General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-04-23 10:39 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Subject: RE: Boston
Originally posted by crowny2

Originally posted by navbtcret Thank you all for the kind words. I am Ron by the way. I was doing great to blow my PR away up until mile 22. I was going for a sub 3:20 and came through the hills feeling great and then the wheels came off. I have never cramped in a race before but I did Monday, I got one of those cramps in my left calf that wake you up from a dead sleep and almost went down. I had to stop and work it out but it kept coming back. I actually went to a med tent about mile 23.5 or it might have been 24.5 because I really needed something to drink and eat, I ate 6 gels during the race and was drinking at every aide station but it obviously was not enough. While getting some water and a banana there they want me to go into the tent and get checked out to which I replied thank you but absolutely not, I am just cramping and I will finish. So out I went and struggled with hopes of at least coming in under 3:30 so I could qualify for next year but that was not be either. I usually have a kick left for the last 1/2 mile but not Monday, I was hobbling badly as I crossed the line but it still felt so good. I have no regrets at all, I ran the race as I had planned, maybe just a little faster than I should have but I really wanted the sub 3:20 there at Boston my PR is a 3:24 so I was being very aggressive. I said I was going to do it or blow up trying and I went boom. I am not using this as an excuse either, I was just coming off a bout of pneumonia, I was finally feeling well about two weeks out. Now I have to find a race this summer to qualify at to return next year. I still have some unfinished business with the course. It has to be the summer because I am running a 24 hour race Memorial day weekend and I have a 100 miler in September. I also ran a 100 miler the 1st of February this year and the Tobacco Road marathon 6 weeks before Boston. Good job to everyone from here who ran the marathon, the crowd energy was just amazing.

How are you feeling today?  Keep a close eye on how you are feeling.  Severe cramping and continuing to race through those cramps can potentially screw with your kidney.  I'm not saying it will with you but it is worth keeping a VERY close eye on it.  

alfI am feeling good, I actually ran yesterday 1.6 miles and just got done with 3.3 miles today. It was just my left calf and I think I was a bit dehydrated. I normally pee around mile 18-22 but I did not have to go until about two hours after the race and that was following a couple bottles of water, gatorade and about 5 beers too.

2014-04-23 5:50 PM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by colinphillips
Originally posted by thebigb

Yep, I got to hook up with the infamous Salty. Regardless of finish times and goals, this is probably the best PR out there. It was short but she's every bit as cool and awesome as you would expect. 

For a minute there I thought this was the beer thread that's going on right now. The Rebel IPA in the background is a pretty good brew. "West Coast IPA" is just the kind of thing I'd expect you two to be drinking. ... Though in Salty's case I'd normally expect it to be the night before the race.
Maybe the fact that I didn't is why I got sick, eh? Sorry triathletes I heavily encouraged B-rad to convert to run only. Glad we got to meet for a few!
2014-04-24 12:04 PM
in reply to: navbtcret

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by navbtcret
Originally posted by crowny2

Originally posted by navbtcret Thank you all for the kind words. I am Ron by the way. I was doing great to blow my PR away up until mile 22. I was going for a sub 3:20 and came through the hills feeling great and then the wheels came off. I have never cramped in a race before but I did Monday, I got one of those cramps in my left calf that wake you up from a dead sleep and almost went down. I had to stop and work it out but it kept coming back. I actually went to a med tent about mile 23.5 or it might have been 24.5 because I really needed something to drink and eat, I ate 6 gels during the race and was drinking at every aide station but it obviously was not enough. While getting some water and a banana there they want me to go into the tent and get checked out to which I replied thank you but absolutely not, I am just cramping and I will finish. So out I went and struggled with hopes of at least coming in under 3:30 so I could qualify for next year but that was not be either. I usually have a kick left for the last 1/2 mile but not Monday, I was hobbling badly as I crossed the line but it still felt so good. I have no regrets at all, I ran the race as I had planned, maybe just a little faster than I should have but I really wanted the sub 3:20 there at Boston my PR is a 3:24 so I was being very aggressive. I said I was going to do it or blow up trying and I went boom. I am not using this as an excuse either, I was just coming off a bout of pneumonia, I was finally feeling well about two weeks out. Now I have to find a race this summer to qualify at to return next year. I still have some unfinished business with the course. It has to be the summer because I am running a 24 hour race Memorial day weekend and I have a 100 miler in September. I also ran a 100 miler the 1st of February this year and the Tobacco Road marathon 6 weeks before Boston. Good job to everyone from here who ran the marathon, the crowd energy was just amazing.

How are you feeling today?  Keep a close eye on how you are feeling.  Severe cramping and continuing to race through those cramps can potentially screw with your kidney.  I'm not saying it will with you but it is worth keeping a VERY close eye on it.  

alfI am feeling good, I actually ran yesterday 1.6 miles and just got done with 3.3 miles today. It was just my left calf and I think I was a bit dehydrated. I normally pee around mile 18-22 but I did not have to go until about two hours after the race and that was following a couple bottles of water, gatorade and about 5 beers too.

Good to hear.  Congrats again!  Great photo too.  

2014-04-24 2:03 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by Asalzwed
Originally posted by colinphillips
Originally posted by thebigb

Yep, I got to hook up with the infamous Salty. Regardless of finish times and goals, this is probably the best PR out there. It was short but she's every bit as cool and awesome as you would expect. 

For a minute there I thought this was the beer thread that's going on right now. The Rebel IPA in the background is a pretty good brew. "West Coast IPA" is just the kind of thing I'd expect you two to be drinking. ... Though in Salty's case I'd normally expect it to be the night before the race.
Maybe the fact that I didn't is why I got sick, eh? Sorry triathletes I heavily encouraged B-rad to convert to run only. Glad we got to meet for a few!

Well, at least for next year, hopefully I'm blaming the lack of beer prior on my getting sick too. Unfortunately, the massive quantities afterwards seemed to have been too little too late. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Boston Area Master's?

Started by BrianPBN
Views: 696 Posts: 1

2004-12-16 12:25 PM BrianPBN

Possible to run 4:00 Boston with 30mpw?

Started by Yoshiko
Views: 1422 Posts: 14

2014-04-22 8:27 AM Sidney Porter

boston tufts 10K

Started by nikki
Views: 537 Posts: 1

2004-10-12 9:14 AM nikki

Boston area peeps

Started by TriMom217
Views: 850 Posts: 7

2004-04-28 8:40 AM TriMom217

Boston Marathon

Started by TriMom217
Views: 722 Posts: 4

2004-04-15 7:42 AM LJSChicago
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.