General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gear Priority List Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-17 9:20 AM

User image

Subject: Gear Priority List
Hey all,
Just for fun I thought I would share my "gear list" with you all, in the order I purchased stuff. I am curious to hear from veterans on what they would have done differently ("you bought what?!" "you bought this before that?!") , or things I should add to my wish list.

As a side note - I started this adventure with some old running shoes, a swimsuit, and a Trek 7000 hybrid. The very first thing I wanted to do was go buy a used road bike, but my wife put the kibosh on that until I at least finished my first tri.

My purchase list - in order:
-New running shoes
-New digital watch
-Gym membership (I gotta swim somewhere!)
-Random workout clothes (some shorts and dry-fit shirt)
-Clipless pedals & shoes (figure I can transfer these to a new bike later)
-Bar ends for the Trek
-Tri-Suit

Wish List:
-Wet-suit (my first tri is only a 500m swim. Yes I'll be a little slower & colder, but I figure I will put up the $ after this event)
-Used road bike

So what am I leaving off? What do other newbies lists look like? What is on the veterans' "wish list"? Keep in mind I am not planning on winning anything - but like to be relatively competitive.

2014-04-17 1:50 PM
in reply to: Mind the Fro

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Gear Priority List

bungie laces for the running shoes  $5 will save you from having to tie your shoes in T1.  

Race Belt ($5-$10) to hold your number- you put it on in T1.

I assume you already have a bike helmet?  cycling gloves?  socks?

but, you've got a good starting list.  Triathlon is a very equipment intensive sport.  There's always something new to get.

A GPS watch with a HR monitor would be a useful addition.  The garmin 310xt is a bit bulky and ugly- but it has a lot of features for the price these days.  ($160)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gear Priority List Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Gear priorities

Started by neweyes
Views: 589 Posts: 1

2010-07-17 11:25 AM neweyes

Tri Bike Gearing vs. Mountain Bike Gearing

Started by Mrdaner
Views: 868 Posts: 3

2009-08-18 2:22 PM Tim_H

List of Tri Gear - what order to buy?

Started by yogus
Views: 1236 Posts: 12

2008-03-20 6:21 AM yogus

Make a List - and check it twice

Started by olddskool
Views: 688 Posts: 7

2005-08-10 4:14 PM trimom3

A Book for your Christmas List

Started by tech_geezer
Views: 1869 Posts: 8

2004-12-02 7:54 AM gsmacleod
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : mcinTri2010
comments : 10
It has been a bucket list item for years...something to do before I'm 25. Okay, maybe I'll push that to 30. Okay, maybe I'll let it go altogether.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mscotthall
comments : 5
I have compiled a list of the eleven most important things, in my opinion, that I have learned in my first three months as a triathlete and a BT member. Hopefully you find this useful.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 5
As race day apporaches anxiety builds. Don't let packing add to that list of worries. Part 1 is a checklist compiled by many that I have used on race day.