General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you do triathlons to win or do you do them for fun? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

Do you do triathlons to win or do you do them for fun?
OptionResults
If I'm not on the podium, the race was a failure24 Votes - [21.05%]
WOO HOO! Another finisher's medal!90 Votes - [78.95%]

2014-04-16 11:20 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: Do you do triathlons to win or do you do them for fun?
Title says it all. Are you into endurance sports & triathlons to win or are you into them for the simple satisfaction of completing a race? Clearly we all want to get better & push ourselves to do our best or we wouldn't be on BT, but are you competing against yourself & goals you set or are you competing against the field & going for a podium?

I say this because I occasionally see threads where speeds of people in my AG are mentioned as being just OK & I know that my speeds will never get that fast. I like to set personal goals & if I happen to work my way up the ranks, so be it, but for me, just finishing a race with a time that I deem to be good for myself is sufficient.

So what say you?

2014-04-16 11:36 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Subject: RE: Do you do triathlons to win or do you do them for fun?
Winning is fun.
2014-04-16 11:40 AM
in reply to: MonkeyClaw

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I race to win, but way to couch your question to make it seem bad to feel that way.

2014-04-16 11:43 AM
in reply to: MonkeyClaw

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
What about a middle option? I do them for fun and to try to better my times, but I also do them to compete. I may not make the podium, yet I do like chasing down other people and comparing my times to the other people at the race.
2014-04-16 11:50 AM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

It would be great if I had the ability to win but I do not.  I exercise for mental health and racing is part of the fun.The races would be pretty darn small if only the top 2% of people participating continued to race because the other 98% of us could not win so we quit.  From a health standpoint I think the attitude of "why bother if I/ you can't win" is a terrible one.  We are a nation of obese and overweight people. ANYTHING to get ANYONE off the couch and moving more is a good thing. 

2014-04-16 11:52 AM

User image

Miami
Originally posted by MechEChick

What about a middle option? I do them for fun and to try to better my times, but I also do them to compete. I may not make the podium, yet I do like chasing down other people and comparing my times to the other people at the race.

Agree, there should be a middle option. I try to podium at local and regional races, but if I place 4th or 5th and I gave everything I had, the race is not a failure at all.

2014-04-16 11:53 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by dmiller5
I race to win, but way to couch your question to make it seem bad to feel that way.

I don't see where I tried to make anyone feel bad about wanting to win. I asked the question pretty straightforward & then stated where I stand.

I know people who are very good, very fast, and very competitive & I think that's awesome. I'm not saying I'm not competitive, but I also know that I'm not running a half marathon at a 7:00 pace anytime soon. So for me, a podium spot isn't even on my horizon.
2014-04-16 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I said win, but it is more nuanced than that, but closer than just for fun and finishing....

I strive to be on the podium, but am usually 4th or 5th in my AG, so making it onto the podium is not my measure of success. I measure sucess by hitting or besting my goal pace times per event plus having good transitions and making good mental decisions. My actual place in my AG is too dependent on who else shows up that day plus my current conditioning, which I factor into my goals. The only way a race would be a complete failure for me is if I DNF.
2014-04-16 11:55 AM

User image

Pro

I used to race to win, then I came back and raced for fun.....then I thought I'd like to try to win again....then I thought better of it since it didn't seem worth all of the work it would have taken to get back to some fast times (and not as much fun).......now I just workout and watch my kids race.  I enjoy being around the sport, and I think there's room for everyone. 

Still, I think when my kids are grown a kayak and a fishing pole sounds more appealing.

2014-04-16 11:55 AM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by davidfedez
Originally posted by MechEChick

Agree, there should be a middle option. I try to podium at local and regional races, but if I place 4th or 5th and I gave everything I had, the race is not a failure at all.

Good point & if I could edit the poll, I would put a middle option of "I try for the podium every time, but if I miss it, hey, I still finished!"
2014-04-16 11:58 AM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Pro

"winning" and "fun" aren't mutually exclusive. 

