General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Raleigh, North Carolina
United States
Competitor Group, Inc.
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 56m 38s
Overall Rank = 1134/8593
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 29/571
Pre-race routine:

I went to the expo after work on Friday and picked up my packet. I spent some time at the Brooks display where they had some fun stuff set up. They were offering pre-paid parking at two garages downtown and I decided to spring for that. In the week leading up to the event, I had become increasingly concerned about the race morning logistics and I was all about streamlining at the point. I also stopped by the pace groups area and talked to them. Linda Hatfield from Lifetime was leading out the 1:50 group. The people at the booth kept on stressing "This is a scenic course. This is not a PR course." I knew from looking at the elevation profile that this half marathon course was roughly twice as hilly as the City of Oaks.

When I got home from the Expo on Friday, Kevin said, "Oh, you have a parking pass? I looked at the road closure map and I think that I'll just come in with you." This turned out to be a good thing.

On race morning I had my usual breakfast -- a bagel with peanut butter, a banana, a water bottle of water + camelbak elixir. (I brought an extra water bottle in the car with me to sip on as needed.)

After breakfast, I went through my stretching routine and then got dressed and double checked that I had everything. All set! In the car and pulling out of the driveway just before 5:30. We were supposed to be parked by 6:00. Normally, this would be a 15 minute drive so I was allowing twice as much time as normal. That was not enough time.

The race morning directions had all runners and spectators coming from the south take I-40 end then exit on Salisbury Street. This was not a good plan. Cars were backed up on I-40 at least a half mile from the exit. Stop and roll. I decided that if we weren't there by 6:30, I would just get out of the car and do a warm up run there. Stop and roll. Kevin getting anxious. Finally we were off the exit and out of the clover leaf. I got out my phone and we found a back way to cut over to Wilmington Street which we knew would remain open throughout the race (Salisbury was supposed to close at 6:00 and it was like 6:02 when we found got to the cut through.). Wilmington Street was practically deserted and we got right to our parking deck. The prepaid pass was totally the way to go.
Event warmup:

Parking the car, Potty like a Rock Start, finding the corral

Brooks was having a Potty Like a Rock Star promo leading up to this race. Spend $100 at a participating store, get a sticker to go into their potty line. I needed new shoes, Fleet Feet was a participating store, got the shoes, got the sticker, used the sticker. Win!

Got to the coral.

Race start was delayed 10 minutes to let everyone get to their coral.
Run
  • 1h 56m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

I made it to my coral with time to spare and found a group to run with. They planned to go a bit faster than my anticipated finish time but I decided to go for it although I knew that it was a non-PR course with all of the hills. I was feeling pretty good in the days leading up to the race. Soon the annoucer said that we would be starting at 7:10. The extra ten minutes would have been good for more of a warm up but the area around the corals was too crowded to do anything so I settled for people watching and absorbing the atmosphere. Before I knew it, the E group was off and then the first and second corals went and we were up!

We started through downtown with a winding route past the NC Museum of Natural Sciences with it's large globe and NC Museum of History, past Moore Square and through Shaw University where the marching band played from a pedestrian overpass along the route, past Chavis Park and it's historic carousel, through Historic Oakwood and it's restored houses and past the Oakwood cemetery, past Peace College, Cameron Village shopping center -- where I saw my parents!!! -- and the Raleigh Little Theatre Rose Garden. From there we went along Hillsborough Street and past NC State University and by the iconic bell tower, along Pullen Park, past Central Prison (I don't think that we were supposed to notice that one), through Dorthea Dix and finally through Boylan Heights. Memorable hills were at Chavis Park, Oakwood Cemetary, just after turning onto Peace, in Dix and on Boylan near the finish. Very nice downhill on Pullen.

As we got to Dix, I thought to myself, “I am never doing this race again.” When I finished, I was smiling and I had to stop myself from signing up for next year’s event! (Don't annoy the coach by signing up for races with no plan!). My calves started to cramp and complain at about this point as well.

Unfortunately, I saw four people passed out getting attention during the race. I later found out that two participates died during the event. I pointed out to Kevin that I started in coral 3 (of 24). People up there are generally not newbies. Lots of hill walking for a non-ironman event too. I really feel for the families of the men who died.

