General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What would you think? Stolen? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2014-04-19 4:19 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Subject: RE: What would you think? Stolen?
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by GatorDeb
Originally posted by KatieLimb It will be a long time before I post on here again. Glad you self righteous people are so much less judgemental.
Originally posted by KatieLimb Thanks to those who had my back! Y'all are great!
You know, you did ask people for their opinion I don't know, it kinds stuck out with me that you started a thread asking for opinions and when you don't like the opinions you then say you're not posting again for a while. The original post was asking for people's opinion. I guess what you really wanted was to feel validated in your actions and it didn't work out that way. Happens a lot in bulletin boards.

I can understand where Katie's coming from, Deb.  She asked for opinions whether calling or not was the right thing, not to be attacked and called a racist or elitist.

There are definitely some very biased opinions in this thread.

So I can agree that there is bias in the thread and maybe she should not be called a racist or an elitist. By by saying someone looks like a gang banger she brought it on herself. She chose words and sterotypes that inturn are going to make people place stereotypes on her.

2014-04-19 4:20 PM

Originally posted by Bscjake
Originally posted by TriMyBest BUT, IMHO, I think that sort of experience is preventing you from being objective about Katie's situation, because you keep referencing race.  She was very clear that it had nothing to do with her questioning whether the bike was possibly stolen.  Both the OP and the guy on the bike are the same race, so it's not even a factor in the situation.
Judging someone by the clothes they are wearing and how they look and treating them like a 2nd class citizen is not much better. calling them a gangbanger and a thief with zero information. Hell if she has kids I bet some of their friends at school could look like that guy. Tattoos, piercings and baggy clothes are popular styles.. it's funny when people get older they forget that they had styles their parents hated/were paranoid about. But Katie is much better than everyone apparently.

You might want to read LB's post that I quoted.  The issue that makes the person described by Katie in the OP suspicious isn't the style of their clothing or their image.  It's the fact that they are dressed inappropriately to be riding a triathlon bike and overall in a way that is extremely rare to see.  No helmet or clipless shoes, and baggy pants that can get caught in the chain?  Forget about the other comments about tattoos, piercings, and looking "like a gang banger", and what left is odd enough that I would definitely wonder what the deal was.

But think practically.. why would someone steal a tri bike then go ride it on the aerobars. I consider myself a pretty good bike handler but I tried my GF's tri bike and was very unstable on the aerobars with no practice. A gangbanger type thief is not going to have that kind of control

riding clipless pedals with sneakers is not hard. They probably had their pants cuffed so they would stay out of the crank. I rode around the block a few times in pants and sneakers yesterday to check a saddle adjustment.

I ride with a kid in our club that rides an old steel bike with downtube shifters, platform pedals, sneakers, cargo shorts with a canvas backpack on.... at 20mph avg. he sure catches people by surprise that don't expect someone dressed like that to be riding that hard.
2014-04-19 4:32 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Sidney Porter

Originally posted by GatorDeb
Originally posted by KatieLimb It will be a long time before I post on here again. Glad you self righteous people are so much less judgemental.
Originally posted by KatieLimb Thanks to those who had my back! Y'all are great!
You know, you did ask people for their opinion I don't know, it kinds stuck out with me that you started a thread asking for opinions and when you don't like the opinions you then say you're not posting again for a while. The original post was asking for people's opinion. I guess what you really wanted was to feel validated in your actions and it didn't work out that way. Happens a lot in bulletin boards.

I can understand where Katie's coming from, Deb.  She asked for opinions whether calling or not was the right thing, not to be attacked and called a racist or elitist.

There are definitely some very biased opinions in this thread.

So I can agree that there is bias in the thread and maybe she should not be called a racist or an elitist. By by saying someone looks like a gang banger she brought it on herself. She chose words and sterotypes that inturn are going to make people place stereotypes on her.

Fair enough.

2014-04-19 4:38 PM
in reply to: Bscjake

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by TriMyBest BUT, IMHO, I think that sort of experience is preventing you from being objective about Katie's situation, because you keep referencing race.  She was very clear that it had nothing to do with her questioning whether the bike was possibly stolen.  Both the OP and the guy on the bike are the same race, so it's not even a factor in the situation.
Judging someone by the clothes they are wearing and how they look and treating them like a 2nd class citizen is not much better. calling them a gangbanger and a thief with zero information. Hell if she has kids I bet some of their friends at school could look like that guy. Tattoos, piercings and baggy clothes are popular styles.. it's funny when people get older they forget that they had styles their parents hated/were paranoid about. But Katie is much better than everyone apparently.

