General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you do triathlons to win or do you do them for fun? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

Do you do triathlons to win or do you do them for fun?
OptionResults
If I'm not on the podium, the race was a failure24 Votes - [21.05%]
WOO HOO! Another finisher's medal!90 Votes - [78.95%]

2014-04-16 10:39 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Subject: RE: Do you do triathlons to win or do you do them for fun?
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by Meathead

Title says it all. Are you into endurance sports & triathlons to win or are you into them for the simple satisfaction of completing a race? Clearly we all want to get better & push ourselves to do our best or we wouldn't be on BT, but are you competing against yourself & goals you set or are you competing against the field & going for a podium?

I say this because I occasionally see threads where speeds of people in my AG are mentioned as being just OK & I know that my speeds will never get that fast. I like to set personal goals & if I happen to work my way up the ranks, so be it, but for me, just finishing a race with a time that I deem to be good for myself is sufficient.

So what say you?

Back when I was swimming, my time was the only thing that mattered except for three events - Long and Short Course National Championships and the Olympic Games.  At those events, the only thing that mattered was a podium finish.

Now, I suppose it isn't really that much different.  Day to day, event to event, my race is with myself and the clock.  If I set a PR, then I have won.  If I happen to podium, then so much the better.  However, there are still a couple races a year when there is an opportunity to qualify for Kona where my time doesn't matter so much - in those races is it all about AG position and earning that KQ spot.  Even at those races though, if I have left everything on the course, then I have won.

I suppose at the end of the day, it comes down to how you define "Win."

"Win" really only has one definition in a race......and I know you know that.  As a society we have, at some point, decided that we can all be winners....but that's not really true in the context of a race.  There is only one.

I know the definition is generational now......but I prefer the definition we use in my generation.  You can be successful and measure your success in your own way.......but only one person wins a race, that's the deal.

Just one? Assuming that the fastest time belongs to a man, does that mean the first woman isn't a winner?

2014-04-16 10:44 PM
in reply to: #4982512

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
briderdt:

My original post was more correct than your clarification. I start many things, but I give up and quit easily. Therefore, when I cross the finish line, I've beaten my worst critic/strongest competitor:

Me.
2014-04-17 6:08 AM
in reply to: donw

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by donw

Title says it all. Are you into endurance sports & triathlons to win or are you into them for the simple satisfaction of completing a race? Clearly we all want to get better & push ourselves to do our best or we wouldn't be on BT, but are you competing against yourself & goals you set or are you competing against the field & going for a podium?

I say this because I occasionally see threads where speeds of people in my AG are mentioned as being just OK & I know that my speeds will never get that fast. I like to set personal goals & if I happen to work my way up the ranks, so be it, but for me, just finishing a race with a time that I deem to be good for myself is sufficient.

So what say you?

Back when I was swimming, my time was the only thing that mattered except for three events - Long and Short Course National Championships and the Olympic Games.  At those events, the only thing that mattered was a podium finish.

Now, I suppose it isn't really that much different.  Day to day, event to event, my race is with myself and the clock.  If I set a PR, then I have won.  If I happen to podium, then so much the better.  However, there are still a couple races a year when there is an opportunity to qualify for Kona where my time doesn't matter so much - in those races is it all about AG position and earning that KQ spot.  Even at those races though, if I have left everything on the course, then I have won.

"Win" really only has one definition in a race......and I know you know that.  As a society we have, at some point, decided that we can all be winners....but that's not really true in the context of a race.  There is only one.

I know the definition is generational now......but I prefer the definition we use in my generation.  You can be successful and measure your success in your own way.......but only one person wins a race, that's the deal.

Just one? Assuming that the fastest time belongs to a man, does that mean the first woman isn't a winner?

heh... this thread is going the right direction now...
2014-04-17 7:27 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

So what say you?

I somewhat agree with this perspective.  Our culture has become one of mediocrity because all of us have become winners in an untrue sense of the word.  For a short time I was a subscriber to the "everyone's a winner" mentality.  Now I see some of the expectations (vastly in my career field) of mediocre performers desiring high performance benefits.

