General Discussion Triathlon Talk » B2B or IM Maryland? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-21 4:51 PM

User image

Subject: B2B or IM Maryland?
I've got plans to do B2B Full this year to satisfy my need to get a full off of my bucket list while I still can. Now that IM Maryland is on the table I'm not sure if I should change gears and do the IM branded race instead. I don't know at this point if I will do any more fulls due to future time constraints so I would like to get the most out of this one experience. I was totally satisfied with the B2B race and environment last year when I did the half so, no complaints there but I've never done an "official" Ironman event so this may be the time. Is the extra entry fee money and a little more travel expense worth the dog and pony show of an actual Ironman event? Is it more bang for the buck so to speak? I would appreciate opinions if anyone reading this has done either or both events ( B2B vs. IM). I'm down to the wire on a decision as I'm sure IM Maryland won't be open much longer and I'll need to slightly tweak the training plan.

2014-04-21 6:52 PM
in reply to: Tparkin

Wendell, NC
Subject: RE: B2B or IM Maryland?
I've done B2B 1/2 and full as well as IM Cozumel. B2B had much better race organization and support. IM does have a large tent with lots of over priced IM crap. If that's what blows your skirt up.
2014-04-21 7:21 PM
in reply to: wbl0310

User image

Yeah, I couldn't care less about a merch tent so if that's the big difference then it doesn't seem worth it to go WTC. I agree with you about the B2B organization and support...can't imagine it being any better elsewhere but I don't have a lot to compare it to.
2014-04-22 11:40 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
You asked about "bang for the buck" in your original post.....if that is going to be the determining factor, then the winner is B2B!!
2014-04-22 2:35 PM
in reply to: japarker24

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by japarker24

You asked about "bang for the buck" in your original post.....if that is going to be the determining factor, then the winner is B2B!!

Agree...B2B is a great race. I've done the half and full, and I've also done an Ironman branded race.

With B2B, you're going to get a well run race without the HUGE crowds. The finish is not like an Ironman, though. It's much more low key.
2014-04-22 3:10 PM

I did the B2B half in 2012 and the Ironman half at Augusta in 2013. I have already signed up to do the full at B2B this year. I found both races to be very well organized and enjoyable. I recommend going with B2B, which is the route that I have taken.

2014-04-25 9:40 PM

I have completed IM Louisville in 2011 and B2B Full in 2013. IM has triple the number the number of participants. It also has triple the spectators on the course. IM aid stations have IM branded drinks and sponsor gels plus fruits, crackers and other things. B2B swim has some current pushing you with the incoming tide. Bike course is slightly rolling and pretty windy. Run course is mostly flat with a few short hills. Bike aid stations had themes to them. Run aid stations had similar goodies to the IM aid stations...plus home made goodies. They also had themes to them too.

Remember 140.6 is 140.6 wherever you do it. Good luck. Happy training.
2014-04-26 6:40 PM
in reply to: danes12

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
I've done Raleigh 70.3 and B2B (half and full) and I don't think I would pay extra for the IM "experience" because I really enjoyed my B2B experiences...except the B2B finish when they had it on the island (its downtown now, which IMO is waaaaay better). Having said that, the town of Raleigh really got behind the 70.3 so the ride was way more fun than B2B because you had spectators all over the course, so that was nice. Having said that, why not use the $$ you save doing B2B and make a weekend of it- stay at the beach and enjoy Wrightsville beach/Wilmington. It makes for a nice weekend. I even went down last year just for kicks to spectate and enjoy a fall weekend at the beach, with the awesome B2B hotel discounts. :-)

One caveat with what I said above for B2B is that the full draws far fewer participants than the half, so B2B half and B2B full are different experiences IMO...B2B weekend is busy, but the full is very quiet if you are finishing at the tail end of the field. Good luck whatever you choose to do though.
2014-05-04 7:01 AM
in reply to: louiskie

User image

Camden, NC
I don't think you can go wrong with either. I did the B2B full last year in 2013 and have signed up for the IM MD this year since I have only done an IM 70.3. The IM 70.3 in Raleigh was awesome and there was a lot of energy. B2B is top 5 non IM branded and they do a great job as you probably saw, great course, great fans, awesome volunteers. I am hoping for a little warmer start that the the start of the swim at the B2B, which had an air temp of around 36-38 degrees F ...although I think that was an anomaly. My wife and I have rented a cool waterfront room at a Bed in Breakfast for the IM MD and I am looking forward to the full IM experience, should be a blast! Have fun making your decision and enjoy your journey!
2014-05-07 2:19 PM
in reply to: wbl0310

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by wbl0310

I've done B2B 1/2 and full as well as IM Cozumel. B2B had much better race organization and support. IM does have a large tent with lots of over priced IM crap. If that's what blows your skirt up.

Yep, cause there's no masses of crowds are several points along the race. Or thousands at the finish line to give you a rock stars celebration as you just achieved a dream. Or masses of people at the start of the day to give you a taste of whats to come.

Just a merch tent.

Honestly, the hatred towards WTC blows my mind.
2014-05-07 10:35 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by eppie 2014-05-07 10:47 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » B2B or IM Maryland? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

B2B vs IM Pages: 1 2

Started by Wojo14
Views: 2659 Posts: 36

2012-12-04 11:30 AM Patrick E

B2B Awards Ceremony

Started by SlickWillie
Views: 1039 Posts: 1

2008-09-18 1:35 PM SlickWillie

B2B half transition clarification?

Started by MagicNC
Views: 1672 Posts: 8

2008-10-23 2:50 PM alltom1

B2B Practice Swimming

Started by countregirl
Views: 1484 Posts: 7

2008-09-08 8:33 PM canadarn2001

North East (Maryland) Course video

Started by lredrow
Views: 659 Posts: 1

2008-01-29 12:11 PM lredrow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : May 11, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?
date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.

date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?
date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.