Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Do you think she ran or not? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2014-04-22 2:45 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: RE: Do you think she ran or not?

Originally posted by NXS
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Originally posted by Left Brain

I think she stole the bike.

I just spit my water out on this one.  Nice thread reference LB.

In reply to the OP'er.....  She's gotta be a race pirate. 

Do race pirates run with a parrot on their shoulder?

ARGHHHHH!  Of course they do matey!! 

2014-04-22 3:11 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I used to train with a guy who was just getting started with running and tri's. We used to run races together and we would typically start together and he would eventually fall back and finish after me. I'm not fast-- I'm around 8:00 or so for short races at my fastest, but he was usually lucky to break 30 minutes for a 5k.

One day we raced a short sprint duathlon (2mi/10mi/2mi). At the starting line, he ran into a friend of his that I didn't know, the two of them started talking and I sort of got separated from them. The gun went off, I looked around and didn't see either of them, so I started running. I kept looking around during the run and never saw either of them, even though part of the course is out-and-back. I had what felt like a pretty fast (for me) first run leg, but when I got to the first transition, he was already there, getting on his bike. I was so shocked to see him, that I blurted out, "Did you miss a turn?" (I know, I know-- I'm a jerk...) He got very indignant and rode off. I eventually passed him on the bike, and finished the race a few minutes ahead of him.

To this day, he still hassles me about my "did you miss a turn?" comment, and swears up and down that he ran the full race, but I can't help but be skeptical. He would have had to be around a 7:15 pace to finish when he did, and he's never come close to that before or since.
2014-04-22 3:13 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by ingleshteechur

I'm asking this strictly out of curiosity--in the long run this perplexing situation has no bearing on my life whatsoever, but I'm curious what other people might think went on.

I have a coworker who told me months ago she was training for her first marathon to be run on April 19th--Saturday.  I also happened to be running the half marathon.  So over the last few months we would talk training, etc.  Thursday she came into my room on my prep and we talked for a good 30 minutes about running in general, how bad the taper sucks, etc.  I wished her good luck and told her I couldn't wait to hear how it went.  Race happened Saturday morning--both the marathon and 1/2 started at the same time--I kept an eye out for her but didn't see her, no big deal, not surprising.  Saturday evening once I was home I thought 'I should check to see how "Sally" did.  So I went to results.  She wasn't listed anywhere, in fact no one from our town was listed having run the marathon--not in the DNF, DNS--she was no where to be found.  I though that was strange but figured maybe she registered under a different last name or something.  Monday morning comes so I shoot her a gmail and asked how it went.  She replied right away that it was life changing, unbelievable, she'll do another marathon for sure. She gave me her finish time down to the second.  Curiosity got the better of me so I looked under overall finishers, overall female finishers, her age group finishers and no one recorded that time, nor was her name anywhere to be found.  I'm wondering if she even ran the darn thing?  Or maybe ran it as a bandit?  But that makes no sense to me.  I'm not going to press it further with her, but I'm curious what others think.

Maybe she forgot to wear her chip, or wore it in such a way that no time was recorded? You should send her one of your race photos and ask how hers turned out.
2014-04-22 3:20 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Elite

Maybe she forgot to wear her chip, or wore it in such a way that no time was recorded? You should send her one of your race photos and ask how hers turned out.

The chip was imbedded on the bib itself, so if she wore a bib and crossed the start, it should have automatically started, I would think anyhow.

2014-04-22 3:26 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

Originally posted by sheesleeva I ran a half on Saturday and I don't show up anywhere on the results - not my name, not my number, nothing. --and I have the cancelled check to prove I registered and have the gps info to prove I ran the race, and the bib on my fridge to prove I was given a number even though if you input that very number, nothing. My not showing up anywhere on the results page didn't mean anything....

Unfortunately the timing system can never be 100%. You can e-mail the race director and ask about your time. When I've timed we have a manual back-up and usually between the 2 we can get a time within a few seconds.

As for whether she ran the race. Who knows?!!? It is possible her time got missed...or it's possible she was a bandit. (Those "people" upset me.) Or it's possible she is lying through her teeth...

2014-04-22 3:27 PM

User image

Maybe she was doing that Boston Marathon World Run...

This year, the Boston Athletic Association, in partnership with John Hancock and Manulife Financial, are inviting people from around the world to participate in their own Boston Marathon. Maybe it’s not 26.2 miles, and maybe it’s not in Boston, but there is a marathoner in all of us. We encourage you to bring it out – and to be a part of the first ever Boston Marathon World Run.

http://www.bostonmarathonworldrun.org/about

2014-04-22 3:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by NXS

I just spit my water out on this one.  Nice thread reference LB.

In reply to the OP'er.....  She's gotta be a race pirate. 

Do race pirates run with a parrot on their shoulder?

ARGHHHHH!  Of course they do matey!! 

Did she take sefies during the race and then blog about it afterwards?