You might want to read LB's post that I quoted.  The issue that makes the person described by Katie in the OP suspicious isn't the style of their clothing or their image.  It's the fact that they are dressed inappropriately to be riding a triathlon bike and overall in a way that is extremely rare to see.  No helmet or clipless shoes, and baggy pants that can get caught in the chain?  Forget about the other comments about tattoos, piercings, and looking "like a gang banger", and what left is odd enough that I would definitely wonder what the deal was.

But think practically.. why would someone steal a tri bike then go ride it on the aerobars. I consider myself a pretty good bike handler but I tried my GF's tri bike and was very unstable on the aerobars with no practice. A gangbanger type thief is not going to have that kind of control riding clipless pedals with sneakers is not hard. They probably had their pants cuffed so they would stay out of the crank. I rode around the block a few times in pants and sneakers yesterday to check a saddle adjustment. I ride with a kid in our club that rides an old steel bike with downtube shifters, platform pedals, sneakers, cargo shorts with a canvas backpack on.... at 20mph avg. he sure catches people by surprise that don't expect someone dressed like that to be riding that hard.

I have no idea.  If it was stolen, maybe it's not the first one the person stole and rode?  

Speaking for myself, the kid you describe wouldn't make me look twice, because riding on an old bike and dressed like that, I would think it's likely that he either can't afford top end equipment, or doesn't care.  Either way, his attire isn't incongruous with his bike.  Plus, riding hard and having good handling skills isn't dependent on having high end equipment.

2014-04-19 4:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana

Originally posted by DigitalRain Not long after I starting doing triathlons I went to a triathlon with my SO. He gave me his bike to ride, a gorgeous Trek TT bike, clearly an expensive bike. When we got to the race we were the only people of our "type" around. The race was small enough for folks to see we came as a couple. I did the race and when transition opened he went go collect my things for me including his bike. How about somebody "tipped" off the race officials that the he was stealing his own bike? Just him. Other folks were doing the same thing and not a care was given. I will never forget that and I'm glad he had the self control not to lose it. It made me want to stop doing races period.

That really sucks, and I would never do that event again, plus I'd probably write a complaint letter to the RD and post it and the their reply online.  Nobody should ever be treated the way you describe.

BUT, IMHO, I think that sort of experience is preventing you from being objective about Katie's situation, because you keep referencing race.  She was very clear that it had nothing to do with her questioning whether the bike was possibly stolen.  Both the OP and the guy on the bike are the same race, so it's not even a factor in the situation.

I understand what you are saying, I do, but I don't agree. My SO was judged for his appearance, whether he was black or white goth with nose rings and tatted from head to toe. I used to work with a doctor who was tatted to the gods and he always wore a white coat to conceal them to avoid being stigmatized. It all amounts to the same thing, judging someone on appearance alone, without background info or proof. I'm not calling the cops on anyone unless I've actually witnessed a crime or have evidence or proof that something shady is going on. Looking or dressing like a "type" does not equate crime. For all we know as some have said he may have been testing out a bike he plans on buying. It could have been a friends bike he decided to take a spin on. How many times have we all hopped on a bike with no helmet, no clipless shoes, no full cycling garb?

Some of you are assuming I'm making this strictly on race. My issue is making assumptions and judging appearances alone. I used my situation because, well, let's face it black people make up a small number of triathletes. We are not yet the norm in triathlon and could just as easily be seen as out of place on a spiffy TT bike while wearing regular clothes, just like the guy in regular clothes with tats and ear gauges, depending on the location.

With that being said, Happy Easter.

2014-04-19 6:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DigitalRain

Originally posted by DigitalRain Not long after I starting doing triathlons I went to a triathlon with my SO. He gave me his bike to ride, a gorgeous Trek TT bike, clearly an expensive bike. When we got to the race we were the only people of our "type" around. The race was small enough for folks to see we came as a couple. I did the race and when transition opened he went go collect my things for me including his bike. How about somebody "tipped" off the race officials that the he was stealing his own bike? Just him. Other folks were doing the same thing and not a care was given. I will never forget that and I'm glad he had the self control not to lose it. It made me want to stop doing races period.

That really sucks, and I would never do that event again, plus I'd probably write a complaint letter to the RD and post it and the their reply online.  Nobody should ever be treated the way you describe.

