World Triathlon Corporation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 58m 37s
Overall Rank = 126/1259
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 13/170
Pre-race routine:

Woke up on my own around 4am. Filled bottles with water and Perform and headed out a little before 5am. I ate two Honey Stinger waffles and a banana on the drive (no microwave access for my usual oatmeal) and drank 24oz of Perform. I ate a Hammer gel and a Saltstick tablet around 630am.
Event warmup:

Just some stretching and the usual arm circles.
Swim
  • 36m 17s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was about what I expected. Murky water with a gasoline taste/smell, and a slightly confusing course. However, sighting was not really a problem except for some issues finding the yellow buoy after the first turn, looking back into the marina. I caught myself swimming crooked twice, but overall it was uneventful. Starting swimmers 6 at a time helped, a sthe wait was not too long and there was virtually no contact. I swam in my Tyr swim sleeves for the first time and had no issues. I wouldn't know what my swim time was until the race was over, but this was an average time for me and I can't complain.
What would you do differently?:

Swim straighter, swallow no water (I helped myself to a mouthful or two...nasty)
Transition 1
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

It's a fairly long run from swim exit to transition, but it was uneventful. I used a wet suit stripper and she was very efficient. I wear socks so I always lose a bit of time getting those on. I also put on my race belt as I had read it was mandatory for this race. My rack spot was fairly close to bike out, which was nice.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 32m 28s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.04 mile/hr
Comments:

The MC announced winds wouldn't be a factor, but I had seen the forecast for SE winds @ 15mph and knew better. It figured to be mostly a cross/headwind out and a cross/tailwind back, but it didn't seem that way as I felt I fought the wind as much coming back as I did going out. So the relief I expected in the 2nd half never came, and I ended up with a higher avg HR than planned or desired (I don't have a PM yet). I felt strong on the bike and it was a PR for me by a fair amount, but with the heat and sun I feared it would make for a difficult run.

I didn't stop at aid stations. I took in about 40-44oz of Perform, most of a flask of EFS Liquid Shot and 3 Saltstick tablets.

The roads were closed to traffic, which was great. Road conditions are quite decent except for the occasional expansion joints. I saw no draft packs and only a few individual drafters. I saw no race officials at all.

I thought I might have over-biked, but in hindsight I can't say I would change anything.
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Except for running past my rack spot by about 10 feet, T2 was uneventful. Shoes, hat, watch and hand bottle on and I was off.

Pay closer attention to where my rack spot was in the row.
Run
  • 1h 44m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

The run is mostly flat, except for one bridge and a few overpass-like "hills". There is very little shade, and the sun was fairly brutal (my Garmin said 84 degrees at the end of the bike). The first 7-8 miles is along the lake. The run course was changed this year due to the festival, so it ended at City Park. Due to the heat, I raced with a hand bottle for the first timer ever, filled with cold Perform. I got tired of it being on my hand, but I definitely liked having access to mostly cold liquids whenever I needed them.

This was my 3rd 70.3 and I will probably never get used to the feel of that first mile, where I feel like I'm barely moving but am actually running a low 7:00 (too fast). I then settled into a more reasonable pace and held it for longer than I expected. I poured ice water on my head and back at each aid station, and also filled my hand bottle up as necessary. I struggled a bit between miles 8-11, but found a second wind for the last 2 miles. I had targeted a 1:40 but knew mid-way through the run that wasn't happening. I had no idea what my swim time was and I thought I had lost my goal of a sub 5:00, but still knew I was having a decent race, all things considered. I saw my wife and son about 50 yards from the finish and that made me very happy.

Outside of the Perform, I took in no calories on the run. I intentionally left my 2nd EFS Liquid Shot flask in T2 as I could tell I wouldn't want it.

I still need to work on my run pacing at this distance, as I start off too fast and end up too slow.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a ton of water as I could tell I was a bit dehydrated (had not peed since before the start). Found my family, ate some food, but then caught the bus back fairly quickly to get back to family vacation time in the French Quarter.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I can probably nit-pick, but this was a PR for me so I am really very satisfied.

Event comments:

The swim isn't great (nasty water), but the marina swim works and they seem to have fixed the swim cancellation problem. The bike and run courses are fine, and the volunteers and support were great. This race suffers most from its logistics. Registration is nowhere near transition (and bike drop-off), and the race does not finish at transition.

But I love New Orleans and would do this race again.

Unrelated to the race, but I can't say enough good things about Bullfrog Water Armor Sport gel-based sunscreen. I applied one layer at around 615am, and did not burn at all, after all those hours in the sun.

Last updated: 2014-04-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:17 | 2112 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 42/170
Overall: 408/1259
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: "M" shaped swim in a marina
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:32:28 | 56 miles | 22.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/170
Overall: 129/1259
Performance: Good
150bpm
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: 1 loop, mostly flat
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:44:16 | 13.1 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/170
Overall: 147/1259
Performance: Good
158bpm
Course: Point to point run, mostly flat, limited shade
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-04-16 4:58 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Ironman 70.3 New Orleans

2014-04-17 6:33 PM
in reply to: #4982750

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 New Orleans

Sub 5, Great job!    Really sucked to do that 180 on the bike and get smacked in the face with that wind. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 New Orleans Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans

Started by sesh
Views: 6446 Posts: 21

2009-04-10 5:54 PM draykus

Started by Trail_Runner
Views: 3072 Posts: 12

2009-04-07 2:31 PM Trail_Runner

Started by aplohris
Views: 2299 Posts: 5

2009-04-07 4:20 PM LazyMarathoner

Started by aintaround
Views: 1680 Posts: 1

2009-04-06 1:57 PM aintaround

Started by mammatri's
Views: 3212 Posts: 13

2009-04-09 9:11 AM mammatri's
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.