General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1/2 marathon question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-19 11:40 AM

North Richland Hills, Texas
Subject: 1/2 marathon question
I'm training for my first 1/2 marathon. I usually do Sprint Tri's and have done a couple of Oly's years ago. This will be my longest run distance in 20+ years. Question: Will running on mostly grass for my long runs hurt me when it comes to running the actual race on all concrete? Hurt me as in will I be able to finish? I'll be building to about 12 miles before the race. I'm concerned about the conditioning aspect of my legs being used to the pounding on the concrete. I'm just a very average runner / tri guy getting back into it after year of not. Sorry for the long post.

2014-04-19 12:35 PM
in reply to: HendleyK

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: 1/2 marathon question
Your concern is well-placed. I would recommend to include more training on the same surfaces that you'll be racing on, so that it comes as less of a shock to your system. A HM race can beat your legs up, and the beating will be greater if you're not accustomed to running on harder surfaces.
2014-04-19 1:18 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
I am equal parts shocked that you can find 12 miles of grass to run on and that there's a half marathon that consists entirely of concrete.

In any case, yes. You'll definitely want to get in at least a couple of your long runs and probably several shorter ones on a harder surface. It won't take long to adapt, but in my experience you'll need 2-3 runs on a different surface for your feet and legs to be used to it.
2014-04-19 3:25 PM
in reply to: JZig

New user
Key West
I agree with the previous posters. I would also be concerned that you actually might hurt yourself running longer distances on grass only because of the potential for uneven surfaces (so ankle and knee and hip issues). But, if it is a nice even surface, then just the runs mentioned above to get you prepared should do the trick. Good luck.
2014-04-19 3:41 PM
in reply to: JZig

I would recommend some long runs on pavement. I recently ran my first half too, and did most of my long runs on crushed gravel, the road race hurt my ankles/feet a bit!
2014-04-20 12:13 AM
in reply to: VGT

I ran trails almost exclusively all winter and when I started hitting the pavement hard I paid for it. My lower legs were in agony. You may be able to finish your half but be prepared for some possible serious lower leg pain. I would recommend doing some pavement training. Ease into it. Good luck in your half!

2014-04-20 6:10 AM
in reply to: VGT

Trained on trails/gravel for my first HM.
Knees ached like crazy.

For the second one I trained half trail/gravel and half road.
I had no joint/knee issues on the same course that time.

Roads tear me up, but I know I have to train on them at least a little bit.
Try your medium length runs on asphalt, and maybe one or two long runs.
2014-04-20 12:00 PM

User image

Elite

I just lived this. I train almost exclusively on trail and dirt roads but try to run once a week on the pavement.  Almost all the half marathons/marathons I do are completely on pavement. I ran the Salt Lake City Half yesterday and my legs are in agony today.  It's just what happens.  I'll stretch and keep moving today and I'll recover and be fine--but I always know the next day is going to hurt.

2014-04-20 9:01 PM
in reply to: 0

I was a runner before becoming an elderly triathlete. Running mostly on grass can be beneficial to saving your knees (and other body parts) but I agree with others...you should train on other surfaces...likely the type of surface you'll be running the half marathon.

Finishing? What is your goal? What pace are you planning on running? Is there a time you'd like to finish by?...or do you simply want to finish?

Most serious runners will say that "putting in the miles" is the answer. Bottom line...run easy...run long...recover...and do it again.

Now that I'm old, perhaps you could do the same thing I do when I run a half-marathon....follow a nice looking woman running a nice easy pace.

Edited by bonsai3s 2014-04-20 9:02 PM
2014-04-21 3:29 PM
in reply to: bonsai3s

North Richland Hills, Texas
Thanks for the feedback. I'll be running all on concrete for the race. Hoping to do about 10 min / mile. Doing 8:30 per for 4 miles now. Up to 7.5 miles now. Sometimes all concrete and sometimes 1/2 grass and 1/2 concrete. I'll be mixing up my runs but I'm trying to stay injury free for the next 8 weeks. so I need the grass. I like the comment about the cute girl...Don't tell my wife.
2014-04-21 3:48 PM

I've done the run-all trails before road races on hard pavement. 

Honestly, it will not make a difference if you are training correctly. 

The sore legs post-race are far more likely a function of running fast or far for your level of fitness. 

I guarantee if you're cranking out 13mile long runs on all-grass or trails with no problem, and then switch to pavement with no increase in speed on race day, you will have no added soreness or injury risk. 

I think a lot of folks skip doing speedwork or hard runs on grass/trails, which leads them to think the impact of the road is what's killing them, but it's definitely not, given how not an issue it will be if you put in the requisite training miles regardless of surface.

2014-04-22 5:07 PM

I'm 56 and ran a 1:45 on my last half-marathon last November. (Yes, I was following a nice blond again...my wife figured it out a long time ago.)

But seriously...you can easily do a 10 minute pace for the race. To avoid injuries, make sure not try new things before the race. For example, new shoes or even a new stride. I was a "heel-striker" for years and in my attempt to run faster, I tried to be a "front foot striker" that only resulted in injuring my calves. Before and after your daily runs, hydrate and eat well to provide good "fuel" for your body....and lastly, don't forget to give yourself a chance to recover.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1/2 marathon question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Myrtle Beach Marathon question...

Started by atostig
Views: 1172 Posts: 10

2008-11-13 5:03 PM Jeepguy2358

Chicago Marathon Question....

Started by bkfitz
Views: 881 Posts: 2

2007-10-03 10:47 PM chirunner134

Half marathon questions

Started by adameldridge
Views: 741 Posts: 3

2007-08-19 11:15 PM adameldridge

Half marathon questions Pages: 1 2

Started by adameldridge
Views: 1807 Posts: 44

2007-08-22 3:45 PM ScottoNM

oh runners, back to my half marathon question...

Started by autumn
Views: 752 Posts: 15

2004-09-24 9:07 AM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 5, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
The grand pull to Kona is both a product of our sport's mythology, marketing, and the intangible desires that each create.
date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.