General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where do I start? Bike and equipment questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-22 7:59 AM

Subject: Where do I start? Bike and equipment questions
Hello! I'm new to BT and would like to sign up for my first sprint tri late this summer. 34 F, just moved to Indiana and don't even know where the bike/run shops are. I'm 6', 155, 34" inseam. I was a competitive swimmer in HS and just bought a cap and goggles so I could get back in the pool. Don't own a bike, and it's been 10 years since I've been on one. I can run 5-6 miles without feeling winded, haven't tried more, and I need better shoes. Help! Where do I start? I can spend about $1K to get set up.

2014-04-22 8:35 AM
in reply to: MMW37

Subject: RE: Where do I start? Bike and equipment questions
I would start with google and search for bike shops in your area / town.
2014-04-22 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
dear lord, you're going to be just fine.
For a sprint tri, it's really up to you how far you want to go, especially since this is your first. Lots of folks will tell you you need a wetsuit. Sure, you won't be as fast as the folks that have one, but it won't matter, it's your first. Swim like you know how and you'll beat 99% of them out of the water anyway, triathletes are notoriously horrid swimmers.

You need a bike, obviously. If it all possible, borrow one from a pal and get used to it for a while before hand. You're not going to set any land speed records your first time out, your main goal should be confidence while riding and safety. Know how the brakes and shifting works, get comfortable handling it, etc. You *might* need bike shoes to ride your buddy's bike, but assuming you like this crazy sport, you'll need them anyway. If by chance his bike doesn't have clipless pedals (these are actually the type of pedals you clip into, but the name clipless exists to confuse you. Hope it did the trick!), then you can just ride it with your running shoes.

If you don't have a bike to borrow or if you're bent on getting a bike - which I wholeheartedly endorse, because I LOVE bikes and think everyone should ride - then I'd recommend buying a used bike, which will save you hundreds. There are several approaches to this, but you're probably best off starting a relationship with your local bike shop (called the LBS for short) who can advise you what size bike you're looking for, and will also be the ones to tune it up for you once you get it. They may even have a lead on a bike for you. I'm not saying you shouldn't ever buy new, it's just not as economical. A good LBS will be fine helping you locate a used bike, as they're starting a relationship with you, and most of them recognize the value of honesty and pragmatic thinking. Based on your measurements I'd say you're probably looking for a size 56 or 58 bike, and my advice would be to get a road bike, not a tri bike. The adjustments that will need to be made to the saddle and bars to make it comfortable are myriad and best not attempted by a new rider, again the LBS is your friend here.

You shouldn't need anywhere near $1K to get into triathlon, just enjoy it!
2014-04-22 8:46 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Try fo connect with local shops or tri teams and you can learn a lot. Being a former swimmer and solid runner, tris will come relatively easy to you but figure out the bike thing sooner than later.

Best bag for your buck is buying a used bike and often can get a top quality bike for more than half off. Key to any bike is getting one that fits you. The old days of standing over a bike and seeing if it fits is gone. Competitivecycle.com has a bike fit calculator you may want to use for a general idea of what size bike would work for you.

Some bike shops sell used bikes but Craigslist is likely to get a better bike for less money.

Do you know any triathletes local or cyclists that could help guide you in the bike buying adventure. There is a lot of information on line you can learn a lot.

Here on BT we have state forums if you look below. YOu can post there and see if others local to you can advice you shops, tris, clubs, and meet other tri athletes.

Welcome and good luck!

2014-04-22 8:46 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
I'm in a similar position as I am new to tris. I have a MTB, but I want to get a road bike. I have found that unless you go the Craigslist route, you won't find a decent bike for $1,000. Last year's base models will sell for $1,500. This year's base model will sell for $1,750-2000 & up. Throwing $1,000 into a cheaper bike that will only last you one year makes less sense than spending $2,000 on a bike that could last you 5+ years.

Shoes are easier. You need to find a good running store that knows shoes. They will help you find out if you are neutral or if you pronate when you run & get you into the right shoes. Again, you can get last year's shoes for $75ish or you can get this year's model for $100-150.

Proper clothes are a given, and can run anywhere from free (look what I just have in my drawer here!) to pricey. Other things you can pick up along the way.
2014-04-22 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Welcome to BT.

