General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Irritation from HR Strap? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-17 11:12 AM

User image

Ledyard, CT
Subject: Irritation from HR Strap?
Just wondering if anyone has experienced this issue, and what you've done to combat it...

This is my first season training with a HR strap. I'm using a Garmin soft strap and have been developing an irritation below where the strap sits. Just to be clear, it's not the skin directly underneath where the strap is, the irritation is about half an inch to an inch below the bottom of the strap. It's almost as though it's chafing the skin. What's strange is it's only on one side (my left side) not in the center where I might expect more issues because of where the module sits. I went for a 10 mile run this weekend and the irritation got pretty bad.

I'm hesitant to use any kind of anti-chafing product as I'm not sure if it will affect the HR strap. Any insight would be extremely helpful.

2014-04-17 11:24 AM
in reply to: MikeyP4

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Irritation from HR Strap?
Do you wet your strap first? is it irritated where it clasps? I have a polar HRM and notice that the little tag there can get folded over and bother me, but will adjust it and am fine.
2014-04-17 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4983055

I had the same issue, anti chaffing products didn't work on runs over an hour.
Temporary fix was a wrist band (the old fashioned terry cloth ones) looped over the strap at the spot chaffing occurred.

Permanent fix was switching to Timex, they have rubberized straps.
2014-04-17 11:43 AM
in reply to: MikeyP4

User image

Veteran
Illinois
The Garmin Soft Strap is known to cause irritation, but normally it's in the middle of the chest (for me; also DC Rainmaker has a post about it). I use my old hard strap now most of the time, and only use the soft strap when I'm racing (since the hard strap isn't waterproof).

Electrode gel might solve the issue, and should increase sensitivity and reading.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Irritation from HR Strap? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Polar HR strap irritation for women

Started by bexsmith
Views: 2787 Posts: 11

2008-11-17 1:41 PM erincs

Polar HR strap question

Started by Bcozican
Views: 889 Posts: 4

2007-02-06 8:16 AM LaurenSU02

HR strap leaving a mark on your skin?

Started by cobannero
Views: 1012 Posts: 9

2007-01-11 3:42 AM crusevegas

swimming with HR strap on

Started by Kevin_MS
Views: 1122 Posts: 8

2006-09-17 10:12 PM davidb

Cleaning HR Monitor Strap

Started by runnergirl29
Views: 1016 Posts: 7

2006-06-23 4:10 PM tag
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Would getting the veins fixed have any potential triathlon performance implications? Is there anything else I should be doing for them when I swim/bike/run?

date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.
date : December 8, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Highly trained athletes can maintain a specific HR longer than a newbie without much creeping; their endurance is greater—thus able to keep pace efficiently and without much additional increase in HR.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 8
Training plan terms and definitions for use in silver and gold member plan workouts. Many workout drills include VIDEO tutorials, see links below.
date : January 29, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My doctor says 140bpm HR is my max, but that feels like a walk in the park... I don't know what to do, how to train, and my motivation is waning. Any suggestions?