I think the largest part of our gauge should be whether we feel we have succeeded in accomplishing the goals set forth before a given competition or career path, etc.  We shouldn't allow others to determine whether we feel successful or not.  If you see something you want, go after it!

For me personally, even knowing I place highly in my AG at local and regional races, success (previously described as "winning") is competing against myself more than the field.  I enjoy the podium experience but it's not the end all.  I gauge my given races on whether I was mentally able to push myself into whatever extreme I felt was important; be it the dark recesses of my personal pain cave or giving up a little and "rest" some by pulling up a little to recover a little.

2014-04-17 9:46 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by DirkP

So what say you?

I somewhat agree with this perspective.  Our culture has become one of mediocrity because all of us have become winners in an untrue sense of the word.  For a short time I was a subscriber to the "everyone's a winner" mentality.  Now I see some of the expectations (vastly in my career field) of mediocre performers desiring high performance benefits.

I think the largest part of our gauge should be whether we feel we have succeeded in accomplishing the goals set forth before a given competition or career path, etc.  We shouldn't allow others to determine whether we feel successful or not.  If you see something you want, go after it!

For me personally, even knowing I place highly in my AG at local and regional races, success (previously described as "winning") is competing against myself more than the field.  I enjoy the podium experience but it's not the end all.  I gauge my given races on whether I was mentally able to push myself into whatever extreme I felt was important; be it the dark recesses of my personal pain cave or giving up a little and "rest" some by pulling up a little to recover a little.

Trying... to... resist... urge... to... rant... about... race... medals...
And I'm from the beginning of the "participation trophy" generation. Just threw out 12 years of summer swim team trophies a couple years ago. The three ribbons I got from championship races in those 12 years are still around though.
2014-04-17 11:02 AM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

I got on a podium for the first time ever last weekend in a sprint tri where I had the second fastest bike split and fastest run split in my AG.  That felt pretty good.

But I prefer to race big races (still a neophyte triathlete, so I'm talking about running), so my chances of getting on a podium are next to nil and I'm OK with that.  I'd rather run a half-marathon with 5,000 people and push to get in the top 10% of my AG instead of a small local 5K where i can probably win or get second. 

I've got a buddy who runs every 5K he comes across and has podiumed a few times.  But his 5K PR is 5 minutes slower than mine.  I could probably collect trophies if I did what he does, but winning a 5K with 30 people who aren't runners and are just out for whatever the cause is doesn't really interest me.

2014-04-17 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I workout for the myriad of health benefits that I now enjoy. With this said, I enter races, not for the chance of winning, but to enjoy the camaraderie of others that share the same passion, as someone says above the "carnival" of the event, and to have a tangible goal to work towards during my training.

As far as competition, I am there to compete against myself. I am a FOP swimmer, a MOP-BOP biker and a clear BOP runner. A victory for me is to have people finish behind me. Most of the time this happens.
2014-04-17 11:44 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

I must do them for fun, because I don't stand a chance at winning. I also couldn't care less about a finisher's medal, to me medals are for the winners; my medal is the sense of accomplishment of doing the best I could.

That being said, I was pretty stoked last year when I finally finished in the top 50% of my age group.
2014-04-17 11:54 AM
in reply to: kbeddoes

User image

Champion
New York, NY
I do them to compete with myself - so that does not mean podium (only did that once) though who knows in the future - I would have to go find a very small race - but I do look for improvement in myself.
2014-04-17 12:04 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

every race I have fun at, is a win to me.  What option should I pick?

2014-04-17 12:11 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I do it to have an excuse to wear spandex and the SWAG...

2014-04-17 12:14 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I do it for the money.

2014-04-17 3:03 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Reece Bobby put it best:

"If you ain't first... you're last!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlYbpDylmUs

2014-04-17 3:34 PM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Originally posted by MechEChick

What about a middle option? I do them for fun and to try to better my times, but I also do them to compete. I may not make the podium, yet I do like chasing down other people and comparing my times to the other people at the race.

