Other Resources The Political Joe » Cliven Bundy - States Rights Patriot or Domestic Terrorist? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-04-20 9:33 AM

User image

Elite
Reno
Subject: Cliven Bundy - States Rights Patriot or Domestic Terrorist?
Interesting times inNevada.

. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/04/15/everythin...

Edited by bootygirl 2014-04-20 9:34 AM

2014-04-20 10:26 AM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Cliven Bundy - States Rights Patriot or Domestic Terrorist?

Good article.  I was aware that this was going on, but was missing many details of it.

I don't know if I would call him a domestic terrorist, but I don't agree with what he is doing.  His family and himself seem to be using violence and threats of violence to get their ways.  Which is almost always in the wrong in my book.  Western states have interesting laws regarding public lands, and the amount of land that is public is staggering.  The way I see it though is that this land belongs to everyone, not just those that want to graze it.  To me the habitat is worth more then the cows - I don't eat beef, and I don't care to eat beef. 

As far as his claims that he has the right to be there because his forefathers were there is a terrible argument.  I'm pretty sure your forefathers kicked someone else off that land and claimed it as theirs.

Should be an interesting story to watch.

2014-04-20 11:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Ranchers have been arguing and fighting with everyone over grazing rights forever.......meh. 

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-20 11:59 AM
2014-04-20 1:18 PM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Just need a little compromise here to make this work.  The cattle should be allowed to graze freely as long as they are equipped with solar panels and purchase coverage under the ACA.  The land should also become a preserve for the desert tortoise and wild horses, along with being designated a permanent national nuclear waste repository.  There, I think I covered all the bases with that proposal.

2014-04-20 9:48 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Pro

I'm trying to figure out what the guy with the rifle on the overpass is thinking.   Hell, even the guy with the camera can kill him.  LMAO

2014-04-21 8:20 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

I'm trying to figure out what the guy with the rifle on the overpass is thinking.   Hell, even the guy with the camera can kill him.  LMAO

I sure home he made the "MILITA SIGHN IN." on time.

Wouldn't putting your name on that list be something you'd want to avoid?

2014-04-21 8:48 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

It's hard to say who's watching those boneeads..... but I know this.. if the chit hits the fan I'm not fighting with the folks who write "MILITA SIGHN IN".  

2014-04-21 9:09 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

This whole Bundy thing is kind of interesting.

There's no question Bundy doesn't have a legal leg to stand on because they have changed the grazing laws in order to clamp down on what he's doing.  The law is what it is and he is in violation.

There is certainly some fascinating discussions going on about "why" they changed the laws with everything from turtle conservation to solar power plants going in, but it's really hard to differentiate the "conspiracy theories" from the truth.  Overall, I find it fascinating how the local governments are supporting Bundy and the Feds are generally backing down (at least for now).

If anything, it's an interesting example of the 2nd Amendment giving the people "right or wrong" the ability to stand up to the government.  Now granted, if the Feds wanted to level the place, they would absolutely win but politically they would lose so they don't.

2014-04-21 9:21 AM

User image

Pro

It's hard to say who's watching those boneeads..... but I know this.. if the chit hits the fan I'm not fighting with the folks who write "MILITA SIGHN IN".  

The thing is, if something did go down, it's certain the government would win any armed conflict, but all that would do is inflame the militias and anti-government conspiracy theorists.

By the way, is what the militias are doing legal? I would think there's multiple laws about pointing weapons at Federal officials.

2014-04-21 9:31 AM

User image

Pro

The thing is, if something did go down, it's certain the government would win any armed conflict, but all that would do is inflame the militias and anti-government conspiracy theorists.

By the way, is what the militias are doing legal? I would think there's multiple laws about pointing weapons at Federal officials.

Yeah, I don't know what the heck is going on with that.  I know if we were at a "disturbance" and someone pointed a gun at us it would likely end poorly for the gun pointer.  I don't have any idea how that goofball can do what he's doing unless nobody knew he was.  Dying over a bunch cows seems stupid to me. LOL

2014-04-21 10:06 AM

User image

Pro

Yeah, I don't know what the heck is going on with that.  I know if we were at a "disturbance" and someone pointed a gun at us it would likely end poorly for the gun pointer.  I don't have any idea how that goofball can do what he's doing unless nobody knew he was.  Dying over a bunch cows seems stupid to me. LOL

Well they ARE free-range cows. I suppose this is the redneck version of Occupy Wall Street.

