General Discussion Triathlon Talk » trisuit with long or shortsleeves. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-17 10:45 AM

Subject: trisuit with long or shortsleeves.
Hi everyone!

I have been searching for a trisuit with short sleeves or longsleeves but couldn't find one. Some of the shortsleeves are for men. The reason why I am finding a trisuit with sleeves is because I wear a hijab, so would like to cover my sleeves. I found about arm coolers but not really sure if it is legal in events like the ironman? Also, will arm coolers work for swimming or are there any other ways that I can do to have that sleeves for a trisuit?

Need your help!

2014-04-17 5:38 PM
in reply to: fsbaharu

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: trisuit with long or shortsleeves.

Hmmm.  not an easy problem.  The Pearl Izumi Octane trisuit has short sleeves, onto which you can add arm warmers (or- skin cooler fabric ones).  but, not sure they make the Octane for women- so it may depend on your body type.

I'd suggest, that instead of looking for a long sleeved tri top, which probably doesn't exist.  go right to long sleeved compression shirts and/or swim shirts.  There are plenty of those on the market.  some of which will be better in the water than others.  

Next option I can think of- would be to find a cycling speed suit with long sleeves.  (Castelli's Body paint comes to mind).  You might need to actually remove the pad, as it probably won't be comfortable when wet.  Not cheap- but seriously stylin'.  

2014-04-17 6:02 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
^ Just fwiw, there's no way you could swim in a body paint...or any (correctly) fitting cycling skinsuit for that matter.

otherwise, +1 with the above.
2014-04-20 6:59 PM
in reply to: fsbaharu

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think a compression top (or tight-fitting swim shirt) would be the best bet. I've swum in them (for sun protection) and it's certainly doable; they can go under a wetsuit if needed. Not sure what the bottom would look like or what your requirements are. Maybe cycling tights with some kind of run skirt that you could pull on in transition?? There are certainly hijab-type swimsuits out there; I often compete in Singapore races and I've seen a few Malaysian women do tris in hijab, but I have a feeling they are either buying products available locally or getting their tri kit custom made, maybe as part of a club order. I remember one woman telling me she only did sprints, because the outfit she did have was too hot--she and her husband were trying to figure out how to get some of the newer cooling tech fabrics (such as 2XU's Ice-X or Pearl Izumi Innr Cool) made into a suitable outfit for her. May or may not be an issue with you depending on climate.

As far as I know, you can have arm coolers on for the swim. (Though you should check with the rules and race organizers.) They certainly wouldn't be a performance aid. Might have difficulties getting a wetsuit off, though, as they can get bunched up, esp. when putting on/removing the suit. Another thought--look into some of the products made for sun-sensitive people--you might find something that meets your needs. Or contact Yanti (Tri Aya) on this forum--she's from Indonesia, runs a tri club, and might have some ideas.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » trisuit with long or shortsleeves. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Zoot Long Tri Top Womens..How long?

Started by bboston88
Views: 1150 Posts: 7

2008-05-17 7:06 PM bboston88

Women's Trisuit-- 1 piece or 2?

Started by sulis
Views: 1350 Posts: 11

2004-12-29 8:30 AM sulis

Life Expectancy of a Trisuit

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 897 Posts: 5

2004-10-20 1:25 PM triman50

Speedo Trisuit

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 949 Posts: 1

2004-10-19 9:57 AM gsmacleod

ORCA Ti3 trisuit

Started by Sirvelo
Views: 991 Posts: 2

2005-06-10 11:44 AM TriTEC
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 0
The Elite wetsuit was redesigned four times before going to the market in order to maximize its benefits. Does all this speed come at the expense of comfort? I had to find out.
date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : January 30, 2006
author : amandacmuller
In all of my tri-clothing research, I could never find a trisuit that would offer support where I needed it. I found that my choices were limited.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Iron MaYden
JAM! Trisuits is touted to be a trisuit for women, by women, and offering “more upper body support than what has been traditionally available in one piece trisuits”.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.
date : May 15, 2005
Approximately how long do you think can I reasonably expect to keep making these improvements in speed and performance? I know it has to drop off sometime, I'd just like to have an idea of when.

date : April 17, 2005
My question is on nutrition in a long race. Most intake will occur on the bike, but I'm curious as to the details. I didn't do real well in this area last year and really need to improve.