I don't like when things get phrased this way - it makes it seem like that in order to be a FOP triathlete, you can't have fun. 

2014-04-16 12:00 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

I don't like when things get phrased this way - it makes it seem like that in order to be a FOP triathlete, you can't have fun. 

This answers your question meathead.

I race to win, but if I don't win that doesn't mean I failed. If I went out, gave it my all, and executed my race plan I succeeded. You can't control who shows up and what kind of day they have; you can control your own day.

2014-04-16 12:01 PM

For fun. 

I'm under no illusion that the main reason I podium is because a weak field shows up. Sure, you still can't be BBOP to podium even in a weak field, but go to a race that draws national-level AGers (and pros) and watch yourself get blown away in the timing. I still like the awards, but it really is all about who shows up. 

2014-04-16 12:01 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Pro

Funny, I always look at it the other way.....like "you know you aren't winning so are you just having fun?"

I agree it can/should be both......but for the poeple who win alot, it's not always as much fun as it seems.  They may love the sport, but fun can be elusive in hour 4 of a hard training day.

2014-04-16 12:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Conversely, it could be interpreted that if you're having fun, you're not trying to compete (with yourself or others). The wording was a bit slanted.

I race with the #1 priority of having fun. But at the same time I also focus on doing my best for that particular day and typically have a goal time to meet or beat.

Edited by lisac957 2014-04-16 12:16 PM
2014-04-16 12:17 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by Left Brain

Funny, I always look at it the other way.....like "you know you aren't winning so are you just having fun?"

I agree it can/should be both......but for the poeple who win alot, it's not always as much fun as it seems.  They may love the sport, but fun can be elusive in hour 4 of a hard training day.

I guess I go back to a conversation I had with a PGA Tour golfer a few years ago that lives here in Atlanta. He was very high in the rankings & money lists. I asked if, when he missed the cut at the Tour Championship (which is played in Atlanta) or at the Masters if he still went down to watch the final rounds given his proximity & access. He replied that if he's out, he is gone. He doesn't stick around because, for him, if he's not competing to win, it's not fun.

I know that doesn't apply to everyone, and I'm not implying that anyone here fits that line of thinking, but it's something I have heard more often than not from those who compete at the top of their class.

2014-04-16 12:20 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Meathead
Originally posted by Left Brain

I guess I go back to a conversation I had with a PGA Tour golfer a few years ago that lives here in Atlanta. He was very high in the rankings & money lists. I asked if, when he missed the cut at the Tour Championship (which is played in Atlanta) or at the Masters if he still went down to watch the final rounds given his proximity & access. He replied that if he's out, he is gone. He doesn't stick around because, for him, if he's not competing to win, it's not fun. I know that doesn't apply to everyone, and I'm not implying that anyone here fits that line of thinking, but it's something I have heard more often than not from those who compete at the top of their class.

Yep.  There are quite a few folks that win a lot who are driven to win.  Coming up short is not always fun for them.  Everything in life is a trade off, yeah?

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-16 12:20 PM
2014-04-16 12:25 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Oh jeez. I really suck. I don't do them to win or have fun.

I do them for the sense of accomplishment. I do them because it is rewarding to have a goal to work towards, and I like that in the case of tris, there is a direct relationship between how hard (and smart) you work and tge end result. Not everything in life is like that

2014-04-16 12:26 PM

User image

No other options?

I enjoy challenging myself but will hardly ever win unless there is very soft competition.

I also agree with others that "winning" and "fun" shouldn't be mutually exclusive-- if we aren't doing it for fun, winning or not, what's this for? Status? Money? Not many of us can make a living off of racing.
2014-04-16 12:27 PM

User image

Champion
MA

If most folks were out to win, fields would be much smaller.  When I start a race, I know I won't win and I suspect most other athletes know that as well.

I believe most triathlete have the goal of doing the best they can which can mean beating a previous time, or some other target other than winning.