The essentials would be: Bike, helmet, wetsuit (if it makes sense for your location, which I'm thinking it does), goggles and then a pair of running shoes.

I'd say look up your local bike shop (LBS) and find yourself a bike that fits and fits into your price range.

Xterra usually has some good deals on wetsuits.

IMO I'd also go to a good running specific store to find some quality sneakers. Nothing will turn you off faster to running than your feet/legs/whatever hurting.

$1k should get you a good quality set of everything to start off. Good luck!

2014-04-22 9:21 AM

sounds like you are set - you have the will and know how to swim. pick a race!

it's not so much 'good' shoes as the right shoes, i.e. if you pronate v. no pronation, etc. I could pay $200 for a shoe that "stabilizes", but will be much more comfortable in my $60 adidas that simply cushion. - that's where the local running store helps, but if they sell you a shoe and your knees hurt or you hammies hurt excessively afterward, then go back and tell them so you get the right shoe. They may work at a shoe store, and they may know all the jargon, but they still may sell you the wrong shoe. a good running shop will give you a free exchange for the right shoe.

bike - you can get a $800 road bike that is brand new. I started with a Trek 2.1. that was 6 years ago. the bike still rides just fine and is great for sprints and Olympics. I even rode it in 70.3s and did several century rides on it. is it only 13 lbs with top of the line components, no, but who cares, if you are just starting out, get the starting out bike that will last for years and you won't be afraid to ride it because you spent 4 months worth of rent money. if you find you love tri so much that you are going to be doing 200 miles a week, then getting a better bike down the road might make sense, but an $800 bike will be just fine. plus, your bike shop will

good luck and enjoy!
2014-04-22 9:32 AM
in reply to: #4984982

Thanks! Nice to get so many replies so quickly! I was nervous about going into a bike shop just to get fitted if I was planning to use the info on CL - didn't want to waste anyone's time. We don't know anyone in this state yet, so borrowing isn't really an option. Back in FL I could have. I've already done the googling bit, haha, just haven't been to the shops. I live in a small city, and we apparently have a few each of running and biking shops.

So:
Shoes -
Bike
Helmet
Bike supplies - I'm guessing the shop can tell me what exactly I'll need to have on hand?
Wetsuit? Tri suit? Might buy later...

If we can get the toddler to nap I'll try to go look today! Phone hasn't rung yet, so I don't think I'm getting called into work.
2014-04-22 10:03 AM

User image

Denver, CO

One option for the wetsuit, if you decide to go that route, is to rent.  Around here, you can get one for ~$40 for the day.  You can get it 2-3 times to practice, then get it again for your race.  Be sure your tri is wetsuit-legal before you do this though.  No point in getting used to it if you can't even use it.

If you borrow a friend's bike with clipless pedals but don't want to buy cycling shoes, you can get pedals have a regular platform on one side and are clipless on the other.  I think mine ran ~$50-60 at my LBS or you can get them online.  Pedals are easy to switch out; you just need an allen wrench.  Then you can use them next year on your own bike as a way to work into riding with cycling shoes. 

A simple bike maintenance clinic can help too.  Knowing how to fix a flat is invaluable.  You don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere or DNF in your race just because your tire goes flat.  LBS's usually offers clinics, sometimes free, sometimes for a nominal charge.  It's also a great way to get to know the staff there.

If you want to wear shorts with padding for the bike, consider tri shorts.  They're cheaper than a tri suit and absorb less water than regular bike shorts.  Running in regular bike shorts can be like running with a wet diaper.  Ick.  Depending on your local roads, you might also like some cycling gloves for padding.

Good luck and enjoy yourself!

2014-04-22 10:18 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by KathyG

Try fo connect with local shops or tri teams and you can learn a lot. Being a former swimmer and solid runner, tris will come relatively easy to you but figure out the bike thing sooner than later.

Best bag for your buck is buying a used bike and often can get a top quality bike for more than half off. Key to any bike is getting one that fits you. The old days of standing over a bike and seeing if it fits is gone. Competitivecycle.com has a bike fit calculator you may want to use for a general idea of what size bike would work for you.

