General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What would you think? Stolen? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2014-04-18 11:12 AM

User image

Utah
Subject: What would you think? Stolen?
I was in driving home from downtown yesterday, towards a freeway on ramp, and not in a great part of town. I notice a cyclist going pretty fast, and from behind I could tell he was riding in aero. I immiately think TRIATHLETE! And go to check out his bike. As I got closer in my car, I notice it is a sweet Specialized Shiv. However, the guy riding it didn't match the bike. He was late teens, early 20s, in baggy jeans, oversized jersey, sneakers, etc, looked like a gang banger. I then thought, he just stole that bike! I didn't know what to think or do, I called the police and told them where I was and what I saw, and gave them my contact info then headed on my way.

Now, before anyone says I should have followed him til police got there, etc, I am a female, by myself at this point, in a bad part of town. I did what I was comfortable with doing considering the circumstances, but I still feel guilty I didn't do more.

What would you have done? I ran this by other people and triathletes and one said I was judging a book by its cover, and it is possible it wasn't stolen. I guess that is a VERY small possibility, but I doubt it. To the guys credit, he was able to ride pretty well in aero at a fast speed, and not many people can usually do that with out some practice.

Weigh in, BT!

2014-04-18 11:24 AM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: What would you think? Stolen?
I'm going to say you were possibly judging a book by its cover, but I'm sure all of our Spidey Senses would have been tingling on that one. I wouldn't have called the cops on the guy. For all you know, he is a damn fine up & coming triathlete who was just coming home from school/practice/girlfriend's house & because he is so young, his tri bike is the only bike he has. Not everyone will put a tri kit on to go from point A to point B.

Just my two cents.
2014-04-18 11:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Was he wearing bike shoes? I assume someone with a Shiv isnt riding on flat pedals. That would be the indicator for me. If he was wearing sneakers and pushing on real pedals...
2014-04-18 11:46 AM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Meathead I'm going to say you were possibly judging a book by its cover, but I'm sure all of our Spidey Senses would have been tingling on that one. I wouldn't have called the cops on the guy. For all you know, he is a damn fine up & coming triathlete who was just coming home from school/practice/girlfriend's house & because he is so young, his tri bike is the only bike he has. Not everyone will put a tri kit on to go from point A to point B. Just my two cents.

x2

I have ridden to the Farmers Market more than once on my tri bike and in street clothes. I have commuted to work on my tri bike lugging a back pack, loose clothes sometimes, hair flying around a mess. 

I would have done a double take, but not my place to judge someone intentions based on their attire.

2014-04-18 11:48 AM

Originally posted by KatieLimb

However, the guy riding it didn't match the bike. He was late teens, early 20s, in baggy jeans, oversized jersey, sneakers, etc, looked like a gang banger.

What made him look like a gang banger? What you described sounds like popular fashion for that age.
2014-04-18 12:02 PM

User image

Utah
He was in sneakers, not cycling shoes. He also wore no helmet, but a bandana around his head, and large guages in his ears. Maybe I was judging, but given how nothing on him looked like "triathlete", I was suspicious.

2014-04-18 12:04 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

The fact that he was riding at a good clip and in aero, with sneakers on top of the pedals, probably would indicate that he knew what he was doing and it was his bike.

In any event, I doubt that he was actually confronted by the cops. You'd have to think that would be a pretty low priority call. He's riding fast and could be going in any direction and could be miles away by the time they respond, so I'd bet they chose not to respond.

2014-04-18 12:12 PM

User image

Probably looked odd.  But I wouldn't have called the cops.  Just like I wouldn't call the cops if I saw a similar looking guy driving a $100k Mercedes.

2014-04-18 12:20 PM

User image

We do pedestrian checks all the time. We also apprehend criminals all the time thanks to the public... Like a second set of eyes for law enforcement. If something does not look right, citizens are generally encouraged to call in and report it. Whether or not if he owned the bike or not, what's the worst that can happen? LE stops him and everything checks out.

Since the majority of burglaries occurs during the day, this person did not necessarily match the bike, I'd say you did a good job as a citizen in your community.

If I saw someone like that in my housing development just walking around, I'd call in a suspicious person since he did not match the type of people who live near me.

We all have our own opinions... I'm judgemental, I'm a Deputy!
2014-04-18 12:21 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Was there a bike shop nearby? He could've been a mechanic who was checking out a repair/adjustment after he took it off the workstand.

