General Discussion Triathlon Talk » building a training program ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-18 3:13 PM

User image

Subject: building a training program ?
I think I've decided to enter my first triathlon, in about 11 weeks. I've looked at various training programs, but they don't feel like they fit so well for me so I'm sort of thinking I'm going to create my own...but since I don't really know what I'm doing wouldn't mind feedback. I'll either be doing a sprint or a noncompetitive try-a-tri. My goal is just to finish without killing or injuring myself.

Currently, I comfortably run 4 miles a day three days a week. It's been a while since I did any swim training (about 9 months), but I can pretty easily swim a half mile in the pool. Open water swimming is something I haven't done, nor is wearing a wetsuit. Biking is fairly new for me and I've just bought a new bike. But I am in pretty good shape and could do each event individually with no problem.

My thought was that for the next month, I would continue running three days a week and bike twice a week. I can bike 5 miles to and from work (so 10 miles a day) a couple of times a week and have done that several times. I thought I'd continue this schedule without much change for several more weeks, breaking my body into biking, possibly adding in a longer bike once a week. I'll then be in Mexico for a week and pretty much will only be able to use an elliptical or stationary bike, so will do that at least five days for 45 minutes to an hour.

After returning from my vacation I'll have about two months to really focus on training. To be honest, I really don't want to decrease the length of my runs and my run fitness (or increase them for that matter)...this is what I really need to maintain for my personal comfort, stress management, and weight. So I was hoping to just keep up the 4 mile runs three times a week, bike twice a week at increasing mileage, and swim twice a week. It seems that at I should probably overlap those workouts at least once a week with one day off? Or is two days off with more overlap better?

For three of the last five weeks before the tri, I'll be living at 6000 feet elevation....I can bike, run and swim there and practice some open water swimming with a wetsuit. I figured I would mostly focus on being able to do above each distance (so a 4 mile run, a 15 mile bike and a half mile swim) individually, with two days a week where I overlapped two of those activities (likely shortening one...so biking 15 miles and running two, or running four miles and swimming a half a mile, etc). I suspect that just being really active at that elevation for 3 weeks will make things much easier for me on the race day.

Does this sound reasonable, or do I need to design more structure? Am I totally deceiving myself that I'd be ready, or am I overtraining at all?

2014-04-18 9:41 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Subject: RE: building a training program ?
Your plan definitely reasonable for your first tri. You sound a lot like me last year-- I am a runner first, so I always ran at least four times per week (although often longer than 4 miles, sometimes for up to 90 minutes). I was swimming 2-3 times per week, once with a class/coach and usually two swims on my own. My swims were about an hour with routines and drills giving to me by the coach. For cycling I'd do at least one outdoor ride per week plus one or two indoor spin workouts. In fact, for my first tri-a-tri I hadn't been doing any cycling at all-- I didn't even own a bike. I borrowed my son's mountain bike and did the 7 mile bike in my running shoes. Only afterwards I bought a cross bike, and then did two sprints later in the spring and summer. When I was getting read for the sprints, I tried to do at least one "long" ride each week of about 60-90 minutes (long for me).

My tris were all in pools so I didn't have to worry about the wetsuit thing. You might not need one if you are in a lake and it's reasonably warm, especially if your distance is only about 400-500m.

Keep it fun. People who have been doing this for a while get really into the training routines and gear and stuff but it can be a bit overwhelming when you're just starting out. It doesn't need to be complicated for your first race. If you enjoy it and want to get more into the training, you can do a more structured training plan next year.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » building a training program ? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Trainer Road Base Build Programs Pages: 1 2

Started by TriDadinAsheville
Views: 4557 Posts: 35

2013-11-18 7:27 AM brigby1

Base training to training program

Started by lamarvenoy
Views: 884 Posts: 6

2012-02-08 12:55 AM beebs

HIM Training BT Training Program

Started by ddahms
Views: 907 Posts: 5

2012-01-30 11:06 AM ddahms

Training Program Question - Brick Training?

Started by Celly
Views: 918 Posts: 5

2007-04-01 6:52 PM cadreamer

Help with running base building program

Started by boneyBP
Views: 1433 Posts: 6

2006-09-19 11:19 AM boneyBP
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2012
author : TINKARRA
comments : 0
Most of the races are flat here, but I live in the area where I could do hilly rides with 1500-2000m of climbing. Is there much benefit with that if I am racing flat?

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.

date : February 16, 2009
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. For month two, we are increasing the intensity and duration of the workouts.
date : January 18, 2009
comments : 2
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. This program can get you fit and ready to then start any of our sprint or olympic triathlon training programs.

date : October 22, 2008
author : Curt Chesney
What training do you do during your off season? Any advice on what to aim for? Should I focus on building a better base?
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.