General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why bother with marking your category on your leg? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-22 12:20 PM

Arden, North Carolina
Subject: Why bother with marking your category on your leg?
I ask this because of all the people who now wear calf sleeves which allows for them to see your category but not theirs. This burned me this past weekend as I wound up taking second to a guy who passed me close to the end who knew I was in his age group, but I had no idea because I couldn't see his leg. Yea, sure I realized I could've sped up regardless, but sometimes you need that specific motivation. It seems to me that if you can simply block others from seeing your category, is there any point in having it written at all? And I don't want to buy calf sleeves to get that advantage.

2014-04-22 12:22 PM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Subject: RE: Why bother with marking your category on your leg?

A friend of mine simply doesn't do it.

For me I don't wear calf sleeves but I find the wetsuit on/off process usually erases most of it anyway.

2014-04-22 12:32 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville

I ask this because of all the people who now wear calf sleeves which allows for them to see your category but not theirs. This burned me this past weekend as I wound up taking second to a guy who passed me close to the end who knew I was in his age group, but I had no idea because I couldn't see his leg. Yea, sure I realized I could've sped up regardless, but sometimes you need that specific motivation. It seems to me that if you can simply block others from seeing your category, is there any point in having it written at all? And I don't want to buy calf sleeves to get that advantage.

Do your best, forget the rest.
2014-04-22 1:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
Assume they are all in your AG, unless obvious, and run faster if you want it, especially if it's for a top spot! He didn't burn you, you did!
2014-04-22 1:50 PM
in reply to: Coach Gil

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Coach Gil Assume they are all in your AG, unless obvious, and run faster if you want it, especially if it's for a top spot! He didn't burn you, you did!

x2.  His calf sleeves didn't allow him to beat you.  You let him beat you.

2014-04-22 1:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Just wash your AG off your calf before the race.  Then it's all even.

Or just cover you calves in M-dot tattoos...

Edited by Jason N 2014-04-22 1:57 PM

2014-04-22 3:19 PM
in reply to: Coach Gil

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by Coach Gil

Assume they are all in your AG, unless obvious, and run faster if you want it, especially if it's for a top spot! He didn't burn you, you did!

If only it were that easy. For one I had no idea it was for a top stop. I never expected to be competitive in this category. Both the first and third place guy had sleeves and I was 2nd in all three sports so I never saw another person in my category. I figured I got crushed in the swim.

Going forward I will just go after anyone I can possibly reach, but are you really saying that you don't think there's that little extra something deep inside you that you need that motivation to pull out? Having had a 30 second lead on the guy behind me who was fading and seeing no one ahead of me in my age group it was tough to summon.
2014-04-22 3:20 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by Coach Gil Assume they are all in your AG, unless obvious, and run faster if you want it, especially if it's for a top spot! He didn't burn you, you did!

x2.  His calf sleeves didn't allow him to beat you.  You let him beat you.

Not knowing he was in my category kept me from making any effort to hang with him. I suppose I did "let him beat me" because I didn't care about someone in a different category beating me, I was focused on the guy I knew that was in my category.

Back to my point. Whats the point of marking categories if you can cover them? Shouldn't they just stop doing it?
2014-04-22 4:50 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Get body marked, go into transition and spray on some sunscreen, no one will be able to read it afterwards!

Body marking is pretty much useless after the swim, even then if wearing a wetsuit it can't be seen by anyone.  Last tri I did you couldn't read most body markings, they were all smeared from the sunscreen. Or maybe it was the PAM spray everyone seemed to be using in T for the wetsuits!

But it is a nice motivational force when you see someone up front of you or passing you that's AG related.

2014-04-22 5:07 PM

User image

Maybe they should have one of those silver sharpies and just write the info on the dark calf sleeves and the normal sharpie on the light ones.
2014-04-22 5:44 PM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by bigevilgrape Maybe they should have one of those silver sharpies and just write the info on the dark calf sleeves and the normal sharpie on the light ones.

I can hear the griping now: "I bought these awesome calf sleeves and totally rocked my race.  Now I have to go buy a new pair because some idiot made me write my age on them and I'm turning [insert age here] before the next one." 

Maybe duct tape labels that you have to put on your back?  Backside bibs with your age?  Nah, that'd push up race prices more....

2014-04-22 6:44 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by bigevilgrape Maybe they should have one of those silver sharpies and just write the info on the dark calf sleeves and the normal sharpie on the light ones.

I can hear the griping now: "I bought these awesome calf sleeves and totally rocked my race.  Now I have to go buy a new pair because some idiot made me write my age on them and I'm turning [insert age here] before the next one." 

Maybe duct tape labels that you have to put on your back?  Backside bibs with your age?  Nah, that'd push up race prices more....

When I did use them 3 seasons ago, I put them on after being marked, and now there is a permanent "44" on them, even the black ones.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why bother with marking your category on your leg? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Why Bother? Pt 2 Pages: 1 2

Started by RedCorvette
Views: 2456 Posts: 27

2012-09-07 11:58 AM roningeek

Grease mark on leg - badge of honor? Pages: 1 2

Started by raeray80
Views: 5729 Posts: 41

2011-06-02 8:13 PM SDCali

Race Markings vs Hairy Legs vs Tattoos

Started by jason.baross
Views: 2005 Posts: 10

2010-04-28 7:53 AM politicalhero

Why bother exercising?

Started by MikeTheBear
Views: 1286 Posts: 10

2008-07-31 11:36 PM Slugger

Why choose elite category instead of age group?

Started by ragingferret
Views: 1432 Posts: 13

2007-10-03 8:04 AM chirunner134
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : June 12, 2012
comments : 2
Mark will reveal blow by blow what took him from six devastating setbacks in the Ironman World Championships in Kona to the first of his six World Championship victories on the Big Island.
date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair

date : October 31, 2011
comments : 2
What is so fun about blisters, sore muscles and chafing, anyway?
date : May 5, 2008
author : marmadaddy
comments : 26
Men! Need to find out the best way to shave your legs? This video will compare 6 different leg shaving products to show male triathletes how to shave their legs.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Video on what body marking is all about during check-in.
date : July 17, 2005
Yesterday I found that my heart rate was maxed at 95% and averaged 80% for the bike and run with no breathing problems. However, I just couldn't seem to get more out of my legs. Thoughts?

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".