Some bike shops sell used bikes but Craigslist is likely to get a better bike for less money.

Do you know any triathletes local or cyclists that could help guide you in the bike buying adventure. There is a lot of information on line you can learn a lot.

Here on BT we have state forums if you look below. YOu can post there and see if others local to you can advice you shops, tris, clubs, and meet other tri athletes.

Welcome and good luck!

Here's the link for the calculator:  http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

2014-04-22 10:32 AM

, Idaho
You are exactly where I was a year ago in terms of getting into Triathlon.

I was wanting to spend $400-$800 on a starter bike. After looking into things, it was clear that I was going to be much happier buying a really decent bike. I bought a carbon fiber road bike on sale for $500 off retail. I paid $1350. I was nervous (no, make that "scared to death") that I had paid that much, being that I was just beginning. I am so happy that I did. If I could go back, I would do the same thing. The bike is great. I've completed two triathlons, and will be doing a few more this summer. But, I love road biking, too. I'm sure that I'll be looking at a tri bike within a year or two, but I'm enjoying just biking now. A lot of posters on this site mention the importance to build bike fitness and strength. That comes by just biking more, and biking a lot. I've been biking more than training plans call for, because I'm really liking biking, and that's only going to help me in triathlons.

So, get something durable and decent. To stay within your budget of $1000.00, I would look for something used (or I would buy a dirt cheap road bike on amazon or at REI for the lowest price possible...because you are going to want to upgrade soon...it's better to throw $300 down the drain than $700). Don't be afraid to increase your budget a bit, I'm sure glad I did.

For shoes: Get to a couple of decent running stores and try on multiple shoes. I always go outside and jog a couple hundred yards in each pair (the stores never mind, they encourage it most of the time). Find a pair or two that work for you, and then go home and start shopping online. You can find shoes cheaper and get the last model often for a good price. For example: most shoes I look at range from $140-$170 at the store. I buy them online for somewhere in the range of $80-$120 depending.

Given (1) your background in swimming (2) your current running ability, and (3) your body size, you are going to be great at triathlons pretty fast. Best of luck!

2014-04-22 11:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by d.wilk

For shoes: Get to a couple of decent running stores and try on multiple shoes. I always go outside and jog a couple hundred yards in each pair (the stores never mind, they encourage it most of the time). Find a pair or two that work for you, and then go home and start shopping online. You can find shoes cheaper and get the last model often for a good price. For example: most shoes I look at range from $140-$170 at the store. I buy them online for somewhere in the range of $80-$120 depending.  

I know a lot of folks do this, but personally I prefer to support my local running store. They take the time to analyze my gait, recommend the right shoe, let me run around in their shoe before I buy, ask me about my season, etc. - I would feel wrong to use them for all of that knowing I wasn't going to make a purchase. Additionally, buying from my locally-owned store means all of that money stays in my community. For me it's worth the $20 savings or whatever to support a local store that does so much for my community. 

Edited by lisac957 2014-04-22 11:00 AM
2014-04-22 12:16 PM

, Idaho
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by d.wilk

I know a lot of folks do this, but personally I prefer to support my local running store. They take the time to analyze my gait, recommend the right shoe, let me run around in their shoe before I buy, ask me about my season, etc. - I would feel wrong to use them for all of that knowing I wasn't going to make a purchase. Additionally, buying from my locally-owned store means all of that money stays in my community. For me it's worth the $20 savings or whatever to support a local store that does so much for my community. 

Lisa,
What a good point you make! Spending a few more bucks is completely worth supporting a great local store. I was trying to give the OP a cost-savings approach, but I agree with your perspective also. There is a LBS that I regularly pay their retail, not because I can't find it cheaper, but because I want to support them.

Edited by d.wilk 2014-04-22 12:17 PM
2014-04-22 12:42 PM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Welcome to the Forum! From a research standpoint, You're starting out right. One thing I did as well was to check out swimming, biking and running specific forums really just for more info as well as finding people close to my area to train with.

There's nothing really that can be added to what everyone has already said, so let me show you a slightly different side. My first Sprint is coming up in just over 3 weeks and I've been triaining and preparing since November. The reason I am doing this is to challenge myself, and also to lose weight/get healthier to stick around and bug my wife and kids as long as I can . My biggest limitation is budget.

