on the bike and do more brick workouts.
Post race
Warm down:

I hobbled around for a bit, attempting to keep myself from passing out completely. I walked through the medic tent and decided I didn't need to wrap myself in a space blanket and lay down. I eventually made my way over to the food tent for some much deserved jambalaya and beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, weather, poor hydration.

Event comments:

I think this is a great race for people looking to do their first HIM. I also think that mine is a cautionary tale -- make sure you hydrate properly and prepare for the weather!

Last updated: 2013-11-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:51 | 2112 yards | 01m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/47
Overall: 42/1603
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex Sleeveless
Course: The swim course was N-shaped. I'm not complaining about it because since they moved it to the marina, the chop in the lake isn't a factor for this swim.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:43:17 | 56 miles | 20.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/47
Overall: 187/1603
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Essentially this course was a big out and back with another little out and back snuck in there to get the miles in. The first 6 or so miles weren't too bad (can't say the same for the guy in front of me who hit a cone at mile 2, OUCH), the turn down 510 was easy as well except for a few rough patches on the overpass. Once I made the turn onto 90 I was cruising along at a MUCH better pace than I had anticipated (that really should have been my first clue that something was up). Once I hit the first turnaround, the wind hit me hard. I was punished all the way until the turnaround up into the Irish Bayou when it calmed down a bit. At the next turnaround I was again blasted in the face with a strong wind. That continued pretty much until the turn back up 510. After the turn off of Paris Road my legs really started hurting. I did the best I could for the last five miles but that last overpass really did me in.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:24:34 | 13.1 miles | 11m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/47
Overall: 402/1603
Performance: Bad
Course: This was a point to point run with a little out and back in the middle. First half was all along the nice and calm lake (read: windy and sunny). After that it was a turn south and into City Park.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-04-16 10:44 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Subject: Ironman 70.3 New Orleans

2014-04-16 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4982495

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 New Orleans

Great job and that has to be a top 5% swim....  I had the same experience coming of the bike, and think a lot of folks did too.  The wind really cooked us on the bike, took up a lot of mental and physical energy to deal with.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 New Orleans Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans

Started by sesh
Views: 6446 Posts: 21

2009-04-10 5:54 PM draykus

Started by Trail_Runner
Views: 3072 Posts: 12

2009-04-07 2:31 PM Trail_Runner

Started by aplohris
Views: 2299 Posts: 5

2009-04-07 4:20 PM LazyMarathoner

Started by aintaround
Views: 1680 Posts: 1

2009-04-06 1:57 PM aintaround

Started by mammatri's
Views: 3212 Posts: 13

2009-04-09 9:11 AM mammatri's
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.