BUT, IMHO, I think that sort of experience is preventing you from being objective about Katie's situation, because you keep referencing race.  She was very clear that it had nothing to do with her questioning whether the bike was possibly stolen.  Both the OP and the guy on the bike are the same race, so it's not even a factor in the situation.

I used my situation because, well, let's face it black people make up a small number of triathletes. We are not yet the norm in triathlon and could just as easily be seen as out of place on a spiffy TT bike while wearing regular clothes, just like the guy in regular clothes with tats and ear gauges, depending on the location. .

Exactly.....and I'd stop a black person on the bike dressed as the OP observed the same as I would a white person.....not because there aren't many black triathletes.....that's just ridiculous....but because he doesn't look like he belongs on THAT bike dressed THAT way.  You just cant argue that it's perfectly normal to see someone riding a shiv with no helmet, baggy pants, and sneakers on top of clipless pedals, because it certainly is NOT.  As a person trained to observe things that just don't look right.....that certainly doesn't, because it's WAY out of the ordinary...it's even outside of not ordinary....I 've been around people training on bikes my whole life and I've never seen it.  Like I said, I could make stopping that guy on reasonable suspicion stand up in court all day long.....it's a no brainer.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-19 6:13 PM

2014-04-19 6:33 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by AndyEWU07

.....and expensive bikes get stolen all the time.  

I would actually think that inexpensive bikes get stolen a lot more than expensive bikes. I would think that for every $3200 that is stolen there are 32 $100 bikes stolen. Most people do a better job securing expensive bikes,. So how should the public help profile the rash of inexpensive bike thefts?
Tell that to Drew Bledsoe who got his $10,000 bike stolen in the very city I live in. Expensive bikes do get stolen often... I see the reports.
I never said expensive bikes do not get stolen I said that inexpensive bikes get stolen more often and asked how we should help the police identify those... which you have not answered. As we stated in this thread there are not many $3000 bikes out there I am not buying that they are the majority of stolen bikes. I would also think that most people don't take the time to report an inexpensive bike theft.

The majority of stolen bikes are not expensive.  The majority of cheap bikes stolen are not reported.  The majority of bikes stolen are not recovered.

What happens to expensive bikes? I would assume that they get parted out or sold out craigslist outside the area?

Lets assume the bike in the OP was stolen. A bike at that cost the owner / selling store probably has the SS# and it is registered with the manufacture. If it was to turn up in the local craigslist I would think they would have a high potential to get caught assuming the owner decides to pay attention. Then again the owner is more than likely going to turn it in to insurance and give up the search after a month.

Craigslisted, Pawned, Sold for Drugs, Sold for food stamps, Traded etc... People involved in petty theft are pretty adept at offloading the property quickly and quietly.
2014-04-19 7:06 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JZig

.....and expensive bikes get stolen all the time.  

I would actually think that inexpensive bikes get stolen a lot more than expensive bikes. I would think that for every $3200 that is stolen there are 32 $100 bikes stolen. Most people do a better job securing expensive bikes,. So how should the public help profile the rash of inexpensive bike thefts?
Tell that to Drew Bledsoe who got his $10,000 bike stolen in the very city I live in. Expensive bikes do get stolen often... I see the reports.
I never said expensive bikes do not get stolen I said that inexpensive bikes get stolen more often and asked how we should help the police identify those... which you have not answered. As we stated in this thread there are not many $3000 bikes out there I am not buying that they are the majority of stolen bikes. I would also think that most people don't take the time to report an inexpensive bike theft.

The majority of stolen bikes are not expensive.  The majority of cheap bikes stolen are not reported.  The majority of bikes stolen are not recovered.

What happens to expensive bikes? I would assume that they get parted out or sold out craigslist outside the area? Lets assume the bike in the OP was stolen. A bike at that cost the owner / selling store probably has the SS# and it is registered with the manufacture. If it was to turn up in the local craigslist I would think they would have a high potential to get caught assuming the owner decides to pay attention. Then again the owner is more than likely going to turn it in to insurance and give up the search after a month.
Craigslisted, Pawned, Sold for Drugs, Sold for food stamps, Traded etc... People involved in petty theft are pretty adept at offloading the property quickly and quietly.

Unfortunately, there is no shortage of people who will buy stolen property cheap.....even, oh, the horror, triathletes.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-19 7:07 PM
2014-04-19 11:02 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by DigitalRain

You called the cops on somebody you felt didn't look like they should have a nice bike?