• ..or maybe he was the owner of the bike doing the same thing (checking out a fix he just did). I've done that: fixed something, gotten on in my street clothes and shoes and checked out the repair for a mile or so before more fine-tuning.

• 2014-04-18 12:23 PM
    in reply to: AndyEWU07

User image

Originally posted by AndyEWU07 We do pedestrian checks all the time. We also apprehend criminals all the time thanks to the public... Like a second set of eyes for law enforcement. If something does not look right, citizens are generally encouraged to call in and report it. Whether or not if he owned the bike or not, what's the worst that can happen? LE stops him and everything checks out. Since the majority of burglaries occurs during the day, this person did not necessarily match the bike, I'd say you did a good job as a citizen in your community. If I saw someone like that in my housing development just walking around, I'd call in a suspicious person since he did not match the type of people who live near me. We all have our own opinions... I'm judgemental, I'm a Deputy!

Just curious.  If the dispatcher forwarded you the OP's tip, and you saw the rider and bike...what exactly would you say to him? 

2014-04-18 12:50 PM
    in reply to: 0

Originally posted by AndyEWU07

Whether or not if he owned the bike or not, what's the worst that can happen? LE stops him and everything checks out.

The worst thing would be his forth admendment rights could be violated.

edit: I don't think riding a tri bike in normal clothes is sufficient reasons to stop and interrogate a person.

Edited by Sidney Porter 2014-04-18 12:52 PM
    2014-04-18 12:55 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
    Bronze member

If I saw someone like that in my housing development just walking around, I'd call in a suspicious person since he did not match the type of people who live near me.  

What "type" of person is that?

2014-04-18 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
    Plaquemine, Louisiana
    You called the cops on somebody you felt didn't look like they should have a nice bike?

Do you do the same for people riding in expensive cars that don't look like they can afford it or don't fit the type of person that should have a nice car?

I'm a black person and I've often ridden my bike with regular clothes on. Would you have called the police on me cause I'm riding a bike that you feel I could not have possibly afforded, cause I'm not the TYPE to have an expensive bike?

Unbelievable.

Edited by DigitalRain 2014-04-18 2:03 PM
    2014-04-18 2:11 PM
    in reply to: DigitalRain

User image

Originally posted by DigitalRain

You called the cops on somebody you felt didn't look like they should have a nice bike?

Do you do the same for people riding in expensive cars that don't look like they can afford it or don't fit the type of person that should have a nice car?

I'm a black person and I've often ridden my bike with regular clothes on. Would you have called the police on me cause I'm riding a bike that you feel I could not have possibly afforded, cause I'm not the TYPE to have an expensive bike?

Unbelievable.

Really? It's 2014, drop the race card... It gets old...
    2014-04-18 2:13 PM

User image

Originally posted by Sidney Porter

Whether or not if he owned the bike or not, what's the worst that can happen? LE stops him and everything checks out.

edit: I don't think riding a tri bike in normal clothes is sufficient reasons to stop and interrogate a person.

Stopping and having a consensual contact with someone not a violation of your 4th amendment... It's SEARCH and SEIZURE... Not consensual contacts.

Edited by AndyEWU07 2014-04-18 2:13 PM

2014-04-18 2:23 PM

Stopping and having a consensual contact with someone not a violation of your 4th amendment... It's SEARCH and SEIZURE... Not consensual contacts.

I understand that. You specifically said what is the worst thing that could happen. You answer was "LE stops him and everything checks out". Personally I think that is the best thing that could happen.
    2014-04-18 2:24 PM

User image

Originally posted by AndyEWU07 Whether or not if he owned the bike or not, what's the worst that can happen? LE stops him and everything checks out.
    The worst thing would be his forth admendment rights could be violated. edit: I don't think riding a tri bike in normal clothes is sufficient reasons to stop and interrogate a person.

Right...in other words, you can ask him to stop and talk...and he has every right to blow you off.

2014-04-18 2:28 PM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia

And if that person didn't want to consent to said contact because, say, they were late to wherever they were headed? Would you just go about your way or would you consider the fact they wanted to go on their way without having a chat with you as suspicious & then detain said individual?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I do have the utmost respect for the police, but I do have to agree that in this case, it seems like a pretty far reach to stop the kid.