Swim: We have a family membership to our local Y. A bit more expensive than most other places, but we get a discount thru my wife's job, plus it's the closest indoor pool. I have Wal-mart goggles and train with normal swim trunks

Bike: I started on an old mountain bike that pretty much fell apart. How I didn't get hurt is beyond me. I finally got sick of trying to find something local, sub-$300 range that didn't need serious repair. I don't know if I just wasn't fast enough, or what. I ended up dropping $180 on a GMC (Kent) Denali. It's almost perfect for what I need, and most importantly, it got me back on the road. I figure as parts go out (and I'm sure they will), I can upgrade them with what I want, and if I stick with this, buy a frame and build it the way I want it. I'm also gaining mechanical knowledge at the same time. At the moment, I use my phone to track my rides. I have no monitors or bike electronics. I use a regular helmet on flat pedals (clipless will be my next upgrade, tho).

Run: Shoes, shoes, shoes!!! I learned the hard way that you do not skimp on footwear. I've had 2 major setbacks, and even though I have good shoes now, I'm still dealing with the after effects. I did what d.wilk did. Primarily due to financial constraints. Again, I have no monitors, but use my phone to track my runs.

Extras: I just dropped $70 for a pair of tri shorts (ouch). I've been bike/run triaining in sweat shorts over spandex. I've also spent the $7 for a t-shirt from the primary sponsor of the "team" that I am on. That will be my "kit" for the sprint.

All together, I'm out somewhere in the neighborhood of $350 (not including race registration). Your budget should cover everything easily.

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-04-22 12:45 PM
2014-04-22 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4984982

Just got back from the bike and running shops. I got fitted at both. Picked up new shoes, as I'm currently running in a size too small and I'm an over pronator. Which explains why I thought I needed new shoes. I don't mind spending an extra few bucks to support a locally owned shop, so I did. There is a local tri club, and I picked up their flier at the running shop.

Bike guy said I need 57 cm. I rode a dolce specialized that I liked, but it was a bit out of my price range. They had very little in stock in my size - apparently there aren't a lot of 6' tall women out there, who knew? He also recommended a 3 hour fitting session with any new bike. They charge $175 if you buy from them, $275 for a bike off the street. Is that normal?

Very educational! When the kiddo wakes up we're going to the Y - he has swim lessons tonight and I'll do laps first.
2014-04-22 3:42 PM

User image

Champion
MA

You do not need to buy a women specific bike. Most bike brands just slap different paint on a bike and make it a women's model.

Bike fit goes by your body. Most 6' tall folks are more similar than different.   Most bike shops will have a lot of bikes to fit standard height men so you should have many more choices at most bike shops than women 5'6" and under. You will likely fit in a 56, 57 or 58 depending on brand and model. YOu should do so reading up on bike fit over on Slowtwitch to read about Stack and Reach.

Not all bike shops or bike employees really understand bike fit well.  Bike shops often have views about women and triathletes that are not accurate. The stuff bike shop folks have told me that I know is flat our wrong is sad. The more you know when you shop the more discernment you have to know who to listen to and who not to listen to.

You made a lot of progress today!

2014-04-22 4:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Look for a used 56 ( or 57) cm road bike. Cannondale CAAD frames are good value and are common.
2014-04-22 6:49 PM
in reply to: d.wilk

User image

Austin

Our big local tri shop here in Austin TX does this deal

http://blog.jackandadams.com/blog/2014-rookie-package-deal/

Its a bike, shoes, pedals, helmet, tri shorts, tri top, water bottle, bottle cage and a flat tire kit with bike bag and a fit for $999.

Its a better bike than I bought a few years back for about 700$. I wish I would have done a deal like this when I first got into it.

See if your local shops have any deals like it.

2014-04-23 2:21 PM
in reply to: #4985268

No starter package here, unfortunately. I'm in a pretty small city without a ton of options. I think I'm going to get the Scott Speedster 40 that I test rode today at one of the LBS. It seems to get pretty good reviews, and I thought it was easy to use and comfortable. It's in my price range, and I'd rather buy something and start training than spend two months reading reviews.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where do I start? Bike and equipment questions Rss Feed