Random notes about the race:
* Pre-paid parking pass - worth it!
Potty like a Rock Star ($100 of Brooks gear to get the sticker, needed shoes anyway) - worth it!
* Getting into town - nightmarish! Thankfully Kevin was driving. They directed *everyone* to come in on Salisbury Street. It was backed up over half a mile onto 40. I allowed twice as much time as it would take on a normal day. That was not enough.
* Change of clothing - do it! We went to the concert afterward and changing cloths made this possible

What would you do differently?:

One thing that I do need to work on is setting expectations. I knew that RnR Raleigh was not a PR course. I knew that it was twice as hilly as the City of Oaks half marathon. I knew it was not an A race. I know that I can’t PR everything all the time but I still wanted to. I guess this is kind of normal but setting reasonable expectations/goals for each event is something I could improve on.
Post race
Warm down:

Kevin met me at the finish line. We went back to the car where I changed cloths and then we went to the post race concert where we saw Love Canon and New Politics.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-02-17 12:00 AM
Running
01:56:38 | 13.1 miles | 08m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/571
Overall: 571/8593
Performance:
Course: Scenic but hilly.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-04-17 2:24 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon

2014-04-17 4:50 PM
in reply to: #4983187

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon

I used to have this trucker hat that said, "party like a rockstar" and I keep thinking of it with "Potty like a rockstar" instead. I love it. Brooks is clever with some of their marketing.

Great race Janyne. I know the feeling of "I never want to do this" during and a smile on your face, ready to sign up for another round at the end. I would have to say both of those things are indicators of success.

My friend's father is a psychologist and he says expectations are a fantasy of how things "should" be other than dealing with how they are. Virtually always toxic. A goal is an activity that is definable, doable, and done (Measurable.) The source of motivation. And this might be a semantics thing and I am certainly not trying to be preachy. It just so happens to be something that has been on my mind lately. I found that deciphering those two things has been really helpful in creating my goals. Although admittedly I haven't figured it all out yet.

You can't always PR when there are such variations in the course. This race sounds like success to me! You pottied like a g*ddamned rockstar!

2014-04-18 11:24 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pennsylvania

Sounds like this was a very scenic, beautiful race (except the prison, LOL) and it sounds like you ran a strong race.  Keep that chin up, as you said, not every race can be a PR, sometimes conditions or courses work against us in that regard.  Nice race!

2014-04-18 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Great report! Sounds like an awesome course. I didn't do the Potty Like a Rock Star last year at Denver, mostly because the participating stores are all in Denver. I might find a way to do it this year though. Can never have too many Brooks! Hadn't thought about i-40 going to/through Raliegh. Now when I use it I'll know that if I continue east I'll make my way to you!

2014-04-19 6:32 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

You made the best of a hard course and had a great day.  That is pretty fantastic.

Hilly half marathon courses are hard to pace effectively, sub 2 hours on a hilly course is pretty jazzy.

2014-04-20 3:11 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Orlando

When I first read your "potty like a rock star" reference I thought you were describing what you did   And it made me laugh! I am always impressed by your preparation and attention to details - wish I had some of that for myself.  It sounds like this was a crowded and hard course and you did a fantastic job with it, so congratulations!!

One last thing, I would have noticed the prison too.

2014-04-22 11:05 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Great race, Janyne...love your RRs and the potty humor is hilarious.  Sounds like a tough course...I try not to sign up for those. 

2014-04-22 3:23 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Nice job as always. Racing on a tough course, in less than stellar conditions and you had a really good race. You are so consistent and prepared, it is really awesome to try to pick up tips from your RR's. Thank you for that. And congratulations on a race well done! 

2014-04-23 9:04 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Sounds like a tough but fun event!  Strong work Janyne :)

2014-04-24 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by amd723

When I first read your "potty like a rock star" reference I thought you were describing what you did   And it made me laugh! I am always impressed by your preparation and attention to details - wish I had some of that for myself.  It sounds like this was a crowded and hard course and you did a fantastic job with it, so congratulations!!

That's hilarious!

Great job on the race! It's exciting now that race season is getting started.

2014-04-26 5:59 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by amd723

She didn't? Maybe Brooks sprung for a flushing toilet. 

Great race for a not-so-easy course. You're right, can't all be PRs...even though in our heart of hearts we want them so badly. Sometimes it's just about the feeling of accomplishment and the "sign me up" smile.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh Marathon

Started by tarheeltri
Views: 1155 Posts: 1

2014-04-16 11:02 PM tarheeltri

Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon

Started by lisac957
Views: 2030 Posts: 8

2014-04-15 8:17 PM QueenZipp

Started by matthewwise
Views: 1045 Posts: 1

2014-04-14 9:51 AM matthewwise

Started by WoodrowCall
Views: 1178 Posts: 4

2014-04-14 2:08 PM slornow

Rock 'n' Roll Marathon (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by lmscozz
Views: 1985 Posts: 6

2010-06-10 6:15 PM reid15
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.