General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What would you think? Stolen? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2014-04-18 3:04 PM
in reply to: AndyEWU07

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: What would you think? Stolen?

There is an elderly woman who rides a child's moped in my neighborhood.

Definitely calling the cops tonight.

2014-04-18 3:06 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Utah
Ok, I'm an idiot to have not predicted the sh*t storm this would cause.

A few things that maybe explain more where I was coming from. First of all, you NEVER see bikes like that in this particular part of town, in fact, you don't seem many bikes at all. Secondly, there have been a string of bike robberies not far from this area, as well as bike shops broken into. So with that being on my mind, and going on recently, I may have jumped to that conclusion quicker than I normally would have given the local news surrounding bike store break ins and bike robberies.

I don't consider myself a racist/judgemental person at all seeing as how I am in a mixed race family myself, but as the deputy stated, we need to be aware of our surroundings and point things out that aren't quite right. I just know that with all the BIKE STOLEN threads that we see on here and other places, we want people to be diligent, and keep an eye out for things that look out of sorts and to be aware. I immediately thought of that as well and thought I was being diligent. If I had a bike anywhere near that nice, I would want someone to do the same for me.

Maybe it really was his bike. Maybe he is an upcoming triathlete and this is his only means of transportation. Good for him if he is and more power to him. However, given the circumstances, that is not what I thought, and if you want to judge me for the conclusions I jumped to, judge away.
2014-04-18 3:10 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Danged non-clean cut, non-lycra wearing kids riding our tri bikes. What's next, they gonna steal our wimmins, too? I bet they're even thinking of sitting on the stool at the organic brewery next to us -- we'd just have to call the cops to come and straighten 'em out.

Honestly, I can't tell if this thread smacks more of racism or just elitism.
2014-04-18 3:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Utah
Originally posted by mr2tony

Danged non-clean cut, non-lycra wearing kids riding our tri bikes. What's next, they gonna steal our wimmins, too? I bet they're even thinking of sitting on the stool at the organic brewery next to us -- we'd just have to call the cops to come and straighten 'em out.

I didn't want to bring up race so I specifically left it out of the OP. But, since everyone has gone there, the dude was white, as am I.

Seriously people?!? I don't think what I did was any different than how many of you would have responded or thought in the same situation. Maybe you wouldn't have called the cops like I did, but to pretend you wouldn't take a second look or have a thought it was out of place you are fooling yourselves.

It will be a long time before I post on here again. Glad you self righteous people are so much less judgemental.

Edited by KatieLimb 2014-04-18 3:16 PM
2014-04-18 3:20 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Champion
Chicago
Just like when a black man in a nice neighborhood shovels his driveway -- this is just vigilant police work, right here, wouldn't you say, deputy?

http://www.dougglanville.com/i-was-racially-profiled-my-own-drivewa...
2014-04-18 3:20 PM
in reply to: JonnyVero

User image

Utah
Originally posted by JonnyVero

I've had my house burglarized. They took off on my mountain bikes carrying duffel bags full of electronics and other valuables. Nobody in the neighborhood noticed a thing. 2 guys riding bikes in their street clothes carrying duffel bags in a neighborhood could easily have looked like high school kids on their way from one's house to the other. On the other hand it's unusual enough that I might have wondered if they were up to no good. If an officer stopped and asked them what they were up to it might have made a difference.

I might have reported it just as you did for the very reason that this has happened to me.

[/QU

x2

2014-04-18 3:23 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by KatieLimb

Originally posted by mr2tony

I didn't want to bring up race so I specifically left it out of the OP. But, since everyone has gone there, the dude was white, as am I.

Seriously people?!? I don't think what I did was any different than how many of you would have responded or thought in the same situation. Maybe you wouldn't have called the cops like I did, but to pretend you wouldn't take a second look or have a thought it was out of place you are fooling yourselves.

It will be a long time before I post on here again. Glad you self righteous people are so much less judgemental.

I didn't say you said he was black. I intentionally left anything about race out of my sarcastic description of people who ride tri-bikes. And I said this thread wreaks of racism and elitism, which it does. I stand by my post.
2014-04-18 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
Originally posted by AndyEWU07

Originally posted by DigitalRain

Originally posted by DigitalRain

You called the cops on somebody you felt didn't look like they should have a nice bike?

Do you do the same for people riding in expensive cars that don't look like they can afford it or don't fit the type of person that should have a nice car?

I'm a black person and I've often ridden my bike with regular clothes on. Would you have called the police on me cause I'm riding a bike that you feel I could not have possibly afforded, cause I'm not the TYPE to have an expensive bike?