2014-04-21 10:09 AM

User image

Pro

Well they ARE free-range cows. I suppose this is the redneck version of Occupy Wall Street.

I think when the govt. starts drone strikes on the cow herd the story will become alot more interesting. 

2014-04-21 10:14 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I think when the govt. starts drone strikes on the cow herd the story will become alot more interesting. 

I saw one article that I'm certain was fantasy about the government digging mass cow graves and executing them.

If they start building cow concentration camps, then I think the UN may have to get involved.  ;-)

2014-04-21 10:20 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood

I saw one article that I'm certain was fantasy about the government digging mass cow graves and executing them.

If they start building cow concentration camps, then I think the UN may have to get involved.  ;-)

With the price of beef where it is I hope they throw all cows in interment camps while this war rages.

2014-04-21 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

There are pictures up today of the big holes they dug and dumped the dead cows in. Wonder when PETA will get involved.

2014-04-21 10:29 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
They killed those cows? I am outraged. I could have eaten those cows.

2014-04-21 10:31 AM

User image

Pro

Cow-centration camps? Let's start a conspiracy theory! I bet infowars will cover this.

2014-04-21 10:43 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by chirunner134 They killed those cows? I am outraged. I could have eaten those cows.

If they did, it wouldn't surprise me at all.  Our government doesn't seem to be able to use logic with things like these.

No matter who is in the right, simply killing and burying cattle is stupid.  Sell them to a stock yard, or even donate them to somebody would obviously be better choices.  However, I'm sure there would be so much red tape in order to get that done that the only viable solution is to waste them.  :-/

2014-04-21 11:07 AM

New user
The BLM response was over the top. Sending in a swat team over what is really a federal parking ticket (cows parked in a no parking zone) was uncalled for. But federal agencies who now have paramilitary enforcement units have to justify their existence I guess (see raid on Gibson guitar, and Chicken, Alaska gold miners). I am personally waiting for IRS enforcement to treat Al Sharpton in the same manner since he owes about as much (1.5million) as Cliven Bundy. Personally I do not like the militarization of our police.
2014-04-21 11:24 AM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Pro

Originally posted by NXS The BLM response was over the top. Sending in a swat team over what is really a federal parking ticket (cows parked in a no parking zone) was uncalled for. But federal agencies who now have paramilitary enforcement units have to justify their existence I guess (see raid on Gibson guitar, and Chicken, Alaska gold miners). I am personally waiting for IRS enforcement to treat Al Sharpton in the same manner since he owes about as much (1.5million) as Cliven Bundy. Personally I do not like the militarization of our police.

Me neither....but it's not going backward from here.

2014-04-21 11:48 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by NXS The BLM response was over the top. Sending in a swat team over what is really a federal parking ticket (cows parked in a no parking zone) was uncalled for. But federal agencies who now have paramilitary enforcement units have to justify their existence I guess (see raid on Gibson guitar, and Chicken, Alaska gold miners). I am personally waiting for IRS enforcement to treat Al Sharpton in the same manner since he owes about as much (1.5million) as Cliven Bundy. Personally I do not like the militarization of our police.

I honestly have mixed feelings on this believe it or not.  There are situations where the police DO need to have significant firepower and resources such as the LA bank robbery shootout with the bad guys sporting body armor and full auto weapons.  If there's a terrorist mall shooting, I want LB and his crew to have the best of the best so they can go in and stop the bad guys as quickly as possible.

One of my closest friends from the Navy is a SWAT guy out in CA and there's no question it's a high risk profession because God only knows what the bad guy has on the other side of the door.  So, in that context, I appreciate that they have overwhelming force to mitigate the dangers and keep the police safer.

However, you have situations where relatively minor arrest warrants are served with the same level of overwhelming force and any hand in the pocket or wrong move by the "bad guy" can result in accidental death.  This is where i have a big problem with the tactics and equipment being used.

There has to be a balance somewhere and I don't really know where that balance is.  I don't want all police going back to six shooters on the hip, and I also don't want the driving around in tanks.

