Life Time Fitness
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 48m 47s
Overall Rank = 106/216
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 19/34
Pre-race routine:

Got to sleep the night before around 9:30. Slept okay, but was woken up a few times by the family as they settled in. My wife, only got a few hours of sleep, which made her day kinda rough. We were both awake around 4:20. I showered, lathered up, and wiggled into my Tribe Multisport racing kit. Ate two pieces of toast with peanut butter and honey, plus one cup of coffee. We were out the door right on time at 5:00, and arrived at Tempe Town Lake around 5:30. This left me plenty of time to set up my transition, apply sun screen, get the wet suit on, and stand around for about 20 minutes.
Event warmup:

No real warmup. Just loosened up the arms, and took a Roctane GU about 15 minutes prior to swim.
Swim
  • 51m 43s
  • 2500 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

I did an open water swim the Thursday before. So, I knew what to expect temperature wise. All my swim workouts leading up to the event I thought I had mastered bilateral breathing. On the Thursday swim, bilateral breathing lasted about 200m, and then I reverted to breathing on the right. So, going into this swim, I knew that it would probably be the same...and it was. I was able to get in a few stretches of bilateral breathing. I'm thinking it's just my mind screwing with me, as I know I can do it, but during the pressure of the race, I just felt short of breath.
The swim overall went pretty good. Time was pretty much right where I expected, maybe just a few seconds slower than I wanted, but acceptable. Sighting was tough on the outbound leg, as the sun was directly head on. Couldn't really see the buoys until we were pretty much right on them. On the way back was much easier. My line was good with the exception of the turn around. Found myself cutting the corner, and had to do about a 90 degree correction. The Garmin shows a pretty steady line.
What would you do differently?:

Keep working on the bilateral breathing and overcoming my mind screwing with me. Could probably put forth more effort, but wanted to conserve energy for the bike.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Wet suit strippers were right on the task. Wetsuit came off really quick. Run to the bike was not too long. Got my helmet and socks on and grabbed the bike. Trotted to the mount up line, and mounted the bike in one smooth motion. Was on the course pretty quickly and got up to speed. Got into the shoes without any issue. Glad I practiced that.

Nothing. This went as planned
Bike
  • 3h 36m 57s
  • 109.5 kms
  • 30.28 km/hr
Comments:

My nutrition plan on the bike was to start taking my first Honey Stinger waffle at 00:15 into the ride. I had broken the waffle up into 8 pieces, and wanted to take in a few pieces every 15 minutes. Hydration was two bottles of Skratch, and one bottle of Heed. After the second intake of the waffles, my stomach started feeling like there was a large rock in it. Tried to tough it out, and ate about a waffle and a half. At about one hour on the bike, I decided that the stomach wasn't improving on the waffles. So, I went to plan B. I had two Honey Stinger gels. I took one at 1:15, and the second at 2:00. I did take one on course Cliff Gel at about 2:45. Was nervous about that, as I hadn't trained with that brand and didn't know how my stomach would react. The rest of the bike, the stomach settled down, but occasionally reminded me that it wasn't happy.
Performance on the bike was good for the first three laps. I kept my cadence and HR in my targeted zones, with the exception of some of the hills. I did drop my chain once during my second lap on one of the hills. Gotta remember to not get ahead of myself and try to force the gear changes. The last lap seemed more a test of my patience. I was ready to get off the bike at around mile 50. Toughed it out, and was pleased with my time.

Train with the on course gels to make sure my system can handle it. I did a number of training rides with the waffles, so not sure why I have these stomach issues on race day. Maybe need to wait another 15 minutes before taking in any nutrition to let my stomach settle from the swim.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Dismount was a little funky. I did get out of the shoes with no issue, but had not really practiced the actual moving dismount. Did it okay without stumbling or tripping. Run to rack was easy. Got the shoes on quickly. Grabbed my visor, number, and nutrition, and quickly headed on out.

Work on moving dismount
Run
  • 1h 17m 6s
  • 13 kms
  • 05m 56s  min/km
Comments:

Run felt a little slow, and it took me about a half mile to really get my legs feeling normal. First mile was at 8:15, which is slightly faster than I want to be at that point. Little did I know what was ahead...Hilly trail running for the next couple of miles. This portion really kicked my butt, but the positive is that I never stopped churning, just kept on running short little strides up the hill, with recovery on the way down. Walked through all the aid stations, and took on a few sips of water, while pouring one over my head. I did grab a cup of ice a few times to hold in my hands or put down my race kit. Was hot out there, but never really felt uncomfortable. When I hit the last mile, I was right behind someone in my age group. That was enough motivation for me to put on a little extra effort to cruise past him with about a half mile to go. Coming up on the finish was very satisfying

Include hill work in my training plan
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for about 10 minutes, drank some water, and ate some oranges. Found my wife and friends, then hung out at the Tribe Multisport tent. I did have to lay down for about 10-15 minutes. After all my races, as soon as I stop moving, the extremities start to get all tingly. Laying down and just cooling off seems to solve that problem.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hill training on both the bike and the run.

Event comments:

Big shout out to all the volunteers, especially those out on the run course. I know it was welcome sight to see you guys out in the middle of the desert.

Overall, this was a long and tough course. I'm glad I put the amount of training into this one, because I needed it. Post race, it was really easy to focus on all the negatives, but when I look back on it, I'm pretty proud of my accomplishments.

Last updated: 2014-04-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:51:43 | 2500 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/216
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Body
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:36:57 | 109.5 kms | 30.28 km/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 4 lap course with multiple turns and 4 U-turns per lap
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:17:06 | 13 kms | 05m 56s  min/km
Performance:
Course: First mile was flat. Next 2-3 miles was hilly trail running. 3 miles of flat running along a canal, then a repeat of the hilly trail, finished with about 1.5 miles of flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-04-16 10:54 PM

User image

Subject: Leadman Tri Marquee Epic 125
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Leadman Tri Marquee Epic 125 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Leadman Tri Marquee Epic 125

Started by tomspharmacy
Views: 1120 Posts: 3

2014-04-16 9:49 PM atcjammo

Leadman Tri Marquee Epic 125

Started by aargenz1
Views: 675 Posts: 2

2014-04-14 9:00 AM Fitzy

LeadmanTri Marquee Epic 125

Started by tomspharmacy
Views: 1516 Posts: 8

2013-04-17 8:50 AM BHannahs

Started by runspingirl
Views: 1351 Posts: 7

2013-04-16 11:35 AM 101abp40

Started by PHXATC
Views: 996 Posts: 6

2013-04-16 11:31 AM 101abp40
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
comments : 0
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.