General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you do triathlons to win or do you do them for fun? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

Do you do triathlons to win or do you do them for fun?
OptionResults
If I'm not on the podium, the race was a failure24 Votes - [21.05%]
WOO HOO! Another finisher's medal!90 Votes - [78.95%]

2014-04-16 12:52 PM
in reply to: runbugjones

Subject: RE: Do you do triathlons to win or do you do them for fun?
I enjoy the carnival of the event!

2014-04-16 1:06 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I race to win. If I'm not in a spot to win I'll just drop out. Still currently waiting to finish a race. 

2014-04-16 1:30 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Originally posted by thebigb

I race to win. If I'm not in a spot to win I'll just drop out. Still currently waiting to finish a race. 

LOL

2014-04-16 1:38 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
The only time I'm having fun is when I can see the look of despair on the middle age "try a tri'er" 's face when I crush him/her with my super serious equipment / matching kit / perfectly shaved legs / razor sharp tan lines.

2014-04-16 1:49 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by thebigb

LOL...I'm sure your day will come!
2014-04-16 2:07 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

The only time I'm having fun is when I can see the look of despair on the middle age "try a tri'er" 's face when I crush him/her with my super serious equipment / matching kit / perfectly shaved legs / razor sharp tan lines.

It's YOU!

2014-04-16 2:29 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by WebFootFreak It matters not how I place. If I cross the start line, I win.

Added for clarity.

There is no either/or about it. Yes, I race to win. "Win" can be defined in many different ways. For me, it's about AG ranking or relative to how I've done on the same course in years past (time-wise). Since my placing isn't always in my control (depends on who else shows up that day), I've never considered any race a failure because I didn't win. And it's still fun. Heck, if it wasn't any fun, I wouldn't do it at all.

2014-04-16 3:26 PM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Originally posted by Meathead

Originally posted by davidfedez
Originally posted by MechEChick
What about a middle option? I do them for fun and to try to better my times, but I also do them to compete. I may not make the podium, yet I do like chasing down other people and comparing my times to the other people at the race.

Agree, there should be a middle option. I try to podium at local and regional races, but if I place 4th or 5th and I gave everything I had, the race is not a failure at all.

Good point & if I could edit the poll, I would put a middle option of "I try for the podium every time, but if I miss it, hey, I still finished!"

I'd be in the middle option also. Competing is fun. Medaling is icing on the cake.
2014-04-16 3:28 PM

User image

For me it's a mixture of fun, trying to compete against others, and trying to compete against myself.  

2014-04-16 5:57 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Just competing is a great experience! Just challenge myself to get better every race and also increase distance... That being said.. It would be awesome to podium at least one race... Maybe one day!!
2014-04-16 6:19 PM
in reply to: #4982512

User image

New user
Sylvania
I do them mostly to have a goal to train for. I can procrastinate with the best of them. However, if there is a race coming up then I stay motivated because I do like win even though it never happens.

2014-04-16 6:48 PM
in reply to: glayher

User image

I musta missed the "so I can eat ice cream" choice.......

2014-04-16 7:01 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Train for fun. Okay, I have a warped idea of fun, but whatever. Most sedentary people would call me crazy, or hyperactive, but I love being outdoors (preferably) and doing physically challenging things, and always have. I don't enjoy more sedentary hobbies unless I'm already pretty tired out. Maybe I will when I'm 90, or maybe not! I race to do as well as I can on that particular day, It's great if that results in a win (usually AG, a few times OA in a small race) or podium, but unless you're a force of nature like Chrissy or Rinny, that usually depends not only on your own race but on who shows up and what kind of day they have. At the end of the day, I'm happy if I gave my best effort in each event, and didn't do anything stupid like screwing up a transition and losing several places as a result. I lead a pretty routine life aside from races and I like the chance to (often) travel out of Vietnam, do some shopping, eat different foods, and spend time with friends if they're racing, too.
2014-04-16 7:26 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by Leegoocrap The only time I'm having fun is when I can see the look of despair on the middle age "try a tri'er" 's face when I crush him/her with my super serious equipment / matching kit / perfectly shaved legs / razor sharp tan lines.

this right here. i even wax my bike the night before a race for extra effect. 

2014-04-16 7:27 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Originally posted by Jason N

For me it's a mixture of fun, trying to compete against others, and trying to compete against myself.  

This is a simple explanation that is accurate for myself as well.

2014-04-16 7:34 PM

User image

Originally posted by Leegoocrap The only time I'm having fun is when I can see the look of despair on the middle age "try a tri'er" 's face when I crush him/her with my super serious equipment / matching kit / perfectly shaved legs / razor sharp tan lines.

I thought it was more like drinking salty tears, smashing flowers, and banishing rainbows???

2014-04-16 7:36 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by Jason N

I thought it was more like drinking salty tears, smashing flowers, and banishing rainbows???

Soul Crushing is more of a curse than a blessing... so much to keep up with...
2014-04-16 7:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

I was so upset when Craig Alexander showed up for 2011 IM CDA and took away my hope of winning.

I was only 10 minutes behind him, too.  After the first 1.2 Miles of the swim.

Come on, there is only one IM each year.  The winner of Kona.  The only true Ironman.  Everyone else is just finishing.

Edited by pga_mike 2014-04-16 7:56 PM
2014-04-16 8:17 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Title says it all. Are you into endurance sports & triathlons to win or are you into them for the simple satisfaction of completing a race? Clearly we all want to get better & push ourselves to do our best or we wouldn't be on BT, but are you competing against yourself & goals you set or are you competing against the field & going for a podium?

