Team Rocket TRI-Club, Fleet Feet HSV
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 33s
Overall Rank = 134/183
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 5/10
Pre-race routine:

The "32.6 Challenge" was the great idea of race directors of the Heel and Crank Duathlon and Bridgestreet 13.1 which happen on the same weekend. Simply really to get more participants offer a cool beer mug for those that do both. So this is a combined report for both events that happened a day a part.

HC- I ate a bagel, a bottle of water and a bottle of Hammer Perpetuem.

BS- Same routine as above. . .
Event warmup:

HC- I arrived an hour early and found a great spot in the transition area. As this was my 1st multi-sport event I was a little nervous about violating space protocal but was right next to a awesome lady who I shared my yoga mat with to keep our gear from getting morning dew on it. As I was walking out of the transition to get my timing chip I smelled this awesome breakfeast cooking smell. I look over and some of the volenteers were making homemade pancakes for us racers. Great touch... I was already prepped to race so I did not get any but my mouth was watering. I then did a short run, strectched, and talked with some of my TRI-201 classmates. One more thing for HC, they had a trumpeter doing the national athem, half way through all us racers and crowd stated singing to inish it off. I thought that was another added touch although totally spur of the moment.

BS- As the start was at the Brigestreet Town center I knew there would be plenty of parking so I did not show up until 30mins prior. Again I chatted with my TRI-201 classmates who were either pacers or doubling down for the beer mug like me. Admittedly I was stiff and sore from racing the day before so I was just out to complete the run and planned to in my applicable HR Zone. This was the inaugural event for this 13.1 and everyone was talking about what a cool venue it was.

Run
  • 26m 56s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

All the coaches in my TRI class told us don't blow up the 1st run. So what did I do I went and PR the 1st run by over a min. I got caught up in the moment. But felt good. . .
What would you do differently?:

Run a little slower on the front end of this race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

I felt good in transition. . . I did not forget anything and got on to the bike fine.

I need to get speed laces for my running shoes.
Bike
  • 43m 29s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 18.63 mile/hr
Comments:

2mi's in I looked down to a cycle computer reading 0. Looked further down to see my spoke sensor had slide down to my rim. Oh well go be feel and HR for the reast of the ride. . .

Spend more time on my bike. Finally get some aero clip on bars.

Do a double check on bike maint...
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Even though I had been spinning high rpm at the end of the ride I still had rubber legs. Addtionally I was running with my hand on the bike stem and knocked my computer off and had to stop and pick it up.

Do more bricks in training, speed laces on running shoes, and stand up more on the end of my ride.
Run
  • 31m 5s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt like rubber until the 1.5mi mark. Then I was able to start going again. But it was to late to hang with or catch 3rd and 4th in my group.

HC - Practice more brick training. . .

BS - As I was sore from the HC I took the next day 13.1 as a training run and just stayed in 125-135 HR range. The run was awesome and the course outstanding. Probably the flatest of 3 13.1's I've run. If I was fresh I would have tried to PR on this course. It was a little warmer than HC the day before but had plenty of aid stations. I would not do anything different.

Post race
Warm down:

HC - I walked around with my family and enjoyed the post event live music and tons of food. I've been to much bigger events that were less supported than this one. Plenty of post race food available, pizzia, cookies, fruit, etc.

BS - Again walked around and enjoyed the post race party with family. This was again a well supported event. Plenty of food and swag being handed out. I grabbed a Ice Cream sandwich for post run snack. . . And then collected my hard earned 32.6 beer mug.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Better shape...

Event comments:

The "32.6 Challenge" was the great idea of race directors of the Heel and Crank Duathlon and Bridgestreet 13.1 which happen on the same weekend. Simply really to get more participants offer a cool beer mug for those that do both.

This was my 3rd 13.1 and the best course and post race party. Addtionally, this was my 1st multi-sport event and all I can say is I'm hooked. Both were just awesome. .

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-04-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:56 | 03 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 0/183
Performance: Good
145-150
Course: This was an out and back to the transition area route. About 100-200 yds of it was on pavement the rest was on car-wide trail along a lake. Awesome course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:43:29 | 13.5 miles | 18.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/10
Keep my HR 140-150
Wind: None
Course: This was an awesome and fast course with only few rolling hills on it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: UNK
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:05 | 03 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/10
145-150
Course: Same out and back as above.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-04-16 12:42 PM

Subject: 32.6 Challenge
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 32.6 Challenge Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Charities Challenge - Challenge Arthritis

Started by hikergerb
Views: 1261 Posts: 5

2007-09-02 3:18 PM tnickerson

Charities Challenge: Challenge Obesity 5K

Started by BigGirlTri-ing
Views: 1247 Posts: 4

2007-04-13 5:08 PM runnergirl

Springfield Urban Challenge and Family Challenge

Started by run joe run
Views: 918 Posts: 1

2006-10-07 5:24 PM run joe run

Charities Challenge - Challenge Arthritis

Started by hikergerb
Views: 1094 Posts: 6

2006-09-03 10:14 PM KathyG

Charities Challenge: Challenge Obesity 5K

Started by hikergerb
Views: 1360 Posts: 1

2006-04-01 2:17 PM hikergerb
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
comments : 0
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.

date : November 28, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : January 7, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 4
We were all there once, a beginner. Time to take the challenge and help a beginner triathlete!

date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.
date : November 27, 2005
author : AMSSM
Try to view your injury as another athletic challenge and an opportunity for personal learning and growth. Identify the skills that help you succeed as an athlete.

date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.