X2
2014-04-17 4:04 PM
in reply to: nickster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Years ago I was super competitive and gave it everything that I had. Now that I am older I go out to have fun but still try to do my best. I do however take pleasure in passing men that are twenty years my junior on the run. Last year I passed a "kid" on the second mile in a race and heard him say "Holy @#$% I just got passed by someone twice my age!".
2014-04-17 5:49 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Originally posted by donw

So what say you?

Correct!

2014-04-17 5:56 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
Both. Good post race food is a plus too.
2014-04-17 7:38 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

As a newb to Tri's, mine have been for fun and the accomplishment. I think I am hooked and am very keen to improve my fitness, endurance and times! So far (all 4 of my tris!), I have been going out to finish and try to best my times, and I am working on some goals to aim for. I like to compete against myself, but I also enjoy looking at others times (well ahead of mine) and thinking about when I can challenge them!
2014-04-18 8:10 AM
in reply to: thebigb

Veteran
Originally posted by thebigb

I race to win. If I'm not in a spot to win I'll just drop out. Still currently waiting to finish a race. 

LOVE this! I will laugh about this. thanks for making my day
2014-04-18 8:46 AM

Veteran

So what say you?

gotta agree. ...unless you are Charlie Sheen
2014-04-18 12:56 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

So what say you?

Hey LB -

I am not sure I take so narrow a view.  I agree that only one person can come in first in a race.  That is not to say however, that if you are not in first place you have not won.  As I said in my earlier post, it depends upon how you define winning.  There is ALWAYS someone that is faster.  I set a world record back in the day.  Only problem was, someone broke my record 20 minutes later.  And neither of us got first place in the final that evening - probably because we both left it all on the bottom of the pool in the semi's.  I consider that race in the semi's as one of my best ever races.  I set a PR that I never broke and doubt, at this late date, that I ever will.  I didn't go home with the gold hardware, but I swam a pretty fast time.  Using the definition of only one winner, then I lost.  Using a bit broader definition in which I am competing against myself, than I won.

What about the 300 pound person that has decided to make a life change and starts to exercise?  That person has slightly better than a snowball's chance in hell of reaching the podium.  However, has that same person not won when he/she sheds 100 pounds and improves their health?  Like I said, it depends upon how you define winning.

2014-04-18 7:05 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Pro

So what say you?

Hey LB -

I am not sure I take so narrow a view.  I agree that only one person can come in first in a race.  That is not to say however, that if you are not in first place you have not won.  As I said in my earlier post, it depends upon how you define winning.  There is ALWAYS someone that is faster.  I set a world record back in the day.  Only problem was, someone broke my record 20 minutes later.  And neither of us got first place in the final that evening - probably because we both left it all on the bottom of the pool in the semi's.  I consider that race in the semi's as one of my best ever races.  I set a PR that I never broke and doubt, at this late date, that I ever will.  I didn't go home with the gold hardware, but I swam a pretty fast time.  Using the definition of only one winner, then I lost.  Using a bit broader definition in which I am competing against myself, than I won.

What about the 300 pound person that has decided to make a life change and starts to exercise?  That person has slightly better than a snowball's chance in hell of reaching the podium.  However, has that same person not won when he/she sheds 100 pounds and improves their health?  Like I said, it depends upon how you define winning.

No, in the context of a triathlon race that person did not win. 

That final you raced after you set a world record earlier in the day.....you didn't win that race either.

In my day, we won and lost.......and we liked it.

2014-04-18 7:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Do it all for fun, fitness, and finishing. The medal is nice only for the reason that I can give it to Medals4Mettle.org and to someone who truly is a competitor.
2014-04-19 7:39 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
I do triathlons because I absolutely adore slightly bruised banana halves and cannot resist any event where they're available for free.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you do triathlons to win or do you do them for fun? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2095 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1646 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Doing tri's purely for the fun it.... Pages: 1 2

Started by SSMinnow
Views: 1680 Posts: 36

2007-10-21 8:38 AM KathyG

Who's doing their first triathlon this weekend? Pages: 1 2

Started by the bear
Views: 1547 Posts: 30

2004-08-20 9:38 PM Zilla

Anyone else doing the Seagate Pittsburgh Triathlon

Started by tortoise
Views: 842 Posts: 5

2004-07-12 9:53 AM tri tank
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"