Unbelievable.

Really? It's 2014, drop the race card... It gets old...

Does it? After reading your first post, I'm not the least surprised you believe people play"race cards".

Where in my first post did I ever mention black people? Really, get over yourself...

I see you didn't get what I meant, but that's ok. In the meantime, how about you take your own advice and get over your self. "If this helps, I dislike A LOT more white than black people."

Oh. Wow. I'm done.

Good evening everyone I'm about to go ride my bike.
2014-04-18 3:39 PM
in reply to: jford2309

I'm almost afraid to jump in on this one.

First, my point of view. I may find it odd, and notice the same things you did, but I wouldn't call he cops unless I actually saw something being stolen, and even then I'd have to be 100% certain. I prefer to stay out of other peoples business and mind my own. And this may sound socially irresponsible, but even if I was pretty certain it was stolen but it wasn't my neighborhood, I probably wouldn't even bother.

That said, the reason I said I was afraid to jump in on this one, is because I wanted to defend (to some extent), "judging a book by its cover." I think it is foolish to not realize that in general that with regards to a type of crime, there is a perpetrator who fits the crime more than another based on looks alone. I'm not condoning acting on that fact alone, but to not allow it to raise suspicion is just being ignorant.

I have to deal with heroin and other drug addicts all the time, and frankly, they got the look. Do a google search of convicted child molesters and tell me they don't "have the look." Psychopaths? Check out a picture of Adam Lanza, or that Utah woman who had 7 dead babies in her house. Call me judgmental, but if I am in a room and someone all crazy eyed like that walks in with baggy concealing clothing, I am leaving...quickly. Anyone who doesn't want to be judgmental can hang out and serve as meat shields as I make my escape.

And not to dodge the race issue, gang members are usually in bad areas, usually minorities, and yes, they commit more crimes. And guess what, they have a look.

Given your situation, I would have noticed what you did, and may have thought the guy had some cash from selling drugs and bought a damn fine bike. Why would I think that? I'll use one of my local "bad neighborhoods" as an example. If you hang out in Camden, NJ, you probably can't afford nice stuff. And if you can, you are probably selling drugs. Who sells drugs in bad neighborhoods? Gang members. What do gang members look like? In most cases, they look like gang members. Simple logic and probability.

However, again, you can't really be 100% sure of anything, and should just mind your business. Sorry if that sounds harsh, I could have said "mind your own "damn" business, if I wanted to be harsh, but I didn't. I mean it in a nice way. Judge people all you want, but leave them alone unless you know they did something.
2014-04-18 3:42 PM
in reply to: DigitalRain

User image

Originally posted by DigitalRain  I see you didn't get what I meant, but that's ok. In the meantime, how about you take your own advice and get over your self. "If this helps, I dislike A LOT more white than black people." Oh. Wow. I'm done. Good evening everyone I'm about to go ride my bike.

I've seen you ride.  You need it. :D

2014-04-18 3:43 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Originally posted by lisac957

You're just about as dramatic as DigitalRain...

2014-04-18 3:44 PM

User image

Originally posted by KatieLimb

Ok, I'm an idiot to have not predicted the sh*t storm this would cause.

A few things that maybe explain more where I was coming from. First of all, you NEVER see bikes like that in this particular part of town, in fact, you don't seem many bikes at all. Secondly, there have been a string of bike robberies not far from this area, as well as bike shops broken into. So with that being on my mind, and going on recently, I may have jumped to that conclusion quicker than I normally would have given the local news surrounding bike store break ins and bike robberies.

I don't consider myself a racist/judgemental person at all seeing as how I am in a mixed race family myself, but as the deputy stated, we need to be aware of our surroundings and point things out that aren't quite right. I just know that with all the BIKE STOLEN threads that we see on here and other places, we want people to be diligent, and keep an eye out for things that look out of sorts and to be aware. I immediately thought of that as well and thought I was being diligent. If I had a bike anywhere near that nice, I would want someone to do the same for me.

Maybe it really was his bike. Maybe he is an upcoming triathlete and this is his only means of transportation. Good for him if he is and more power to him. However, given the circumstances, that is not what I thought, and if you want to judge me for the conclusions I jumped to, judge away.

You're not the racist... Apparently I am... According to DigitalRain.
2014-04-18 3:47 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

So I shouldn't call the cops based on someone's appearance being "out of place" for the "type" of person who lives in my neighborhood?
Now I'm confused.

2014-04-18 3:52 PM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
Originally posted by RussTKD

Originally posted by DigitalRain  I see you didn't get what I meant, but that's ok. In the meantime, how about you take your own advice and get over your self. "If this helps, I dislike A LOT more white than black people." Oh. Wow. I'm done. Good evening everyone I'm about to go ride my bike.