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2014-04-22 3:33 PM
2014-04-22 3:36 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

This year, the Boston Athletic Association, in partnership with John Hancock and Manulife Financial, are inviting people from around the world to participate in their own Boston Marathon. Maybe it’s not 26.2 miles, and maybe it’s not in Boston, but there is a marathoner in all of us. We encourage you to bring it out – and to be a part of the first ever Boston Marathon World Run.

That's what I did.......it wasn't easy....and mine was all downhill.  3:52:47 or somehting like that.

2014-04-22 3:43 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

That's what I did.......it wasn't easy....and mine was all downhill.  3:52:47 or somehting like that.

I just checked the results...didn't find you.  What color was the finisher's shirt?

2014-04-22 3:51 PM

User image

Pro

I just checked the results...didn't find you.  What color was the finisher's shirt?

My race didn't give out any schwag, or have electirc timing, or witnesses spectators, or aid stations......i don't think I'll do it again.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-22 4:01 PM
2014-04-22 3:59 PM

User image

Elite

No selfie, no pics from the race, no Facebook brag--she didn't post about it at all Saturday or since.  I actually ran a long relay with her last summer and she posted all over FB about it.  But, it's whatever. It will remain a mystery I guess.

2014-04-22 4:11 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by sheesleeva  I had a co-worker once that claimed she had run several marathons, finishing in just under 3 hours. she was a bit overweight and had that kind of skin that overweight since she was a kid people have. when me at the other person at work said something about medals, she claimed, "oh the marathon I ran they didn't give out medals" ....uh, what marathon doesn't give out finishers medals? and if you did a marathon, a full 26.2 real marathon under 3 hours just to check it off your bucket list, wow, I applaud you and your freakish ability.

Do you work with Paul Ryan?  

I would personally let it go. Seems like a stupid thing for someone to lie about, but what do I care.  Unless she's walking around the office telling everyone all about her race, how she hit the wall at mile 21 but pushed through, the joy of the finish line, etc. Then I might call her out.  

2014-04-22 4:15 PM

User image

My race didn't give out any schwag, or have electirc timing, or witnesses spectators, or aid stations......i don't think I'll do it again.

I think you should write a yelp review of the race.

2014-04-23 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

CoJ now demands that you confront her and get the truth. We gotta know now!!!

2014-04-23 12:27 PM

User image

Utah

Well played, LB
2014-04-23 12:42 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Pro

I think she either ran or she didn't. Maybe she's Schroedinger's Marathoner? You could check and see if she has toenails or not.

I did a race last year, only a 5k but I won my age group. Or thought I did, my chip had fallen off somewhere on the course.

2014-04-23 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

I just randomly stumbled on this thread and now the curiosity is killing me! 

I would have to question her about not finding any results.

2014-04-23 12:54 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Aarondb4

CoJ now demands that you confront her and get the truth. We gotta know now!!!

Are you demanding a ST type of witch hunt?

2014-04-23 1:06 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

I think she either ran or she didn't. Maybe she's Schroedinger's Marathoner? You could check and see if she has toenails or not.

I did a race last year, only a 5k but I won my age group. Or thought I did, my chip had fallen off somewhere on the course.

Yeah. Sure you did.
2014-04-23 1:08 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

race pics or it didn't happen

2014-04-23 1:09 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mr2tony

Yeah. Sure you did.

Hey, at least *I* have the race shirt and bib.

Schrodinger. Glad you didn't call me on that one too.

2014-04-23 1:16 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Yeah. Sure you did.

You were right with the spelling the first time - you need to add the 'e' if you can't put an umlaut over the 'o.'

2014-04-23 1:18 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by mehaner

Yeah. Sure you did.

You were right with the spelling the first time - you need to add the 'e' if you can't put an umlaut over the 'o.'

Prove it.
2014-04-23 1:20 PM

User image

Pro

I think you should write a yelp review of the race.

I looked to see if I had any pictures from after the race.....the only one I had was of my dog who ran the last 10K with me.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-23 1:21 PM

(running dog.png)

Attachments
----------------
running dog.png (95KB - 9 downloads)
2014-04-23 1:24 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro

ö

Originally posted by mehaner

Yeah. Sure you did.

Schrödinger. I am now umlaut-compliant.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Do you think she ran or not? Rss Feed  

of 7

RELATED POSTS

My dog thinks she's a triathlete

Started by GrilloOriginal
Views: 1120 Posts: 17

2009-08-30 2:12 PM Nightstar2009

Do you think she is a blonde?

Started by Jungle Jenn
Views: 1500 Posts: 7

2009-04-05 10:39 PM comet the dog

WTF was she thinking? Pages: 1 2

Started by CubeFarmGopher
Views: 2557 Posts: 46

2007-12-21 9:39 AM Donto

Michele thought she could fly?

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 521 Posts: 2

2007-11-07 12:44 PM WaterDog66

I thought she was a little fishy...

Started by RGRBILL
Views: 808 Posts: 3

2005-06-08 12:53 PM RachelRichardson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.