Do you do the same for people riding in expensive cars that don't look like they can afford it or don't fit the type of person that should have a nice car?

I'm a black person and I've often ridden my bike with regular clothes on. Would you have called the police on me cause I'm riding a bike that you feel I could not have possibly afforded, cause I'm not the TYPE to have an expensive bike?

Unbelievable.

Really? It's 2014, drop the race card... It gets old...

It never gets old for someone who actually deals with racism in 2014.

Edited by Blanda 2014-04-19 11:02 PM
2014-04-20 5:43 AM
in reply to: #4983527

User image

Veteran
I'm guess I am confused about something and I apologize if this is off topic. In this day and age haven't we been encouraged to notify authorities if we see something suspicious? Notify airport security, form neighborhood watch associations. If there was a person parked in a van in your cul de sac that consisted of four houses in a rural area at night would you not consider it suspicious?
2014-04-20 7:24 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Richland, Washington
Originally posted by ccmpsyd

I'm guess I am confused about something and I apologize if this is off topic. In this day and age haven't we been encouraged to notify authorities if we see something suspicious? Notify airport security, form neighborhood watch associations. If there was a person parked in a van in your cul de sac that consisted of four houses in a rural area at night would you not consider it suspicious?

I grew up in California... there, I would say this COULD be more of an issue. Why? Race has nothing to do with this one... it's simply because right now a lot of people in California are hurting financially. Yes, a lot of people are hurting everywhere financially, I get that as well. I'm saying it's bad enough in California that I had a tenant steal the cabinets from my rental and sell them to pay rent. No I'm not kidding. I've bought homes there that had holes cut in the floor for heat.. extension cords run from neighbors houses for electricity and hoses run for water. It's a "if it's unsecured and valuable I can sell it" mentality.

The OP is in Salt Lake City. I live up the canyon in Park City. Cost of living is lower here and while I do understand that people are still hurting financially here it's a lot less than in states like California. Yes, you can call me naive but with the number of tenants I deal with in California, Arizona, Alaska, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Utah, and Montana.... I would say I trust the Utahans the most. Does that mean there are not any "bad apples?" No , not at all... everywhere has them. Should we be on alert for someone riding a $5000 bike that doesn't fit the "stereotype?" I'd say the OP had good intentions, but it wasn't really needed. I sure hope someone doesn't call the cops on me when I get out of the tesla in after I've been working on the house.. or when I'm out of Celery and take the P5 to whole foods in sweats because I don't really want to drive. Do I look like the type that should have those things? Depends, did I just go bike camping for a week, not shave and haven't had my haircut because I've been too busy with training? I look pretty homeless at times (Ask my wife... she put a $10 in my coffee cup that I was holding one morning and told me to get a haircut... ruined the coffee too..) Yes, I leave the keys to my vehicles in them... at all times (otherwise I'd lose them... not kidding...)

Sorry for the ramble....Point is... OP yes, what you did was a bit overkill and people here are judging you because you stereotyped someone.... do I think your heart was in the right place... absolutely. I think you were trying to look out for a fellow triathlete, and for that, I appreciate what you did.

Please don't call the cops on me though...

2014-04-20 9:00 PM
in reply to: Swimaway

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Swimaway
Originally posted by ccmpsyd I'm guess I am confused about something and I apologize if this is off topic. In this day and age haven't we been encouraged to notify authorities if we see something suspicious? Notify airport security, form neighborhood watch associations. If there was a person parked in a van in your cul de sac that consisted of four houses in a rural area at night would you not consider it suspicious?
OP yes, what you did was a bit overkill and people here are judging you because you stereotyped someone

No it wasn't......and she didn't stereotype a person, she stereotyped a situation.  There is a huge difference, and she was right on the money.

2014-04-20 10:42 PM
in reply to: Swimaway

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
I don't know why people in Utah are under the impression that there aren't ghettos here. If you don't think there are desperate people here in survival mode, go drive around Magna sometime, or West Valley or most of Ogden, or Kearns, or the west end of West Jordan, or South Salt Lake.
2014-04-22 10:39 AM
in reply to: JZig

User image

I love this thread, one of my favorite threads ever

Ok the OP only used half the common sense needed to figure out if the person she was profiling didn't look right. A: yes its probably odd to see someone in baggy clothes riding clipless with sneakers on but they missed the most important part and that was the rider was riding in aero. Really how many bike thieves do you think steal a bike then get in aero and ride well in aero at a good clip. Dear lord when I first got my TT bike it was like 6 months before I felt comfortable in aero. You got to follow everything to the conclusion yes they may look odd but the skill on the bike should have been the overall clue they fit to that bike. BIke thieves aren't going to look skilled on a stolen bike.