I've seen you ride.  You need it. :D

*Shakes fist at Russ*
2014-04-18 3:54 PM

Pot meet kettle

Edited by Sidney Porter 2014-04-18 3:56 PM
2014-04-18 4:17 PM

User image

So I shouldn't call the cops based on someone's appearance being "out of place" for the "type" of person who lives in my neighborhood?
Now I'm confused.

Old person on a scooter.... Young male who does not fit on a $5,000 bike... Really? Common sense is not so common in Kansas...

2014-04-18 4:24 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Now I'm confused.

Old person on a scooter.... Young male who does not fit on a $5,000 bike... Really? Common sense is not so common in Kansas...

How is that so different?
How many 80 year old ladies have you seen riding a child's moped? Using the logic in this thread, she is suspicious of stealing it. Clearly she does "not fit" on it.

2014-04-18 4:27 PM

User image

Now I'm confused.

How many 80 year old ladies have you seen riding a child's moped? Using the logic in this thread, she is suspicious of stealing it. Clearly she does "not fit" on it.

AGAIN....common sense is not so common... Call your local jail, ask how many 80 year olds are in custody for theft... Then think about your comment.
2014-04-18 4:29 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Now I'm confused.

AGAIN....common sense is not so common... Call your local jail, ask how many 80 year olds are in custody for theft... Then think about your comment.

You are proving my point that you can't judge a book by it's cover.

2014-04-18 4:30 PM

Now I'm confused.

The OP doesn't mention which model Shiv it was the Elite has a MSRP of $3200. Nor did she say it didn't fit him, he probably had is sized.
2014-04-18 4:32 PM

User image

The cops aren't going to stop someone on a suspicion call like that, so no one's rights were being violated.

But... if it was stolen and the owner reported it, the information you gave would have helped find the bike.

2014-04-18 4:36 PM

If you live in my community, I want you to make that call. Criminals thrive on the apathy of the public. If something looks wrong, it probably is.

Recently, people have been bike jacked with kids using baseball bats. What if that happened in this case and there is some guy in lycra on the side of the road nearby bleeding out? Best case, you might have saved a life. Worse case, some young kid had to explain his bike to the cops. I really don't see the problem.

2014-04-18 4:38 PM

User image

Pro

Good job, Katie.  If I was working I would have stopped the guy, and I'd easily make the stop stand up in court based on my experience and observations.  Your observations were good ones, and I hope anyone who sees someone riding that bike in that manner would do the same.  There is no harm and no foul......and I'd be happy I got stopped if the cop explained that he was just making sure the bike wasn't stolen, because it could have been my bike, and it could have been stolen.

You know,  good cops make these stops easily, and everybody leaves with a smile if there is no crime.

The simple fact is, is VERY rare to see someone dressed as you describe on a triathlon bike.....and expensive bikes get stolen all the time. The posters on this thread act like they see it every day....what bullcrap.

The funny thing is, most of the people whining on this thread would be crying, "you mean you saw someone on my bike wearing jeans and sneakers and no helmet and you didn't stop him?  What.....you didn't think that was suspicious?"  We hear it all the time and it's laughable.

Once again, Katie, good job! 

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-18 4:42 PM
2014-04-18 4:38 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

Oh, and any racism here isn't with the poster, its with the others that assumed he was black.

2014-04-18 4:53 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago

Now I'm confused.

Do you not realize that what you're saying is the very definition of profiling?

`Many criminals are (insert characteristic X here), and that person is (insert characterstic X here), so that person must be a criminal. Few criminals are 80 years old, so that 80-year-old must not be a criminal.'

Not necessarily racial profiling, but if characterstic X = has tattoos ... or has piercings ... or is Asian ... or whatever, but it's profiling.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What would you think? Stolen? Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Wait ...uh....someone stole.....I think.....wtf Pages: 1 2

Started by DV 1
Views: 3563 Posts: 47

2013-05-15 11:53 AM bufordt

Woman, 25, spots her stolen bike on Craigslist... and 'steals' it back after posing as a buyer

Started by trishie
Views: 2181 Posts: 8

2011-11-13 8:29 PM 1stTimeTri

Bicycle stolen in transition?

Started by ACE
Views: 1218 Posts: 12

2005-04-07 4:42 PM TypeA Girl Pilot

Stolen Bike!

Started by gymyflipper
Views: 1058 Posts: 22

2004-08-04 9:38 AM tmwelshy

Steals and Deals