General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What would you think? Stolen? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2014-04-18 4:55 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: What would you think? Stolen?
Originally posted by Left Brain

Good job, Katie.  If I was working I would have stopped the guy, and I'd easily make the stop stand up in court based on my experience and observations.  Your observations were good ones, and I hope anyone who sees someone riding that bike in that manner would do the same.  There is no harm and no foul......and I'd be happy I got stopped if the cop explained that he was just making sure the bike wasn't stolen, because it could have been my bike, and it could have been stolen.

You know,  good cops make these stops easily, and everybody leaves with a smile if there is no crime.

The simple fact is, is VERY rare to see someone dressed as you describe on a triathlon bike.....and expensive bikes get stolen all the time. The posters on this thread act like they see it every day....what bullcrap.

The funny thing is, most of the people whining on this thread would be crying, "you mean you saw someone on my bike wearing jeans and sneakers and no helmet and you didn't stop him?  What.....you didn't think that was suspicious?"  We hear it all the time and it's laughable.

Once again, Katie, good job! 

You! Just stop.

2014-04-18 4:59 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mr2tony

Good job, Katie.  If I was working I would have stopped the guy, and I'd easily make the stop stand up in court based on my experience and observations.  Your observations were good ones, and I hope anyone who sees someone riding that bike in that manner would do the same.  There is no harm and no foul......and I'd be happy I got stopped if the cop explained that he was just making sure the bike wasn't stolen, because it could have been my bike, and it could have been stolen.

You know,  good cops make these stops easily, and everybody leaves with a smile if there is no crime.

The simple fact is, is VERY rare to see someone dressed as you describe on a triathlon bike.....and expensive bikes get stolen all the time. The posters on this thread act like they see it every day....what bullcrap.

The funny thing is, most of the people whining on this thread would be crying, "you mean you saw someone on my bike wearing jeans and sneakers and no helmet and you didn't stop him?  What.....you didn't think that was suspicious?"  We hear it all the time and it's laughable.

You! Just stop.

Eh.....it's actually a lot easier than that. 

2014-04-18 5:07 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

LB, out of curiosity, how would you determine if the bike was stolen or not?  Odds are he's not carrying around a receipt with him.

2014-04-18 5:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Interesting post...

Definitely no easy answer, that's for sure.  I saw a guy in street clothes and giant backpack riding their TT bike, in earo...  Definitely wasn't wearing the garb of a triathlete in training.  But the fact he was cruising in earo fully weighed down (which isn't easy for someone who never was on a TT bike before if they where trying to "hot foot" it out of there) made me never consider calling the police.  Just thought it was an odd site.  But that's just MY decision based on MY interpretation of what I saw.  People can have different interpretations based on legitimate reasoning, or more nefarious reasoning.  I was obviously vindicated the SECOND time I saw him and ever since after that.  He doesn't steal the same bike every day!

On the flip side, I called the police because I saw someone loading up a U-haul truck at 3am.  To ME, that just seemed suspicious and out of the norm.  Sure, they could have had day jobs and it COULD have been an unfair assessment of the situation, but I figured what's the worst thing that could  happen?  Cops come, ask a question or to, check ID and if everything is cool, everyone is on their way.  The BEST thing that could happen?  Someone that was getting all their stuff jacked was saved...  Was I profiling against the night owl that wants to move all their furniture at 3am?  I guess so...

Maybe similar in this case.  If I was the one stopped in my work clothes?  I might have been pizzed off.  But if was my bike?  I might have wanted someone riding out of my neighborhood in street clothes riding it at least stopped and asked.  I don't have to worry, your average thief is not riding away on MY bike!

Sometimes when people profile, it's not always bad or based on sex, race, age, socioeconomic reasoning.  Many times?  It is.  HOPEFULLY, we can judge based on the situation, and not solely based simply on someone's skin color, age, etc. 

Edited by Kido 2014-04-18 5:16 PM
2014-04-18 5:18 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Pro

Originally posted by axteraa

LB, out of curiosity, how would you determine if the bike was stolen or not?  Odds are he's not carrying around a receipt with him.

You might not be able to.  If it's stolen, then hopefully the serial number is entered as stolen in NCIC or local databases..  You can also just ask the guy where he got it from......that's usually when the stumbling with words starts....and it goes downhill rom there.  If it's his bike, you end up talking about how nice it is and "how the hell do you end up riding it in jeans and tennis shoes?" LOL    The stories are usually worth a laugh or two and a "hey, thanks for checking, it's good to know you guys are paying attention".

I've been a cop for almost 3 decades.....it's not nearly as adversarial as people think it is...at least when done right.

2014-04-18 5:31 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I couldn't agree with you more. 

2014-04-18 5:34 PM

User image

Originally posted by AndyEWU07

Originally posted by lisac957

There is an elderly woman who rides a child's moped in my neighborhood.

Definitely calling the cops tonight.

You're just about as dramatic as DigitalRain...

So I shouldn't call the cops based on someone's appearance being "out of place" for the "type" of person who lives in my neighborhood?
Now I'm confused.

