General Discussion Triathlon Talk » extreme hamstring tightness - to stretch or not stretch? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-22 9:54 AM

User image

Subject: extreme hamstring tightness - to stretch or not stretch?
I am constantly tinkering with my setup, because if my elbow pads are as low as I can get without killing my neck, I have to lower my saddle, and if my saddle is high enough so I don't hurt my knees, I have to raise my elbow pads because I cannot reach bottom of the pedal stroke without hamstring pain. In the morning, my fingertips can just barely touch my kneecaps upon bending forward…yeah, its bad.

I have been doing quite a bit of research and its unclear whether one should stretch or not, and very little to no info on people who are as tight as me.

So what do you think?

Stretch or no stretch?

If stretch - how, how much, how often?

If no stretch - what instead?

2014-04-22 10:38 AM
in reply to: DrTriKat

Subject: RE: extreme hamstring tightness - to stretch or not stretch?
I'd recommend a very light stretch. If there is a tear or any damage than you do want to rest it but you also need to have blood flow to bring oxygen and nutrients to heal what's damaged. For an ankle sprain I bought a blood flow stimulator that felt amazing and worked even better. It stimulated blood to my ankle while I rested, the best of both worlds. If you're interested the link to the one I got is below.

http://www.kingbrand.com/Leg_Pain_Treatment.php?REF=52PV55
2014-04-22 8:00 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member

foam roller/yoga stretch-gentle

2014-04-22 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4985056

User image

Kyle47- not injured, just tight. Tighter than an average male.
2014-04-22 11:24 PM
in reply to: #4985494

User image

New user
Definitely roll out on a foam roller. Stretching can damage cold muscles so only do it after workouts, if at all.
2014-05-27 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Do some walking or very gentle jogging or spinning for at least 20 minutes, and then stretch gently, just to the point of slight discomfort. No extreme stretching and no bouncing. I have chronically tight hamstrings owing to some old injuries and have found it's actually counterproductive to stretch them before exercise, only works after some easy warmup, or after the whole workout.

Foam rolling can also be useful, massage if you can find a good one. Doing nothing isn't good unless it's an actual injury and even easy jogging/riding is painful, as the muscles will actually tighten up with inactivity. Prolonged sitting is even worse.

2014-05-27 9:36 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by DrTriKat I am constantly tinkering with my setup, because if my elbow pads are as low as I can get without killing my neck, I have to lower my saddle, and if my saddle is high enough so I don't hurt my knees, I have to raise my elbow pads because I cannot reach bottom of the pedal stroke without hamstring pain. In the morning, my fingertips can just barely touch my kneecaps upon bending forward…yeah, its bad. I have been doing quite a bit of research and its unclear whether one should stretch or not, and very little to no info on people who are as tight as me. So what do you think? Stretch or no stretch? If stretch - how, how much, how often? If no stretch - what instead?

This is way late on your thread (and otherwise, which I'll also e-mail you--THANK YOU for the helmet, my boyfriend-now-husband forgot to tell me it had arrived a long time ago!) ...

It's imperative that you get a bike fitting with a solid, well-recommended fitter who's also very strong in anatomy and kinesiology (the good ones are). If you already have, go back and explain the problems you're having--again, a good fitter will make follow-on adjustments.

So in my opinion this isn't a stretching issue; it's an issue of getting you optimally set up on your bike for whatever your conditions (physical, goals, training type/volume, etc.) are.

Also, ignore the naysayers on Slowtwitch. There are actually a lot of really good, knowledgeable respondents there; you just have to have a bigger filter.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » extreme hamstring tightness - to stretch or not stretch? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Extreme hamstring pain

Started by CBarnes
Views: 879 Posts: 7

2006-07-26 7:51 AM CoachH

Need lower back stretches

Started by rlaffey
Views: 787 Posts: 2

2005-07-16 5:31 PM BellinghamSpence

Stretches for Calfs

Started by First_Tri
Views: 1094 Posts: 8

2005-04-20 3:18 PM AdventureBear

Hamstring Tightness

Started by Cyclingmaniac
Views: 868 Posts: 5

2005-04-15 1:12 AM Cyclingmaniac

Can anyone describe a good ilio-psoas stretch?

Started by Konabound
Views: 1745 Posts: 6

2006-11-11 4:39 PM jknapman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 17, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Pain in the hamstring region can be very frustrating and challenging for triathletes - healing may take several weeks and there are many factors that may complicate the eventual outcome.

date : December 28, 2009
comments : 3
I have had Plantar Fasciitis in both feet for 5 years, orthotics have finally helped where I can run again. Are there recommendations beyond ice and stretching?
date : February 2, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
Here is a very focused and specific triathlon stretching program that you can employ during or after your swim, bike and run workouts.

date : May 7, 2008
comments : 4
Studies looking at stretching have had mixed results. It is a difficult to examine because stretching is ingrained in the psyche of so many athletes that they are unwilling to participate as controls.
date : January 14, 2008
At the age of 44, I am experiencing extreme pain in my hip. I have been trying simple stretching and have found no relief.

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching