General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner- Looking for training buddy in Kansas City (Northland) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-17 11:14 AM

Subject: Beginner- Looking for training buddy in Kansas City (Northland)
Hi everyone! My name is Minni. I live in the Northland of Kansas City. I have been a road racer for a few years but, for some reason, and after many different races (5ks-HMs), I quit cold turkey last year. Why? Not sure. I guess I just felt like I wasn't sure where to go from there. I needed a change, a bigger challenge.

After almost a YEAR off--yes, a year--I am ready to try a Tri. I haven't been this excited about training for something in a long time. I am hoping to find someone who can show me the ropes and hopefully be my training partner. I have no clue what goes in to it but I am willing to give it my all. I think this may start off as a bucket list thing but will end up being my new obsession. Please let me know if you are in my area and if you are willing to train with me!

Wishing you all luck in your upcoming races!
Minni

Edited by 1stTriGal 2014-04-17 11:14 AM

2014-04-17 11:25 AM
in reply to: 1stTriGal

User image

Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: RE: Beginner- Looking for training buddy in Kansas City (Northland)

I am in my first year of triathlons and live in the Northland too (off of Flintlock, south of 152).  There is a pretty strong tri presence here in KC, but it seems to be centered on the KS side (Overland Park/Lenexa).  I'm trying to get a few friends together to do some group rides/runs in the Northland as the weather warms up.  If you're a road racer, then I'm sure you'll blow me away on the bike, but as long as long as you're willing to ride slow, I'm totally up for some rides/runs.

Where are you planning on swimming?  I currently swim in the Liberty community center, but I'm planning on joining the Masters swim group at the Gladstone community center at some point.

I'll send you a private message with my contact info.

Dan

2014-04-22 7:32 AM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri
Check out the Kansas forum. More activity and group rides over there.
2014-05-06 11:18 AM
in reply to: coyote39

Coyote39....will do. Thanks!
2014-05-09 2:33 PM

There's a lot going on in the northland too though:
- A couple of running groups - through Running Well Store and Sunday Runday in Liberty
- A bike group through Live Blue Zona Rosa and Epic at Burlington Creek might have something
- Also a lot of "new triathlete" stuff through Parkville YMCA including swimming and biking (lots of the events are tied to the WIN for KC Tri for women coming up in July - great for first timers I hear)
- And a Sunday Triathlete Swim class/group at the Vivion YMCA
2014-05-12 10:25 AM
in reply to: hrwheatp

Wow! Really?!! Thanks for the info! I'll look it up! I really wasn't looking forward to having to drive all the way out to OP/JoCo just to get with a group. Thanks again!

2014-07-02 5:55 PM
in reply to: Danmartinids

Hey Dan,

Were you able to form a northland tri group? If so, I am interested in joining.

Thanks

Stephen
2014-07-03 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4983058

Hi! I just moved to KC and am looking for a training buddy. I have two sprint triathlons under my belt but am now out of shape but I do not know this area very well. I live off of 152 near zona rosa. Have you been training? Where are good places to bike and swim??
2014-07-03 8:18 PM
in reply to: scubasteve123

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

No official group yet.  1sttrigal and I have done one ride together, but I definitely am open for doing things more regularly.

I swim at the Liberty Community Center.  There is a Masters swim group at Gladstone, and that community center is really nice too.  For biking and running, I stick close to home, but that makes things kinda hilly.

Shoot me a personal message and we can exchange emails/cell numbers to set up some training times together.

2015-01-08 11:54 AM

User image

I just started this adventure and am actually training for KC Tri in May as well as the Heartland 39.3 series starting in April. Love to have some tips, advice, someone to do long rides or runs with!! Like I said just starting this adventure! Hoping i'm not in over my head!!

2015-01-13 5:26 PM
in reply to: #5021225

New user

Hi all, I am a newbie looking for people to ride with in the KC metro. I will PM a few of the people on this thread but let me know if anyone knows of any exciting rides coming up! --KV

2015-01-15 6:36 AM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri
I've recently moved from from JoCoLand to basically 169 & 152. I haven't ridden up here yet, so I will be looking for some good/safe routes.
2015-01-22 4:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

As things warm up, if people want to do some group runs/rides, please shoot me a message.  I've got at least one friend who could join us too.

Edited by Danmartinids 2015-01-22 4:23 PM
2015-04-05 4:11 AM
in reply to: Danmartinids

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia

I'm moving to KC on May 1 and know nothing about the area. But I'm up for a group ride or run. And if someone can suggest some places to swim, I'd appreciate it.

2015-04-09 9:28 PM
in reply to: #4983058

User image

I live up near 435 and 291 and would love to train with some people. I plan on doing alot of my rides at CBW downtown airport, mainly because there's less traffic down there then up here. I swim at the Liberty Community Center and tend to run around my house. Sometimes I'll join the Rock 'N' Runnerz run group that meets @ Rock & Run in Liberty on Wednesday nights.
2015-05-10 5:27 AM
in reply to: Toffels

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia

Originally posted by Toffels I live up near 435 and 291 and would love to train with some people. I plan on doing alot of my rides at CBW downtown airport, mainly because there's less traffic down there then up here. I swim at the Liberty Community Center and tend to run around my house. Sometimes I'll join the Rock 'N' Runnerz run group that meets @ Rock & Run in Liberty on Wednesday nights.

Thanks for the tips. Settling into the apartment now. My bike is leaning against the wall in the living room. I'd love to get out for a ride this week, and am thinking about doing the Sprint Tri on the 16th.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner- Looking for training buddy in Kansas City (Northland) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

5i50 Kansas City moved to Lawrence, Kansas

Started by nolken
Views: 950 Posts: 1

2012-12-13 3:06 PM nolken

kansas city to clinton, mo bike ride

Started by tri-dg
Views: 1780 Posts: 1

2009-05-19 10:58 PM tri-dg

Wet Suit in Kansas City or Springfield....

Started by kris09
Views: 3280 Posts: 9

2009-04-09 11:28 PM cam2win

kansas city august 19

Started by Bripod
Views: 1082 Posts: 1

2007-07-11 9:35 PM Bripod

Kansas City Runs?

Started by triat180
Views: 1120 Posts: 5

2007-02-06 1:17 PM triat180
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?

date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.