More importantly I want the police to stop buying up all the dad gum ammo so I can get some.  ;-)

2014-04-21 12:00 PM

User image

Pro

I honestly have mixed feelings on this believe it or not.  There are situations where the police DO need to have significant firepower and resources such as the LA bank robbery shootout with the bad guys sporting body armor and full auto weapons.  If there's a terrorist mall shooting, I want LB and his crew to have the best of the best so they can go in and stop the bad guys as quickly as possible.

One of my closest friends from the Navy is a SWAT guy out in CA and there's no question it's a high risk profession because God only knows what the bad guy has on the other side of the door.  So, in that context, I appreciate that they have overwhelming force to mitigate the dangers and keep the police safer.

However, you have situations where relatively minor arrest warrants are served with the same level of overwhelming force and any hand in the pocket or wrong move by the "bad guy" can result in accidental death.  This is where i have a big problem with the tactics and equipment being used.

There has to be a balance somewhere and I don't really know where that balance is.  I don't want all police going back to six shooters on the hip, and I also don't want the driving around in tanks.

More importantly I want the police to stop buying up all the dad gum ammo so I can get some.  ;-)

Without question, the LA shootout started us down the road to military style weapons being introduced to everyday patrol cars. 

The reason you see minor warrants served with the same force as more serious warrants is a training issue.  You serve them all the same and it becomes standard practice......"practice" being the emphasis.

I am happy to have superior firepower.  Wihtout being overly dramatic....it's nice to know you can get into a gunfight and have a decent chance to go home in one piece thanks to the increased training and equipment.  The flip side is that the combined police force inthis country would probably make it one of the largest standing armies on the planet...complete with air support, armored vehicles, drones, surveillance capabilities, etc, etc.  A good thing?  It is right up to the point where the power gets abused.....that's always a concern.

2014-04-21 12:59 PM

New user
LB, I have a question for you. Does law enforcement generally use dogs for crowd control? The reason I ask, is that I found it eery, as in the civil rights era, that the BLM agents had dogs at the ready at the Bundy fiasco.
2014-04-21 1:20 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Pro

Originally posted by NXS LB, I have a question for you. Does law enforcement generally use dogs for crowd control? The reason I ask, is that I found it eery, as in the civil rights era, that the BLM agents had dogs at the ready at the Bundy fiasco.

It depends if you have them available.  K-9 units today are generally used for sniffing, not so much for crowd control....some are not even cross trained today since, as you alluded to, there aren't many opportunities to use them like there was back in the 60's with mass demonstrations.

I will say this.......there is very little, if anything, as effective as a well trained k-9 corps for crowd control......the exception being a well trained mounted unit.

I don't know where the k-9 units you are talking about come from.....but I think it's a better alternative than tear gas and rubber bullets.

2014-04-21 1:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

[sorry, dp

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-21 1:20 PM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Cliven Bundy - States Rights Patriot or Domestic Terrorist? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

The State of Cable News Networks today...

Started by ScudRunner
Views: 1106 Posts: 1

2013-09-24 12:39 PM ScudRunner

Anything like this in you state?

Started by robbmt
Views: 2041 Posts: 20

2013-08-27 4:59 PM tuwood

Your state government

Started by JoshR
Views: 2017 Posts: 20

2013-09-18 8:36 AM TriMyBest

Supreme Court stops use of key part of Voting Rights Act

Started by DanielG
Views: 2172 Posts: 22

2013-07-03 3:23 PM TriRSquared

Domestic Violence and teachers Pages: 1 2

Started by BAMBAM66
Views: 3887 Posts: 49

2013-06-25 11:10 PM lakelandsledder
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
CGI’s headline races are the New Jersey State Triathlon and Black Bear, which is a half-iron and Olympic distance race in the Poconos in early June. We interview the race director, Michelle Redrow.

date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.
date : June 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
After two stress fractures, does new pain mean bad news?

date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.
date : September 25, 2009
I have a torn labrum in the right hip that I'm getting surgery for this Friday. Also the doctor is grinding some bone that caused it to tear. Do you have any good ideas on returning to training?

date : December 19, 2008
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.
date : December 19, 2008
My right knee has a pain in the front, just below the kneecap. I walked 24 miles of IM Louisville. No pain while walking but it started immediately when trying to run.

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!