Last winter they had a challenge to see who could go the longest without shaving (I managed over 7 months September to March) and I commute to work on my bike 2-3 times a week. Near the end they were joking I should make sure I keep a receipt for my bike on me because it may look like a homeless person stole my bike

Glad no one called the cops on me
2014-04-22 10:48 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by sirdizzy I love this thread, one of my favorite threads ever Ok the OP only used half the common sense needed to figure out if the person she was profiling didn't look right. A: yes its probably odd to see someone in baggy clothes riding clipless with sneakers on but they missed the most important part and that was the rider was riding in aero. Really how many bike thieves do you think steal a bike then get in aero and ride well in aero at a good clip. Dear lord when I first got my TT bike it was like 6 months before I felt comfortable in aero. You got to follow everything to the conclusion yes they may look odd but the skill on the bike should have been the overall clue they fit to that bike. BIke thieves aren't going to look skilled on a stolen bike. Last winter they had a challenge to see who could go the longest without shaving (I managed over 7 months September to March) and I commute to work on my bike 2-3 times a week. Near the end they were joking I should make sure I keep a receipt for my bike on me because it may look like a homeless person stole my bike Glad no one called the cops on me

Nah........we've chased 14 and 15 year old kids in cars who drive like Ricky Bobby......the guy probably got on those bars and couldn't get off them. LOL

Just becau8se osme guy is on the aero bars going 30mph downhill screaming, "AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" doesn't mean he's skilled.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-22 10:51 AM
2014-04-22 10:48 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Originally posted by ccmpsyd I'm guess I am confused about something and I apologize if this is off topic. In this day and age haven't we been encouraged to notify authorities if we see something suspicious? Notify airport security, form neighborhood watch associations. If there was a person parked in a van in your cul de sac that consisted of four houses in a rural area at night would you not consider it suspicious?
OP yes, what you did was a bit overkill and people here are judging you because you stereotyped someone

No it wasn't......and she didn't stereotype a person, she stereotyped a situation.  There is a huge difference, and she was right on the money.

Last night, about 2 AM, I looked out the window and saw these two guys across the street loading up a car with things from the neighbor's house. They looked a little sketchy. All the lights were off and I am pretty sure the neighbors are out of town. I was going to call the police but then I remembered this thread and didn't want to be accused of profiling people just because they didn't look quite right. So I ignored it and went back to bed.

Did I do the right thing?

2014-04-22 10:54 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by sirdizzy I love this thread, one of my favorite threads ever Ok the OP only used half the common sense needed to figure out if the person she was profiling didn't look right. A: yes its probably odd to see someone in baggy clothes riding clipless with sneakers on but they missed the most important part and that was the rider was riding in aero. Really how many bike thieves do you think steal a bike then get in aero and ride well in aero at a good clip. Dear lord when I first got my TT bike it was like 6 months before I felt comfortable in aero. You got to follow everything to the conclusion yes they may look odd but the skill on the bike should have been the overall clue they fit to that bike. BIke thieves aren't going to look skilled on a stolen bike. Last winter they had a challenge to see who could go the longest without shaving (I managed over 7 months September to March) and I commute to work on my bike 2-3 times a week. Near the end they were joking I should make sure I keep a receipt for my bike on me because it may look like a homeless person stole my bike Glad no one called the cops on me

Nah........we've chased 14 and 15 year old kids in cars who drive like Ricky Bobby......the guy probably got on those bars and couldn't get off them. LOL

Just becau8se osme guy is on the aero bars going 30mph downhill screaming, "AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" doesn't mean he's skilled.

I want a video of that hahaha some guy on a stolen bike in aero going down a hill screaming ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, and the hills are steep enough here I am doing 55 in aero going downhill I might be screaming too
2014-04-22 11:13 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by wannabefaster

Last night, about 2 AM, I looked out the window and saw these two guys across the street loading up a car with things from the neighbor's house. They looked a little sketchy. All the lights were off and I am pretty sure the neighbors are out of town. I was going to call the police but then I remembered this thread and didn't want to be accused of profiling people just because they didn't look quite right. So I ignored it and went back to bed. Did I do the right thing?