2014-04-16 12:31 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Meathead

Title says it all. Are you into endurance sports & triathlons to win or are you into them for the simple satisfaction of completing a race? Clearly we all want to get better & push ourselves to do our best or we wouldn't be on BT, but are you competing against yourself & goals you set or are you competing against the field & going for a podium?

I say this because I occasionally see threads where speeds of people in my AG are mentioned as being just OK & I know that my speeds will never get that fast. I like to set personal goals & if I happen to work my way up the ranks, so be it, but for me, just finishing a race with a time that I deem to be good for myself is sufficient.

So what say you?

I think some additional options would be good... like are you internally or externally motivated? And are you process or outcome oriented?

Elite athletes are actually more process oriented...with good outcomes. I am process oriented but will never bet the fastest. I like to think I have a lot of things in common with elite athletes aside from the speed itself.

I actually don't even compete for fun or to win, I compete to see if I can perform my best and stay intact with my mental game and physical conditioning while pushing my limits. Sometimes when I do that...I get a podium spot and that's motivating as well, like last weekend (nevermind the small field)

it's an intricate question.

2014-04-16 12:34 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
It matters not how I place. If I cross the line, I win.
2014-04-16 12:36 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
I choose events that interest me. If I happen to do well, great. If not, I've at least chosen an event that interests me. Being a lousy, almost nonexistent swimmer, I could only come near the podium on a triathlon if (1) the fast people didn't race (2) it's a super-sprint, and I can make up the lost time on the bike and run. That's happened exactly once in all my triathlons.
2014-04-16 12:46 PM
in reply to: switch

Originally posted by switch

Oh jeez. I really suck. I don't do them to win or have fun.

I do them for the sense of accomplishment. I do them because it is rewarding to have a goal to work towards

This.

I'm doing this to do it. I'm not going to win because I completely lack anything approximating athletic prowess. If I fantasize about doing well, it's a fantasy of finishing somewhere in the middle, as opposed to the bottom 25%. I don't actually anticipate it being fun in the sense that I'm going to be grinning ear to ear. It could happen, but I doubt it.

Forgive me a digression: I knit. Two years ago, I decided to knit my first lace shawl. Knitting lace is difficult. A lot of knitters don't bother. It's thin yarn, small-to-medium needles, patterns can be devilishly intricate, they take weeks to complete (months, if it's something large), and one mistake can be devastating (losing anywhere from hours of work to the entire project). So I'm sitting on the couch, ripping out 20 rows of 500+ stitches for the fourth time, watching my very expensive yarn get more and more frayed. My husband asked me if I thought about taking up a more relaxing hobby, like juggling chainsaws? Heh. Nope.

It's not fun. But it's a challenge, and that represents a kind of reward that isn't quite fun, but something next door to it.

(tl;dr: see, Flow by Mihaly Csikzentsmihiyali)
2014-04-16 12:52 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
I wont win. Not with my desire to balance family life and work.

I race against my age group. So getting into the top 50% or 25% of my age group brings me immense satisfaction.

I am also racing against the 300lb lump of lard I used to be who could not tie his shoe laces without getting short of breath.

I am planning to train for triathlon and running so that I can do it well into my old age. a few podiums might be possible then when my AG only has 3 entries :-)

Edited by badmo77a 2014-04-16 12:52 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you do triathlons to win or do you do them for fun? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2096 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1647 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Doing tri's purely for the fun it.... Pages: 1 2

Started by SSMinnow
Views: 1680 Posts: 36

2007-10-21 8:38 AM KathyG

Who's doing their first triathlon this weekend? Pages: 1 2

Started by the bear
Views: 1547 Posts: 30

2004-08-20 9:38 PM Zilla

Anyone else doing the Seagate Pittsburgh Triathlon

Started by tortoise
Views: 843 Posts: 5

2004-07-12 9:53 AM tri tank
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"