General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much financial Impact does HIM have on the local community. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-17 9:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: How much financial Impact does HIM have on the local community.

Just back from the San Juan HIM and had a blast not my best race but those days happen. We spent a lot of time in Old San Juan which is about a mile from the host hotels. My wife and I were really surprised how we did not see many people from the race at the local restaurants and wandering around town. So we were wondering why and also how much of the local economy gets effected outside of the hotels that are hosting the event. It seems that most of the participants basically stayed in the hotel and never went out.

As a side note I went from the fattest guy in the hotel over the weekend to the skinniest guy in the hotel by Tuesday.

2014-04-17 10:34 AM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: How much financial Impact does HIM have on the local community.
it depends on who you ask

If you are trying to get the community to allow you to host an event then you will use numbers that show how much of a positive impact the event will have
there is a view that it may also hurt a community as the people who live there decide not to venture out at all because of the thought that they will be overcrowded by the people that are in town for the event

There is a sports economist that wrote a book about how hosting the super bowl is actually a negative impact on the community that is hosting the event.
2014-04-17 11:23 AM

User image

Likely depends  on how many people are actually traveling to the race as a destination.  There are many races that are held with the main purpose of attracting the local community or people within driving distance.  Those people are far less likely to shop or spend as much on meals.  Then you have destination races like Whistler, Kona, Vegas 70.3 (last year), MT 70.3 (this year), etc that people consider more of a destination race.  They travel with the intention of spending money rather than with the intention of going in just to race and leaving.

2014-04-17 11:23 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

HIM, not sure, but there are a lot of articles on the economic impact of full Ironman races:

Coeur D'Alene - $10 million

Canada - $17 million

Chattanooga - $8 million (estimated)

Texas - $16 million

Tahoe - $8-15 million (estimated)

Perhaps San Juan was a different atmosphere - every HIM and IM I've attended it is rare to NOT see hordes of people with their bracelets and race shirts surrounding you at all times in hotels, restaurants, shops, etc.

2014-04-17 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by BuckHamilton

Just back from the San Juan HIM and had a blast not my best race but those days happen. We spent a lot of time in Old San Juan which is about a mile from the host hotels. My wife and I were really surprised how we did not see many people from the race at the local restaurants and wandering around town. So we were wondering why and also how much of the local economy gets effected outside of the hotels that are hosting the event. It seems that most of the participants basically stayed in the hotel and never went out.

As a side note I went from the fattest guy in the hotel over the weekend to the skinniest guy in the hotel by Tuesday.

Lots of places to go in San Juan, especially when it is a destination race. When I go to a destination race, its more of a vacation and I don't want to put myself in the usual IM crowd that I get everywhere else. Yes I am doing a race and I want to be rested and prepared, but really I want to go a bit outside the box on travels.
2014-04-17 1:18 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Extreme Veteran
might be because San Juan is a pretty big city to host a Event and there where lots of other things going on in town not like some races I have been to where that's the big thing going on in town

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much financial Impact does HIM have on the local community. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

No pool for week, impact to training program

Started by randym
Views: 811 Posts: 9

2008-03-27 8:54 AM Renee

Low/No Impact running in the pool...

Started by swishyskirt
Views: 718 Posts: 3

2008-03-25 1:38 PM sdbryant

DC Locals - Local triathlete to be profiled on NBC4 tonight

Started by BodyCheck
Views: 1260 Posts: 5