Obviously your neighbors work late and  did not want to dsiturb the rest of the residents so they did not have any lights on.  That seems perfectly legit. 

They were only thinking of you and you should thank them with a friendly note on their door.  Something like:  "Thanks for being so quiet and respectful when you moved your stuff out in the middle of the night.  I appreciate sincere neighbors like you" 

2014-04-22 11:17 AM
in reply to: KatieLimb

So has there been any threads on any cycling or tri forums about someone getting their Shiv stolen? Even if the owner doesn't post you would think that 6 degrees of separation would lead to someone linking the thread.
2014-04-22 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by Sidney Porter So has there been any threads on any cycling or tri forums about someone getting their Shiv stolen? Even if the owner doesn't post you would think that 6 degrees of separation would lead to someone linking the thread.

I'd like to see how ST would approach this exact same OP'er comment.  Do you think that forum would react differently?  Hmmmmmm

2014-04-22 11:35 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Originally posted by wannabefaster

Last night, about 2 AM, I looked out the window and saw these two guys across the street loading up a car with things from the neighbor's house. They looked a little sketchy. All the lights were off and I am pretty sure the neighbors are out of town. I was going to call the police but then I remembered this thread and didn't want to be accused of profiling people just because they didn't look quite right. So I ignored it and went back to bed. Did I do the right thing?

Obviously your neighbors work late and  did not want to dsiturb the rest of the residents so they did not have any lights on.  That seems perfectly legit. 

They were only thinking of you and you should thank them with a friendly note on their door.  Something like:  "Thanks for being so quiet and respectful when you moved your stuff out in the middle of the night.  I appreciate sincere neighbors like you" 

Or he lives next to the Baltimore Colts.

2014-04-22 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM

So has there been any threads on any cycling or tri forums about someone getting their Shiv stolen? Even if the owner doesn't post you would think that 6 degrees of separation would lead to someone linking the thread.

Actually, yes.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Fo...
2014-04-22 12:13 PM
in reply to: AndyEWU07

User image

Austin

I don't want to touch this thread with a 10 foot pole at this point, but in my area we have had 20+ bikes stolen in the last 2 months.

I would call our non emergency number for anyone I saw riding a tri/tt bike without looking the part right now just to help the police track down the people taking the bikes.

Higher end bikes have been targeted, people breaking in going just for the bikes and leaving everything else in the house alone.

But that's in my hood, to each their own.

2014-04-22 12:15 PM
in reply to: sirdizzy

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by sirdizzy

I want a video of that hahaha some guy on a stolen bike in aero going down a hill screaming ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, and the hills are steep enough here I am doing 55 in aero going downhill I might be screaming too

Maybe your just uncoordinated! I was in the aerobars almost immediately with little issues.

Stealing tri bikes might be the guy's profession in which case he would be very good at riding aero.

I think she did the right thing, would I have called the police in the same situation- maybe. Have I called the police at 5 am on a morning run to tell them a car was driving up and down the streets of a neighborhood at 5-10 mph to tell them it didn't look right- yes.

2014-04-22 12:17 PM
in reply to: jetsers

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jetsers

I don't want to touch this thread with a 10 foot pole at this point, but in my area we have had 20+ bikes stolen in the last 2 months.

I would call our non emergency number for anyone I saw riding a tri/tt bike without looking the part right now just to help the police track down the people taking the bikes.

Higher end bikes have been targeted, people breaking in going just for the bikes and leaving everything else in the house alone.

But that's in my hood, to each their own.

That happens.  Someone found an outlet for getting rid of high end bikes (or any specific equipment) .

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What would you think? Stolen? Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Wait ...uh....someone stole.....I think.....wtf Pages: 1 2

Started by DV 1
Views: 3563 Posts: 47

2013-05-15 11:53 AM bufordt

Woman, 25, spots her stolen bike on Craigslist... and 'steals' it back after posing as a buyer

Started by trishie
Views: 2180 Posts: 8

2011-11-13 8:29 PM 1stTimeTri

Bicycle stolen in transition?

Started by ACE
Views: 1217 Posts: 12

2005-04-07 4:42 PM TypeA Girl Pilot

Stolen Bike!

Started by gymyflipper
Views: 1058 Posts: 22

2004-08-04 9:38 AM tmwelshy

Steals and Deals