General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training confusion, need experts views. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-22 12:45 PM

, Quebec
Subject: training confusion, need experts views.
Hi all,

I'm a newbie, last year did a super sprint tri with a mountain bike... loved it. I started a 16 week Olympic training program about two weeks ago (my first Olympic event for me will be end of August).

Two questions:

1) Last week some friends got me to signed up for my first 10K on May 31st. Now bc of the 10K I thought I should focus on running first. Is it ok to substitute the swims for runs if i use the Galloway run/walk/run. I figured I won't injure myself and still work on my cardio doing so and et prepared for the 10K. Then passed that I would focus more on the swim or just resume the normal training program I have. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2) Also do you go by yourself training in open water? As soon as our lakes are swimmable (I'm in Canada), I thought it would be funner to go there than in a boxed chlorine pool.

Thanks!

2014-04-22 12:52 PM
in reply to: tsd8

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: RE: training confusion, need experts views.

I'm not an expert but I will attempt Q #2:

Regarding OWS, I go by myself all the time.  But I also swim in a very quiet lake (in fact a channel off that lake) next to the shore line and never more than 1/2 mile away from my starting point.  I go back and forth, sometimes quite a few times, but I try to be visible.

I also always wear a brightly colored swim cap.  I have neon yellow, green, pink, and a white one.  OWS by yourself can be incredibly relaxing but scarey too.  Remember, boats always win the war so I stay the heck away from them. 

2014-04-22 2:03 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Originally posted by tsd8

Hi all,

I'm a newbie, last year did a super sprint tri with a mountain bike... loved it. I started a 16 week Olympic training program about two weeks ago (my first Olympic event for me will be end of August).

Two questions:

1) Last week some friends got me to signed up for my first 10K on May 31st. Now bc of the 10K I thought I should focus on running first. Is it ok to substitute the swims for runs if i use the Galloway run/walk/run. I figured I won't injure myself and still work on my cardio doing so and et prepared for the 10K. Then passed that I would focus more on the swim or just resume the normal training program I have. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2) Also do you go by yourself training in open water? As soon as our lakes are swimmable (I'm in Canada), I thought it would be funner to go there than in a boxed chlorine pool.

Thanks!

I think what you're saying is that you want to replace the swim sessions in your plan with runs - is that correct?

It's hard to say how that would work... A lot of variables to consider.... For starters -

1. What's your background in running & swimming? If you have a good swimming background, it may be okay to put swimming on the shelf for a while to focus on running, but if you're brand new to swimming, that might not be the best idea.
2. What's your running background?
3. Any injury history?
4. Can you give an example of what an overall week of training looks like on your plan (frequency/duration & intensity of runs/bikes/swims)?

Let's start there, and maybe we can give you some better suggestions!

2014-04-22 2:32 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
OWS in Canada can be managed.

For example there are large stretches of the Lake Ontario Coast that have shallow draft. Same with Lake Huron. And some of the OWS swim sites (binbrook guelph lake) have shallow areas.

So for example I can go to my local beaches and swim 800 meters or so along the shore and if I ever feel bad I just stand up. Or standing up is only a few strokes of back paddling while catching my breath.

2014-04-22 4:13 PM
in reply to: jsnowash

, Quebec

1. What's your background in running & swimming? If you have a good swimming background, it may be okay to put swimming on the shelf for a while to focus on running, but if you're brand new to swimming, that might not be the best idea.
3. Any injury history?
4. Can you give an example of what an overall week of training looks like on your plan (frequency/duration & intensity of runs/bikes/swims)?

1. none in either.
2. I can run a 5K in around 30 minutes. Never gone past 5K.
3. none
- Mon: rest, Tue/Thu/Sat: bike, Wed/Fri/Sun: run
- Last week totals: 5h (2h30 bike, 1h30 run and 1h strength); ran total of 7miles, biked total 40 miles
- This week planned: 6h30 (3h30 bike, 1h30 run, 1h30 strength)

2014-04-22 4:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA

3. Any injury history?

1. none in either.
2. I can run a 5K in around 30 minutes. Never gone past 5K.
3. none
- Mon: rest, Tue/Thu/Sat: bike, Wed/Fri/Sun: run
- Last week totals: 5h (2h30 bike, 1h30 run and 1h strength); ran total of 7miles, biked total 40 miles
- This week planned: 6h30 (3h30 bike, 1h30 run, 1h30 strength)

My personal opinion....

I would keep a MINIMUM of 3 runs per week. Add another very short, very easy run if you can. For now, you could probably drop one of the bike sessions (possibly adding time to the other two). Since you have no swim background at all, it would be good if you can keep at least 2 swim sessions in per week. If you're short on time, you could drop one or more of the strength sessions and focus on swim/bike/run.

Edited by jsnowash 2014-04-22 4:27 PM

2014-04-22 6:31 PM
in reply to: #4985212

, Quebec
Awesome answers. thanks all for your input.
2014-04-22 6:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Awesome answers. thanks all for your input.

Also, with no swimming experience, OWS by yourself may not be a good idea.

And BTW, Quebec boaters are worse than their drivers :-)

Edited by marcag 2014-04-22 6:48 PM
2014-04-22 6:53 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Among the 3 sports:

Running: you can't cram for the test on this one, it's gotta be built up gradually. So doing a bit of a run focus to prep for the 10k early on could be a good thing. Getting that under your belt should give you confidence. As already pointed out, main thing is to just run often. Don't worry about running hard. Just run often.

Swimming: for making through an Oly, it's all about having the form and relaxation to carry you through without being gassed for the bike and run. It is possible to make rapid breakthroughs in this, but if you're not yet confident of swimming a mile, then paying attention to working on your swim form shortly after the 10k would be a good thing.

Biking: also possible to cram for the test on that one, but you can afford to build gradually over the summer. And you can afford to ride hard often in training. Not like running.

Good luck.
2014-04-23 7:55 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

, Quebec
Marcag, Badmo77a, Siouxcityhawk: got your points about OWS. I know shallow waters by our home, where no boaters (sober or not, quebecer or not) would go in. Just a matter of water temperature now.

Thanks colinphillips. Good points, logical. I modified my schedule a bit with what jsnowash recommended, adding one more easy run this week, for a total of 4 runs. And as soon as the 10K is done, I'll focus on the swim more and probably join a swim training group to learn faster the techniques.

Much appreciate all the feedback and support. You guys are awesome!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training confusion, need experts views. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Confusion: Garmin Connect vs Training Peaks??

Started by tigers75
Views: 5589 Posts: 10

2013-07-15 3:59 PM siouxcityhawk

Training confusion - can you help sort me out?

Started by lamb_y2003
Views: 1002 Posts: 8

2011-03-26 1:18 PM trigal38

Very new to training, abbreviation confusion

Started by Tautery
Views: 857 Posts: 2

2007-12-03 1:43 PM JohnnyKay

Set of Aero Wheels, need expert advice...

Started by Christ
Views: 1271 Posts: 21

2007-07-02 2:58 PM Christ

need advice from a shoe expert

Started by markusallen
Views: 1028 Posts: 11

2004-12-20 4:13 PM ginger ninja
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : IManTagalong
comments : 2
This is an article about my experience as a husband of a triathlete, while she trained for the Orangeman Triathlon

date : July 29, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 5
You have just imported a plan successfully, how to best view and print it? Let me count thy ways.