I'm pretty sure this entire thread has been dancing around a full deck of race cards. She was just the first one to call it out.
    2014-04-18 2:33 PM

User image

Veteran
    Plaquemine, Louisiana

Unbelievable.

Does it? After reading your first post, I'm not the least surprised you believe people play"race cards".
    2014-04-18 2:44 PM

User image

Pro
    Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by KatieLimb I was in driving home from downtown yesterday, towards a freeway on ramp, and not in a great part of town. I notice a cyclist going pretty fast, and from behind I could tell he was riding in aero. I immiately think TRIATHLETE! And go to check out his bike. As I got closer in my car, I notice it is a sweet Specialized Shiv. However, the guy riding it didn't match the bike. He was late teens, early 20s, in baggy jeans, oversized jersey, sneakers, etc, looked like a gang banger. I then thought, he just stole that bike! I didn't know what to think or do, I called the police and told them where I was and what I saw, and gave them my contact info then headed on my way. Now, before anyone says I should have followed him til police got there, etc, I am a female, by myself at this point, in a bad part of town. I did what I was comfortable with doing considering the circumstances, but I still feel guilty I didn't do more. What would you have done? I ran this by other people and triathletes and one said I was judging a book by its cover, and it is possible it wasn't stolen. I guess that is a VERY small possibility, but I doubt it. To the guys credit, he was able to ride pretty well in aero at a fast speed, and not many people can usually do that with out some practice. Weigh in, BT!

The way you described this and the words you choose are scary.

"the guy riding it didn't match the bike" I see that at every triathlon I do! Some probably think I have to much bike for myself

"Looked like a gang banger"- wow

" VERY small possibility"- IMO, you saw what you wanted to see

I would have not called the police...

2014-04-18 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
    Redding, CA

I've had my house burglarized. They took off on my mountain bikes carrying duffel bags full of electronics and other valuables. Nobody in the neighborhood noticed a thing. 2 guys riding bikes in their street clothes carrying duffel bags in a neighborhood could easily have looked like high school kids on their way from one's house to the other. On the other hand it's unusual enough that I might have wondered if they were up to no good. If an officer stopped and asked them what they were up to it might have made a difference.

I might have reported it just as you did for the very reason that this has happened to me.

2014-04-18 2:54 PM

User image

New user
    Kingston, Ontario
    Now from the look of my profile pic i seem like a legit family guy however some days on my bike i look like i just stole a bike. I'm covered with tattoos and sometimes just wear a hat backwards. I also sometimes use pedals instead of clipping my feet in. all depending what I'm doing that day on the bike. I definitely come across as possibly DIFFERENT maybe in your view however it seems pretty normal to me.. Yah definitely judged a book by its cover..
    2014-04-18 2:58 PM
    in reply to: Jason N

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by AndyEWU07 Whether or not if he owned the bike or not, what's the worst that can happen? LE stops him and everything checks out.
    The worst thing would be his forth admendment rights could be violated. edit: I don't think riding a tri bike in normal clothes is sufficient reasons to stop and interrogate a person.

Right...in other words, you can ask him to stop and talk...and he has every right to blow you off.

You are 100% correct... If that happens, you let him ride off in the sunset! If you don't even try and later the bike is reported stolen, the public complains the LE did nothing... Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    2014-04-18 3:01 PM
    in reply to: DigitalRain

User image

Unbelievable.

Does it? After reading your first post, I'm not the least surprised you believe people play"race cards".

Where in my first post did I ever mention black people? Really, get over yourself... If this helps, I dislike A LOT more white than black people.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What would you think? Stolen? Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Wait ...uh....someone stole.....I think.....wtf Pages: 1 2

Started by DV 1
    Views: 3563 Posts: 47

2013-05-15 11:53 AM bufordt

Woman, 25, spots her stolen bike on Craigslist... and 'steals' it back after posing as a buyer

Started by trishie
    Views: 2182 Posts: 8

2011-11-13 8:29 PM 1stTimeTri

Bicycle stolen in transition?

Started by ACE
    Views: 1219 Posts: 12

2005-04-07 4:42 PM TypeA Girl Pilot

Stolen Bike!

Started by gymyflipper
    Views: 1058 Posts: 22

2004-08-04 9:38 AM tmwelshy

Steals and Deals