Old person on a scooter.... Young male who does not fit on a $5,000 bike... Really? Common sense is not so common in Kansas...

How is that so different?
How many 80 year old ladies have you seen riding a child's moped? Using the logic in this thread, she is suspicious of stealing it. Clearly she does "not fit" on it.

AGAIN....common sense is not so common... Call your local jail, ask how many 80 year olds are in custody for theft... Then think about your comment.

Do you not realize that what you're saying is the very definition of profiling?

`Many criminals are (insert characteristic X here), and that person is (insert characterstic X here), so that person must be a criminal. Few criminals are 80 years old, so that 80-year-old must not be a criminal.'

Not necessarily racial profiling, but if characterstic X = has tattoos ... or has piercings ... or is Asian ... or whatever, but it's profiling.

Criminal profiling which is what you're talking about is ok.... Racial profiling is not. So yes, I do know I'm profiling.
2014-04-18 5:39 PM
in reply to: AndyEWU07

User image

Pro

So I shouldn't call the cops based on someone's appearance being "out of place" for the "type" of person who lives in my neighborhood?
Now I'm confused.

Old person on a scooter.... Young male who does not fit on a $5,000 bike... Really? Common sense is not so common in Kansas...

How many 80 year old ladies have you seen riding a child's moped? Using the logic in this thread, she is suspicious of stealing it. Clearly she does "not fit" on it.

AGAIN....common sense is not so common... Call your local jail, ask how many 80 year olds are in custody for theft... Then think about your comment.
Do you not realize that what you're saying is the very definition of profiling? `Many criminals are (insert characteristic X here), and that person is (insert characterstic X here), so that person must be a criminal. Few criminals are 80 years old, so that 80-year-old must not be a criminal.' Not necessarily racial profiling, but if characterstic X = has tattoos ... or has piercings ... or is Asian ... or whatever, but it's profiling.
Criminal profiling which is what you're talking about is ok.... Racial profiling is not. So yes, I do know I'm profiling.

DUDE!!!  Have you not seen CSI?  HAHAHAHA!!

2014-04-18 5:59 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Champion
MA

Originally posted by popsracer

I couldn't agree with you more. 

I agree as well....if we as citizens don't speak up when we see things out of the norm bad things can happen. No harm if stopped by police and he owns the bike, but someone who had their prize Shiv stolen would be so grateful for an astute citizen to see that was not normal.

I call the police ever few years for things I see....drunk or what appears to be impaired drivers are the most common. If I can help them stop driving and not hurt someone else, I have done well.

Katie, you did well.

2014-04-18 6:20 PM

User image

Now I'm confused.

Do you not realize that what you're saying is the very definition of profiling? `Many criminals are (insert characteristic X here), and that person is (insert characterstic X here), so that person must be a criminal. Few criminals are 80 years old, so that 80-year-old must not be a criminal.' Not necessarily racial profiling, but if characterstic X = has tattoos ... or has piercings ... or is Asian ... or whatever, but it's profiling.

You suck! I stand up for Katie, I'm a judgemental, racist, profiling jerk ... You stand up for Katie, you're the sensitive, non-profiling police officer to ever put on a uniform...

Edited by AndyEWU07 2014-04-18 6:21 PM
2014-04-18 6:31 PM

User image

Pro

Now I'm confused.

You suck! I stand up for Katie, I'm a judgemental, racist, profiling jerk ... You stand up for Katie, you're the sensitive, non-profiling police officer to ever put on a uniform...

I've been at it longer   ......you know damn well that to most people I'm a judgemental, racist, profiling jerk, just like you,  when I'm working.....I just learned to laugh it off and got used to the ignorance.  People are fun to deal with.

2014-04-18 6:52 PM
in reply to: #4983527

User image

Utah
Thanks to those who had my back! Y'all are great!
2014-04-18 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

I didn't say you said he was black. I intentionally left anything about race out of my sarcastic description of people who ride tri-bikes. And I said this thread wreaks of racism and elitism, which it does. I stand by my post.

The thread reeks of racism and elitism.
You're wreaking havoc on the English language.
2014-04-18 10:07 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

The person described sounds like half of the people who work in the bike shops I go to and do shop rides with. They are the ones on the podium of your local races btw..

someone riding on aero bars, in sneakers on clipless pedals, and not falling on their face is someone who owns the bike. unlike this guy who can't even ride on his own http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

lots of people talking tough but clearly the OP didn't have the guts to call when it happened but is trying to justify herself now. I bet them damn kids and their rock and roll music are ruining everything too!!

sure it wasn't Ben Berdon (pro CX rider)
http://www.cxmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/sea_otter_cx_h...
2014-04-18 10:18 PM
in reply to: Bscjake

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Bscjakeclearly the OP didn't have the guts to call when it happened but is trying to justify herself now. 

Hey Bonehead.....why don't you go back and read the OP.  Clearly you don't have the IQ to comprehend a simple sentence but are trying to justify yourself now.