I say this because I occasionally see threads where speeds of people in my AG are mentioned as being just OK & I know that my speeds will never get that fast. I like to set personal goals & if I happen to work my way up the ranks, so be it, but for me, just finishing a race with a time that I deem to be good for myself is sufficient.

So what say you?

Back when I was swimming, my time was the only thing that mattered except for three events - Long and Short Course National Championships and the Olympic Games.  At those events, the only thing that mattered was a podium finish.

Now, I suppose it isn't really that much different.  Day to day, event to event, my race is with myself and the clock.  If I set a PR, then I have won.  If I happen to podium, then so much the better.  However, there are still a couple races a year when there is an opportunity to qualify for Kona where my time doesn't matter so much - in those races is it all about AG position and earning that KQ spot.  Even at those races though, if I have left everything on the course, then I have won.

I suppose at the end of the day, it comes down to how you define "Win."

2014-04-16 9:18 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by k9car363

Title says it all. Are you into endurance sports & triathlons to win or are you into them for the simple satisfaction of completing a race? Clearly we all want to get better & push ourselves to do our best or we wouldn't be on BT, but are you competing against yourself & goals you set or are you competing against the field & going for a podium?

I say this because I occasionally see threads where speeds of people in my AG are mentioned as being just OK & I know that my speeds will never get that fast. I like to set personal goals & if I happen to work my way up the ranks, so be it, but for me, just finishing a race with a time that I deem to be good for myself is sufficient.

So what say you?

Back when I was swimming, my time was the only thing that mattered except for three events - Long and Short Course National Championships and the Olympic Games.  At those events, the only thing that mattered was a podium finish.

Now, I suppose it isn't really that much different.  Day to day, event to event, my race is with myself and the clock.  If I set a PR, then I have won.  If I happen to podium, then so much the better.  However, there are still a couple races a year when there is an opportunity to qualify for Kona where my time doesn't matter so much - in those races is it all about AG position and earning that KQ spot.  Even at those races though, if I have left everything on the course, then I have won.

I suppose at the end of the day, it comes down to how you define "Win."

"Win" really only has one definition in a race......and I know you know that.  As a society we have, at some point, decided that we can all be winners....but that's not really true in the context of a race.  There is only one.

I know the definition is generational now......but I prefer the definition we use in my generation.  You can be successful and measure your success in your own way.......but only one person wins a race, that's the deal.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-16 9:30 PM
2014-04-16 10:04 PM
in reply to: #4982512

Right now for fun. Last year was my first season and I was no where near placing. Ended the season with 70.3. Then randomly signed up for a mountain bike duathlon (which I don't do) and placed! I darn sure liked that! So now as I train for an IM this year am curious how I do and if I get close to placing in local sprints, then the fun will be more about that.

2014-04-16 10:16 PM
in reply to: gatorcali21

User image

Master
I like to win. I rarely do, but I will try to pick people off in a race hoping I finish closer to the top than the bottom.
2014-04-16 10:30 PM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska

I race for fun and if I happen to podium then it's even more fun - like a surprise party!

I, like so many others, have work and family that comes before training, so clearly I'm not in it to win.  It's more about giving me a drive to workout, eat healthy, and stay off the couch and out of the Dr's office.  Of course I certainly still compare how I did to everyone else, as I don't want to be the back of the pack.  But if I were  BOP it would just give me more drive to try and not skip my workouts, which I notoriously do - that snooze alarm is just too easy.

Edited by crissy_jo 2014-04-16 10:31 PM
2014-04-16 10:34 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Veteran
Calgary
I race and train for fun. Although fun isn't really the right word.

I like to compete. In larger races I'm hoping for a personal best but I'm not particularly disappointed if I don't achieve this.
In smaller races I'm hoping to podium, but again I'm not crushed if I don't achieve this.
I like to push myself. I simultaneously crave and dread situations where circumstances test my limits. Compared to elites or even other athletes that just happen to be tougher than me I suspect that I'm barely scratching the surface of the pain cave. And I'm okay with this.

I can appreciate explanations involving goals and a sense of accomplishment but they don't really resonate with me. These are too intellectual and my reasons feel more visceral.

I hear people say they train because they like to eat and I wonder if they're serious. I understand that eating without gaining weight is a nice bonus - but does it work over the long term as anybody's primary motivation? Is it really possible to "work out" every day if there is not some part of you that craves activity for its own sake? And I'm suspicious of the idea of "working out". It sounds like a term for something I should do because it's good for me, and I'm not very good at doing what's good for me. I believe that people that like to "play" a game or that "train" to compete are more likely to stick with whatever sport they're involved in. My reasons for playing and competing involve compulsions that are hard to put into words but I feel blessed that they're part of me.

What was the question again?
Don
2014-04-16 10:34 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska

Originally posted by Clempson

this right here. i even wax my bike the night before a race for extra effect. 

I thought it was scientifically proven a dirty bike is faster than a clean and waxed bike.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you do triathlons to win or do you do them for fun? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2099 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1653 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Doing tri's purely for the fun it.... Pages: 1 2

Started by SSMinnow
Views: 1681 Posts: 36

2007-10-21 8:38 AM KathyG

Who's doing their first triathlon this weekend? Pages: 1 2

Started by the bear
Views: 1549 Posts: 30

2004-08-20 9:38 PM Zilla

Anyone else doing the Seagate Pittsburgh Triathlon

Started by tortoise
Views: 843 Posts: 5

2004-07-12 9:53 AM tri tank
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"