2014-04-18 10:40 PM

I'm sorry, I should have said she now feels like she was ignorant and paranoid but wants to make herself feel better by trying to justify her thinking.

"I guess that is a VERY small possibility, but I doubt it. "

"However, the guy riding it didn't match the bike. He was late teens, early 20s, in baggy jeans, oversized jersey, sneakers, etc, looked like a gang banger."

OH NO IT'S NOT CPT AMERICA ON A BIKE MUST BE STOLEN!

Sounds like some paranoid middle aged white lady being a nosey elitist.

Edited by Bscjake 2014-04-18 11:05 PM

2014-04-18 10:46 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Stolen items with serial numbers are entered on CPIC (kinda like NCIC only better )
2014-04-18 11:13 PM

User image

Originally posted by Bscjakeclearly the OP didn't have the guts to call when it happened but is trying to justify herself now. 

Hey Bonehead.....why don't you go back and read the OP.  Clearly you don't have the IQ to comprehend a simple sentence but are trying to justify yourself now.

You can't fix stupid...
2014-04-18 11:30 PM

It is pretty sad you guys have such a narrow view of who is allowed to ride a nice bike.

but hey, i'm sure she doesn't mind when people think everyone from Utah is a Mormon out to convert them. And i'm sure none of you mind the Tri stereotype that you can't ride in a straight line or fix a flat tire. $5000 bike....zero skill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1hDKNqnUuM
2014-04-18 11:51 PM

User image

Richland, Washington
I really hope someone didn't call the cops on me today.... I had to take the truck to get the oil changed today... didn't want to throw the vespa in the back... so I took the P5... I rode home.. in sandals and jeans. Considering I was re-painting the kitchen, I was in paint jeans.. so they were about a size too big and covered in dry paint.

Oh and for the record... if my bike is stolen... I call the insurance company first... then the cops Gotta get the new bike on order before they find the old one!

Edited by Swimaway 2014-04-18 11:56 PM
2014-04-19 2:10 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Originally posted by KatieLimb

It will be a long time before I post on here again. Glad you self righteous people are so much less judgemental.

Originally posted by KatieLimb

Thanks to those who had my back! Y'all are great!

You know, you did ask people for their opinion I don't know, it kinds stuck out with me that you started a thread asking for opinions and when you don't like the opinions you then say you're not posting again for a while. The original post was asking for people's opinion. I guess what you really wanted was to feel validated in your actions and it didn't work out that way. Happens a lot in bulletin boards.

Edited by GatorDeb 2014-04-19 2:12 AM

2014-04-19 2:54 AM
in reply to: Bscjake

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by Bscjake I'm sorry, I should have said she now feels like she was ignorant and paranoid but wants to make herself feel better by trying to justify her thinking. "I guess that is a VERY small possibility, but I doubt it. " "However, the guy riding it didn't match the bike. He was late teens, early 20s, in baggy jeans, oversized jersey, sneakers, etc, looked like a gang banger." OH NO IT'S NOT CPT AMERICA ON A BIKE MUST BE STOLEN! Sounds like some paranoid middle aged white lady being a nosey elitist.

Hey, Sport/Jr./Slick/Buddy/Sonny...take your pick.

You've got a post count of THREE and you come in and start running smack.  Maybe you want to re-think that approach.  Just my .02

To the OP-Good Call!

2014-04-19 2:58 AM
in reply to: GatorDeb

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
So I guess the moral of the story is to just mind yourown business and don't worry about anybody but yourself. So your bike got stolen, hey it's not my problem as long as I am not accused of profiling or judging, God forbid we try to watch out for our fellow citizens! there is a load of bad people in this world and it's getting worse becuase we are afraid of being labled.
2014-04-19 6:18 AM
in reply to: KatieLimb

So the people that say it was good to call the police. You can honestly say that you would not be put off if you were pulled over for the way you were dressed and you age while commuting to and from work? We have people that get offended when someone waves to the and claim that it takes them out of their "zone" but they are not going mind while the officer reviews the serial numbers in the dB?
2014-04-19 6:23 AM

.....and expensive bikes get stolen all the time.  

I would actually think that inexpensive bikes get stolen a lot more than expensive bikes. I would think that for every $3200 that is stolen there are 32 $100 bikes stolen. Most people do a better job securing expensive bikes,. So how should the public help profile the rash of inexpensive bike thefts?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What would you think? Stolen? Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Wait ...uh....someone stole.....I think.....wtf Pages: 1 2

Started by DV 1
Views: 3563 Posts: 47

2013-05-15 11:53 AM bufordt

Woman, 25, spots her stolen bike on Craigslist... and 'steals' it back after posing as a buyer

Started by trishie
Views: 2181 Posts: 8

2011-11-13 8:29 PM 1stTimeTri

Bicycle stolen in transition?

Started by ACE
Views: 1218 Posts: 12

2005-04-07 4:42 PM TypeA Girl Pilot

Stolen Bike!

Started by gymyflipper
Views: 1058 Posts: 22

2004-08-04 9:38 AM tmwelshy

Steals and Deals